IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
HoosierDirt (Offline)
  #1 1/5/09 5:32 AM
Does the waiver you sign protect you from being sued for any damages to personel property in the pits ?

Is it enter at your own risk?????
6157 (Offline)
  #2 1/5/09 5:58 AM
Originally Posted by HoosierDirt:
Does the waiver you sign protect you from being sued for any damages to personel property in the pits ?

Is it enter at your own risk?????
We need Cary Agajanian to answer this but if I understand what you're asking correctly, the waiver doesn't cover property damage because otherwise drivers could sue drivers left and right for on-track incidents. Is there a specific situation you can reference?

However, depending on the negligence factor, the waiver may not protect you from anything
cmakin (Offline)
  #3 1/5/09 8:28 AM
My understanding of the waiver is to protect the track's interests from being sued if the participant is harmed or injured. Of course, the infamous Wolfgang lawsuit put some question to the viability of the waivers.

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
fifthwheel (Offline)
  #4 1/5/09 9:31 AM
I believe the promoter at the Hoosierdome in 1994 ended up making a settlement of some kind with the family of the crewmember that was fatally injured there.
Dyno Don (Offline)
  #5 1/5/09 9:42 AM
Originally Posted by fifthwheel:
I believe the promoter at the Hoosierdome in 1994 ended up making a settlement of some kind with the family of the crewmember that was fatally injured there.
Man,was it really 1994?

I was there that night and it is hard to believe that it has been 18 years. Time sure flies.
Seadog (Offline)
  #6 1/5/09 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Dyno Don:
Man,was it really 1994?

I was there that night and it is hard to believe that it has been 18 years. Time sure flies.
1994 + 18 years means it's now 2012. I didn't know I was sleeping that long.:O: Just messin's with ya.:thumb

One of my Dad's friends was injured in that deal. That was a very sad day.
egh170 (Offline)
  #7 1/5/09 11:04 AM
If I remember correctly, That particular car pit was outside the concrete barriers because of the lack of room inside the barrier. The promoter should have been liable because he failed to provide a safe environment for that crew.
Dyno Don (Offline)
  #8 1/5/09 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Seadog:
1994 + 18 years means it's now 2012. I didn't know I was sleeping that long.:O: Just messin's with ya.:thumb

One of my Dad's friends was injured in that deal. That was a very sad day.
Meant 14, typo.
fifthwheel (Offline)
  #9 1/5/09 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by egh170:
If I remember correctly, That particular car pit was outside the concrete barriers because of the lack of room inside the barrier. The promoter should have been liable because he failed to provide a safe environment for that crew.
Cliff Jacobs (driver Ted Hines) car was the one hit. They were inside the barrier at the end of the row. The car that came off the track went through the turn 3 opening.
itsanonwingthing (Offline)
  #10 1/5/09 12:31 PM
Chris Simmons was the driver of the car that entered the pit area, killing a crew member for the car driven by Willy T. Ribbs.

Here is a link to some of the Indiana Court of Appeals legal mumbo jumbo regarding a suit filed by Anita Smith, the wife of Larry Smith, who was fatally injured.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions...89901.jgb.html

Keith Wendel
It's a Non Wing thing,.......you wouldn't understand!