IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Zealand/Australia Info needed
11/9/08, 8:58 AM   #1
New Zealand/Australia Info needed
Spud

I will be going to New Zealand with the band I work for in January and I would like to try and see some racing while I'm there. I will be in Wellington around Jan 12-19. Does anybody know of any tracks in that area that have Sprints or Midgets? I will also be going to Australia after that. If anybody has info or websites about openwheel racing in Australia that would also be nice. Thanks

11/9/08, 9:41 AM   #2
Re: New Zealand/Australia Info needed
wobbler

Hey Spud I am not too sure what racing if any could be found around Wellington that time but I can certainly help you out with Aussie info.
www.australianspeedway.com is a forum similar to this one and has plenty of info
www.sprintcarworld.com.au is everything Sprintcar
www.speedcarworld.com.au is everything midget racing

Hope this is a start in the right direction

11/9/08, 12:34 PM   #3
fotojeff

Check out www.midgetracingnews.com

They are based in New Zealand.
They have a contacts page on their website. Hopefully they can help out more.

I know they are based near the Auckland area, but they do a great job covering midget racing from all over the world.

Good luck and have a great time!

11/9/08, 11:18 PM   #4
ethel

www.sprintcarworld.co.nz

11/9/08, 11:52 PM   #5
steve_g

Try http://www.speedway.co.nz - they are the governing body of all dirt racing in NZ. Go to their website and click on "Tracks". This has a list of all tracks in NZ. Each track has a website and you can find their individual race schedules from there. It should be relatively easy to find out what is happening and where.
If that fails try http://www.wellingtonspeedway.co.nz/
Looks like there will be sprintcars at Palmerston North Speedway on the 17th - may even be some international drivers there. Go to http://www.pnspeedway.co.nz/

:checkered:
Last edited by steve_g; 11/10/08 at 12:07 AM.

11/10/08, 5:57 AM   #6
onewww

January 17, 2008 – Stratford Speedway are scheduled to run round 8 (of 12) of the National Midget Car Series. About 30 entries are expected, including the top 20 New Zealand midget drivers.

Sadly(?) on the same night Palmerston North Speedway will run the Manawatu Sprintcar Championships – this event is expected to attract the top NZ drivers along with 3-4(?) USA drivers.

Parmerston North is approximately 88 miles (2hr drive) from Wellington.
Stratford (close to New Plymouth) is approximately) 218 miles (5hr drive) from Wellington.

Travelplanner link

11/10/08, 1:20 PM   #7
badcoupe

western springs sprint speedway. We had a guy from there come up and run tqs with a few years back. Bryce townsend was his name, won every feature he finished

11/11/08, 3:21 PM   #8
Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
Where in Australia will you be going?
I will be going all over Australia. I'm working with Leonard Cohen on his World Tour as the Bass tech. I don't think I will have time in Australia to see any racing, but I will be hanging out in New Zealand for about a week waiting for all the band equipment to get there. I'm in England now, but I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago and managed to get a tour of the Ferrari factory. It may not be sprint cars but it was very cool seeing how they build their road cars. And I got to see the newest Ferrari, The California, before it was shown to the public.

Thanks for all the info, if I get a chance to see some racing down under:Steer I will write a report.

11/16/08, 3:46 AM   #9
ajretz

I will be in New Zealand Jan 26-29, and in Oz for hopefully a year.

Already planning on the Jan 28 Midget show at Western Springs.

What is the outlook for the Perth area for Feb 1 and on?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Zealand/Australia Info needed