IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Early season (Spring) Racing.
4/7/22, 9:39 PM   #1
Early season (Spring) Racing.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

lately I've seen a lot of the comments for tracks canceling this weekend “I don’t why they even try to race this time of year?”
Here's an example “why” so many tracks schedule races early in the year.
As racetracks, they only get so many days a year to race.
On average, many tracks get about 18-25 races in if their lucky depending on weather.
That’s just over 2 1/2 -3 1/2 weeks being open in a 365-day calendar year.
Mother Nature dictates tracks schedules & the last couple years, the pandemic has too.
If they don’t put early dates on the calendar, they could miss out on an opportunity to get a show in if it’s 60-70 degrees.
They could have some very well known, top tier teams headed past other tracks for a rare opportunity to race with at another track on a particular weekend if Mother Nature cooperates and that should make a track feel so very fortunate and humbled that said team decide to race with them on said weekend.
That just might help put a few more butts in the stands if a track knows said driver and team will be there on a weekend and might just help that particlar driver and team sell some merch if they have it.
Every night they lose to the weather is an income opportunity lost. There are less and less privately / locally owned racetracks remaining in the country each year.
Racing is a game of risk no matter what side of the industry you’re on.
Sometimes you gamble and win, others you gamble and lose but you can’t get the win if you don’t show up and try.

Too those promoters and track owners that run tracks all across the U.S. thumbs up for the effort you put in to keep your tracks open.

Just my two cents.

4/7/22, 10:41 PM   #2
Re: Early season (Spring) Racing.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Lot easier to cancel early on a bad forecast too, when Diesel is six bucks a gallon. Also easier for some to switch from say Saturday to Sunday than others.

2 members like this post: DaveP63, jdull99
4/9/22, 7:07 PM   #3
Re: Early season (Spring) Racing.
DaveP63

Paragon international super speedway ran early races (at least once on Easter) back in the olden times (1980s)

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Early season (Spring) Racing.