IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Tripcrwn
  #11 11/20/08 5:20 PM
I met Hunter at the Oval Nationals in Perris this year. He came across as a terrific young man and gave the impression that he was very serious minded. I asked about his plans for next year and he stated that he wasn't sure, but that he hoped something would come together @ the Chili Bowl. Very impressed with Hunter off the track. He didn't have a very good west coast swing, but I am sure he will be in someone's car next year. He had a great ride in the Priestly #7. I must have watched the clip of him coming from the back @ Kokomo at least 10 times. What a driver! We even bought a hoodie from Hunter, who I believe represents the best of USAC and sprint car racing. :applaud: :applaud:
KOP (Offline)
  #12 11/20/08 5:46 PM
Jeff Walker is one of the true hard core supporters in our sport. For anyone that says anything negative towards him regarding this issue just needs to step back and chill out. Walker lost his partner last year (Guiducci ) due to budget cut backs.
Walker has a business to run and needs to look out after that first. When push comes to shove, Walker is known to spend some cash and take the car out of the shop on his own dime. Current economics may curtail that. Time will tell.

Hunter and Walker were just awesome in 2008. The successes they had leaves no doubt that Hunter will land a seat for 2009. I trust he has got options now but may be looking to see if a "top flight" ride becomes available first. I'm sure things will turn out OK in the end.
OpenwheelRob (Offline)
  #13 11/20/08 5:50 PM
Originally Posted by davex:
Can you really blame a owner wanting someone with money? I mean seriously think about it. If you were a car owner, would you want someone with money so you know you will profit or someone with talent and no money. Just look at it as if it was your own car and I think just about anyone in the world like to profit in any scenario...
Sure you can blame car owners! This is why we end up having people like Hmeil, Walker and Fike back in cars and these talented drivers watching. This is a prime example of what happens when $ means more than talent, which has happened a lot in recent years.

It's why you have people like Mr. Ballou coming on here looking for a ride, but then read about how a drug addict is winning races!

Nobody is making money racing, you're lucky to break even. If I had the money some of these owners had and could afford it, I would look at ATTITUDE followed closely by TALENT.
micro94 (Offline)
  #14 11/20/08 6:33 PM
My opinion doesn't count to anybody but me but.If you have talent you make races,you make races money comes.If you have a nobody you don't make races and will be nickled and dimed in the long run.Who do you know that put's somebody in a car that has some money knowing they are going to leave the shop to run 10th in the B or C?
miledirt (Offline)
  #15 11/20/08 6:49 PM
Originally Posted by micro94:
My opinion doesn't count to anybody but me but.If you have talent you make races,you make races money comes.If you have a nobody you don't make races and will be nickled and dimed in the long run.Who do you know that put's somebody in a car that has some money knowing they are going to leave the shop to run 10th in the B or C?
It's certainly apples and oranges...but no doubt this happened and happens in the IRL. Look at who AJ Foyt puts in his Indy Cars, the guy who brings cash. I'll never forget when Beechler lost his ride and it was all about money. The year before, he had finished 5th in points tied with Al Jr.

Not necessarily bad mouthing...it's just the reality...sometimes some owners, in some series, will put mediocre talent in the car above better talent because of $.
onthegas7j (Offline)
  #16 11/21/08 10:28 AM
very true, beechler did a job job for aj then it came down to the money, same with jeff ward and billy boat
Hubie (Offline)
  #17 11/21/08 11:30 AM
Racing is about money. The sprint car game has turned into a giant rent a ride for aspiring Stock Car drivers. If I remember correctly, Dave Darland used to drive that #11.

He was no slouch.........
onthcushin (Offline)
  #18 11/21/08 12:19 PM
It is still about $$$$$$$ What ever happened to wanting to win
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #19 11/21/08 11:40 PM
You can want to win all you want, but it takes money to do it. Remember, if you are a self funded team, and winning, only one guy makes money. That guy is the driver. The only financial stake he has is to win. You don't win, you get any money.

The owner on the other hand has to pay the bills everytime out, win , wreck, or whatever may happen. Look at the Fox brothers if you want an example. They won alot of races, but only half the purse, the driver the other half. It ain't easy that's for sure.

Hunter will land on his feet. Remember the box he was in the start of the year. He got out of it and turned his season around.He definately knows how to wheel it.
zeroracer (Offline)
  #20 11/22/08 8:09 AM
he was just as fast in the family 35 car....