IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo, Robbie Stanley Memorial Race
8/12/08, 5:20 AM   #1
Kokomo, Robbie Stanley Memorial Race
Melmo

Due to a rain out at the Mini Indy raceway the Kokomo Quarter Midget raceway will hold this event this weekend. There will be well over 300 cars showing up. So if you have nothing to do come on out and its all FREE!!!

For all info. click on the Regional Flyer: http://kqmc.org/

Robbie Stanley, who swept three consecutive USAC National Sprint Car Championships in 1991, 1992 and 1993 before his career ended in a 1994 accident at Winchester, Ind., will again be honored by the Kokomo Quarter Midget raceway Aug. 17-18.

"Robbie is one of our most revered champions and we are indeed proud that CIQMA continues to honor his legacy," says USAC President/CEO Kevin Miller. "This race has produced some great champions who have graduated to USAC's ranks and we look forward to welcoming this year's champion as their career matures."

The Stanley Family, heavily involved in the sport of quarter-midget racing, fielded a quarter-midget for Robbie, who as a child competed against such notables as Jeff Gordon, Stevie Reeves, Eric Gordon, Tracy Hines and Ted Hines. The Stanleys were members of the Big Z Quarter Midget Track located in Wanamaker, Ind. on Indianapolis' east side, which closed, leading to the construction of the Mini-Indy track.

The winner of the Sunday morning (Aug. 17) Heavy AA Class will earn the title of "Robbie Stanley Memorial" Champion and will follow in the footsteps of some of the sport's greatest talents. Katlyn Stanley, daughter of Robbie's brother Ryan, is scheduled to compete in her first Heavy AA event this year at age 11. This class utilizes DECO AA powerplants, the first modified engine used in QMA racing. They are eight-cubic-inch cast-iron flathead engines with 15 horsepower running on alcohol.

Robbie's father Ron, mother Rita, brother Ryan and sister Ronda are all expected to be in attendance to present the trophies.

Past winners of the Robbie Stanley Memorial Race included Indy Racing League and Indianapolis 500 veteran Ed Carpenter (1996), current USAC stars Shane Hollingsworth (1997), Billy Wease (1998), Cameron Dodson (2002), Andy Nock (2004) and Adam Wilsdon (2007), plus Jenny White (1995), Shannon Mockler (1999), Courtney Gallogly (2000), Billy Lewis (2001), Tyler Nuckles (2003), Chris Perry (2005) and Cole Duncan (2006).

The event takes place on Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 16-17 at the Kokomo Quarter Midget Track Kokomo Indiana.

Robbie's USAC career included nine feature wins, including three in the "Rich Vogler Classic" and one in the "Don Branson/Jud Larson Classic." One of only four drivers to win at least three USAC National Sprint titles, Robbie has been remembered each year since 2001 in the presentation of the "Robbie Stanley Classic" USAC Sprint Car race.

8/12/08, 5:56 AM   #2
Re: Kokomo, Robbie Stanley Memorial Race
Dwight Clock

Slight correction. Saturday & Sunday is the 16th & 17th of August, not the 17th & 18th. Go, Starla!!!:applaud::thumb

8/13/08, 4:37 AM   #3
Melmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
Slight correction. Saturday & Sunday is the 16th & 17th of August, not the 17th & 18th. Go, Starla!!!:applaud::thumb
Woops thanks Dwight!!! :thumb

8/13/08, 3:19 PM   #4
Melmo

Also to remember who knows who's going to show up this year. Several sprint car drivers and car owners have showed up at this event for the last several years. To name a few and I know I will forget some so please help me out!!! Dave Darland, Josh Spencer, Shane Cottle, Monte Edison, Jerry Spencer to name a few. I know I'm missing several so please help. Oh Tony Elliot.

Also to remember there will be several IOW members meeting at the track before heading over to the Kokomo Speedway. So if there are some new IOW members coming let me know so I can look out for you. Who knows Mr. Funk might show up.

Remember this event is FREE yes I said FREE!!! Also the KQMC club is well known for the best food around.

8/13/08, 7:06 PM   #5
firecaptnh

Good luck Starla and all the KQMC gang. :thumb

8/14/08, 12:06 PM   #6
worm

Hope to see everyone there on Sunday for the BIG Robbie Stanley race!!

lots of very talented drivers have won this event!!

Should be a great time.
Everyone heading to Kokomo speedway on Sunday stop out by the quarter midget track and say HI its FREE!!

Thanks
Jeremy Jameson

8/14/08, 4:29 PM   #7
Jerry Spencer

Bump

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

8/14/08, 9:14 PM   #8
TQ97

Sorry to say we won't be at either. Austin's motor is in the shop and my TQ is done for the year with lots of motor problems. Was looking forward to running at Kokomo Sun. night.

8/15/08, 5:47 PM   #9
Joe Kidd

Just talked to Melmo. Seems like they are starting to role in. He has been helping with the parking. Should be a good weekend weather wise also. :thumb

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo, Robbie Stanley Memorial Race