IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Twin Cities BOSS cancelled?
8/26/21, 4:03 PM   #11
pcabel04@yahoo.com

You nailed it

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/26/21, 4:50 PM   #12
Re: Twin Cities BOSS cancelled?
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
So where are the other seventy cars supposed to race that know they got little shot at making the feature of a USAC race?
The Beach or to dinner with their family.

3 members like this post: PIT CART, rick42, tirespinner
8/27/21, 7:01 AM   #13
Dues

In my opinion, this is one of the most fun "big event" races in the area. The smackdown has an awesome atmosphere & energy all weekend long. Being a local driver myself, I agree with the idea of other tracks not scheduling against large events like this IF usac/kokomo would make it worth it for local guys to come. I think if they want to get everyone behind a big event like this they need to do a similar pay structure to Knoxville's Corn Belt nationals.
Knoxville - $600 just to start the B-main
Kokomo - $150 for all non transfers

If the smackdown made it worth the local guys to show up, I would 100% support all tracks not scheduling against it. Until then I understand why they still do. Just my 2 cents but I think they are happy with current car counts and feel no need to make this change but think this could be an even larger event if they wanted it to.

8/27/21, 10:44 AM   #14
Sandy Lowe

So you would rather drive to Knoxville, IA for $600 to start the B Main rather than drive to Kokomo, IN for $150 to the start the B Main & $1,500 to start the feature?

If all the local fans who are going to watch a sprint race in person this weekend spent their money at Kokomo maybe the $150 non transfer could be bumped up. 100 extra fans at Kokomo at $35 each is potentially $3,500 more dollars that could grow the purse.
Last edited by Sandy Lowe; 8/27/21 at 10:48 AM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, PJ Wright, tirespinner
8/27/21, 11:03 AM   #15
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dues View Post
In my opinion, this is one of the most fun "big event" races in the area. The smackdown has an awesome atmosphere & energy all weekend long. Being a local driver myself, I agree with the idea of other tracks not scheduling against large events like this IF usac/kokomo would make it worth it for local guys to come. I think if they want to get everyone behind a big event like this they need to do a similar pay structure to Knoxville's Corn Belt nationals.

If the smackdown made it worth the local guys to show up, I would 100% support all tracks not scheduling against it. Until then I understand why they still do. Just my 2 cents but I think they are happy with current car counts and feel no need to make this change but think this could be an even larger event if they wanted it to.
I understand where you’re coming from as I was a very low buck local racer for years but the difference is a large percentage of smack down cars come from Indiana whereas Knoxville has an equally large percentage of cars that come from outside Iowa.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/27/21, 11:37 AM   #16
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dues View Post

Good post. I think it wouldn't take a bunch more cars or fans to make that happen. I also think the more car and fan participation you get, the more sponsorhip deals can come in.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, oppweld, tirespinner
8/27/21, 11:44 AM   #17
Dues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
So you would rather drive to Knoxville, IA for $600 to start the B Main rather than drive to Kokomo, IN for $150 to the start the B Main & $1,500 to start the feature?

If all the local fans who are going to watch a sprint race in person this weekend spent their money at Kokomo maybe the $150 non transfer could be bumped up. 100 extra fans at Kokomo at $35 each is potentially $3,500 more dollars that could grow the purse.

I am not saying I would rather do one or the other. I have gone to both and treat them as a vacation so both are equally as great to me. It was easier to justify Knoxville because it paid so well deep into the field.
I am just comparing the two events since they are both "big ticket" events for USAC & how the locals out there are willing to come race with big names fully knowing they aren't likely to make a show as well as some locals from around here willing tow out there for it.
I feel if smackdown were to follow more of a pay out scale like Knoxville then maybe locals around here would be more willing to come. Also there might me drivers from farther away that have heard how great Kokomo is but live to far away to come for a Sunday show but a big paying 4 day show that they can turn into a vacation and still cover some cost would be worth making the drive. Similar to how Knoxville was for me.
Last edited by Dues; 8/27/21 at 11:51 AM.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, oppweld, tirespinner, treecitytornado
8/27/21, 12:02 PM   #18
Moreland76

Would something like this work? If you run the first two nites you get $300 for missing the show on Saturday instead of the Usac $150. That would be close to start money at all the local tracks around here. I personally enjoyed Boss being at Smackdown.

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
8/27/21, 12:08 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:

Got nothing against the Smack down, Wish it well and 1500 to start is great money for last. You do potentially have to race three days to get that though.

My personal situation doesn't allow me to get more than a little over a hour from home with family member health.

Bottom line, While I was going to go to a race this weekend, Now i am not..

Hope everyone has a good weekend

8/27/21, 12:53 PM   #20
hsracer577

Quote:

Or you could take $500 from each A-main starting position and be able to pay 44 non transfer cars $400 instead of $150 and still pay $1000 to start.

4 members like this post: snowdrift, tirespinner, TQ97, treecitytornado
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Twin Cities BOSS cancelled?