IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need More Input on Steel Block Series
1/10/09, 12:29 PM   #1
Need More Input on Steel Block Series
Motormasher

I would like to have more input from any of you guys that would like to see this series take off. What do we have to do to get other Racers to participate?

Be specific on what you think we need.

1/11/09, 10:38 AM   #2
Re: Need More Input on Steel Block Series
kcarm92

First off we supported sams mscs, now on his new steel block deal, needs to be wet sump,23 degree heads,and one pc injection so u can build a fairly cheap engine you would also get a few mod guys who want to move up but back to the travling deal if all u can afford is a steel block u probaly cant afford to travel alot anyway,and i know u probaly wont like this but they do need a spec tire. also a small wing on top only,just to get indiana promotors interested,something other than what they run weekly,just my input:thumb

1/11/09, 11:56 AM   #3
Motormasher

Thank you for your input.
I like the 23 degree head idea, not sure about the wet sump but would like to know why you think thats a good idea? I like the one piece injection but would like to see it minimized to 1 5/8 no matter what, but IF we had a 1 3/4 header it wouldn't matter what size injection you had on it, it would cut the horse power down, but I think I see your point, the 1 piece injections might be cheaper to buy, right?
I have always thought we could run a limited wing class if we made the wings 4x4 or 4x5? Problem there is not sure who makes wings that size or if guys want to run them.
Please keep the ideas coming......

1/11/09, 12:42 PM   #4
njtraveler

I would keep it open to wet or dry sumps, carb or injection to be able to allow many mod and stock car guys to go purchase a 3-5 thousand dollar roller and go compete. Possibly require weight rule for the dry/inj. guys over the other. Also, the 16 square wing is produced by the hundreds in PA for the 358 class by many different manufacturers, and any builder out here would be able to produce them easily if there is a potential market. Just keep it simple.

1/11/09, 3:57 PM   #5
Motormasher

I have researched the 1 piece injection and found out that its easy to have a 3 piece inj welded together so that idea isn't gonna work. But if its limited to size it can be checked with a ball on a string dropped into the inj tube quite easily. Also header diameter can also be measered quite easily.

1/11/09, 5:31 PM   #6
DGMJR71

As a mod racer myself if they were to allow steel block carb motors we would be very interested in joing the series

1/11/09, 7:26 PM   #7
Racer12

I thought the idea of a steel block series is to make it cheaper for the racer? Why would you add a $400-$500 wing to the series. Plus if you are serious you have to have two of them and the mounting hardware as well. Also you then have to have a bigger trailer to haul 1 or 2 wings around. Wing racing has proven to be unsuccesful in Indiana time and time again. Just my two cents.

Bob Shutt

1/11/09, 7:31 PM   #8
SamSr32

SCORA Steel Block Series invites carb motors, especially the modified guys that are interested in the switch.

1/11/09, 8:26 PM   #9
Sprinter56

I believe if something were to take off well enough to succeed next year it would have to be primarily motors people have now they can bolt into a car and race. Obviously the steel blocks at paragon aren't going to swap out motor components to go run these races, and for that matter, drive farther for the same payout. Don't think wings would be a great idea at least for now. If you make it easy for someone to do they will be more likely to do it!!!!

1/11/09, 8:39 PM   #10
RacinFool

I ran with ESS and some URC in the east during the 80's with small wings, I would allow for a small top wing but NO:thumb front wing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need More Input on Steel Block Series