IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
illinisprintfan (Offline)
  #11 3/3/09 8:56 AM
Originally Posted by RichC:
What's interesting to me is that of all the places that I've been to, far and away hands down the most "homer" crowds can be found in Indiana. Even considering Pennsylvania. I think if you talked to a few of the west coast guys that came to Indy and won a championship, you'd be surprised to hear that their success wasn't always exactly welcomed by the Indiana folks. So, in a way it's kind of ironic to see a post like this. The is not intended to be a knock on Indiana at all, I love to go out there to race. Just an observation.
It's been my observation that during sprintweek, the west coast drivers get alot of support. Some of the biggest cheers from the crowd have been for west coast drivers. Kruser, Bud, Gardner, Coons and others are definately crowd favorites. There are some homers in the crowd, but the majority of fans don't care where the driver is from, just how can he drive.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #12 3/3/09 9:12 AM
I get that but I really don't consider damion, Coons and Kruiser left coasters anymore as they have toured each at least a couple years each now. I really used to enjoy Gassman, Gaunt, Rip, McSpadden and the others who came out here for the midwest tour. The two or three years I went (Early 90s?) They carried at least 12-15 cars and the locals and some USACers would make for stellar fields. Sometimes I feel that Locals consider USAC to be the plauge and avoid racing with them. (Even at their home track) at all cost. I even have had a couple drivers tell me they'd wreck you to pass you as their reason. So maybe there is some truth to what he's claiming???????????? Not defending it but there has to be a reason other than motor.

Yeah I love Sprint Week and it does draw some but Its not even close when it comes to seeing the number of non semi indiana regulars What actually impressed me was some of them guys comming out here and sometimes putting a whoopin on. Ole Bub almost ran away with Eldora. Leland ran great. Sure Im aware both campaigned out here at one time or another and both are retired.

As far as slick tracks here are concerned? Its becoming rarer IMHO and im thankful for it. I know some racers say it saves them tons of cash to run smooth slick but Huggy pole can be played with bicycles and go carts too. Not rim riding slide jobbing action

Charles Nungester
Racerrob (Offline)
  #13 3/3/09 9:39 AM
My hat is off to Wags for all he does for the racers. We need more like him to help the low budget teams that try hard to get to the next race. If he wants to root for the home town boys more power to him. Also congrats to Super Rickie for a great drive and a well deserved win.

As far as the track prep favoring the National guys over the CRA guys I think that is a misstatement.

Manzy was a "slick track" on day 2 but on day 1 it took rubber twice and we went through 7 tires over two days of racing. Additionally, the pit pass was $70.00 for what was essentially a 1 day show spread over two days.

Las Vegas was greasy at the start, tacked up for qualifying, slicked off for the heats and took rubber during the sprint B main. The feature was run on a one grove, rubber down track. Very boring racing.

Perris was constantly changing from tacky to slick with considerable holes and a large cushion at the end of the evening. It also took rubber during the sprint feature but thankfully the rubber was at the upper portion of the track allowing for multiple sliders and a pretty good show for the fans that braved the cool weather and delays for track prep.

Rob Hoffman
Rick Eaton (Offline)
  #14 3/3/09 11:04 AM
I've never known Wags to bash any USAC National driver. He doesn't care much for the USAC office though.

Wags has never claimed that the tracks are kept purposely dry for the midwestern driver's benefit. The surface at the PAS is normally tacky with a healthy cushion. On the last night of the Oval Nationals the track is always rubbered up because of 3 days of 70 plus cars. The rubbered up track is an advantage for the midwestern guys who face such surfaces on a regular basis. Factor in the excellent equipment those guys drive, as well as how they stand on the gas, and it's easy to see why they dominate out here. The National guys are just a little better than the CRA guys right now.
Knoke77 (Offline)
  #15 3/3/09 2:09 PM
Once again, nobody can deny what Wags has done over the years to put money in the hands of the low buck or beginning racers. His contributions to the sport have been outstanding and everyone should applaud his actions there.

What I was getting at is that every time there is a race run on the West coast that is not won by someone from around there then it is all due to track conditions and not their driving performance. I spent some time this morning going back through his previous weekly columns that involved races run with both groups and EVERY time a Midwest guy did good it was all because of the track being slick. I found at least 9 references in his columns saying so.

It's well documented he is not pleased with USAC (as they shouldn't be out there) but at least give credit where credit is due when our guys spend the money to go out there and help their races be a success. I'll continue to read Wags weekly columns and look at all of the great pictures him and his wife take regardless of who wins the races.

Sorry to offend anyone but this is just my opinion.
Rick Eaton (Offline)
  #16 3/3/09 3:02 PM
Hey Knoke77,

Could you go back and look at the results of those joint USAC National/CRA races and see who came out on top in the Thursday & Friday shows versus who won on Saturday? The track is always very tacky on Thursday, less so on Friday, and then rubbered up on Saturday. It would be interesting to compare.

As a fan, the only benefit I have seen to the USAC sanction here in California is the addition of the National guys coming out for the Oval Nationals. That's the best racing weekend of the year and it would suffer without them.
Knoke77 (Offline)
  #17 3/3/09 3:40 PM
Rick, I'll agree that the results do show the West coast guys running more up front on the beginning nights of multie day shows. But ask this question, is the track so tacky that it makes passing more difficult thus resulting in more cars finishing closer to where they started? Whereas on Friday night or Saturday is the track slicker with more grooves thus resulting in more passing from the back? :wink

Like I mentioned in my initial post, the West coast guys can race and race hard. There is no doubt about that as I have ran against many of them when they would come here for Sprintweek and the majority of them were fast.

I'm kicking myself in the rear now for even making this post but I felt that the Midwest guys weren't quite getting the kudos that they deserve when they run as hard as they can every race regardless of where it is at. I just hate seeing Ken put a negative light on their accomplishments.

Everyone have a good day and bring on the sunny warm weather and smell of methanol in the air! :checkered:
AERO410SCJA (Offline)
  #18 3/3/09 5:50 PM
If I was anyone from the left coast I'd be pissed at the mid-west.I missed a chance to see guys like Drake,Wise,Coons,Clauson,Ballou,Hagen,Biro,Boesplu g,Boat,Meseraull,Sweet,Whitt and now Nick Faas run weekly for any amount of time:kick
Joe Kidd
  #19 3/3/09 6:37 PM
From what I seen on the USAC video. They better figure out how to get more butts in the seats.
Tripcrwn
  #20 3/4/09 4:30 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Kidd:
From what I seen on the USAC video. They better figure out how to get more butts in the seats.
Your observation is debatable. If your viewing Jeff Kristensen's excellent Raceway Video clips of the racing at the PAS, and if you have ever been to the race track, you would know that it is a very big place. Also, as a rule most race fans choose to sit a few rows up to avoid the barrage of dirt clods and rocks. That of course is not unique to Perris, but to all types of dirt track racing. So some views of the stands on video may give the impression that there are not many in attendance as Jeff's camera is focused on the track and the lower part of the stands. And remember the video is being shot, on most occassions, from the top of the announcer's booth - giving no real shots of the crowd.

Don't get me wrong though there are times when the track could use a few more fans in the stands. But last Saturday the crowd was very good on a dusty and somewhat windy evening. The $30 ticket was well worth the price with great racing especially by the midgets.

And you know sprint car fans, at least out here, they hate any other support class running on the program. They head to the concessions, restrooms or to smoke when the other class is on the track. The only one that they seem to like is the California Lightning Sprints, but they run with those damn crutches on top. :checkered: