IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
TCR57 (Offline)
  #1 7/27/21 10:19 PM
Hi All,
I thought some of you at some point in your travels may have met our friend Dave Egan. AKA Cigar Dave. He was a passionate fan of the sport we love and traveled nearly every weekend chasing the next “30 lap orgasm”. He passed away unexpectedly Sunday evening.

If anyone is so inclined, there is a GoFundMe set up to help his wife Jen with funeral and medical expenses. - https://www.gofundme.com/f/cigar-dav...cp+share-sheet

A friend to many, and most importantly a husband and father, Dave Egan passed away unexpectedly Sunday, July 25th. His wife confirmed he went out a hero- as an organ donor- largely influenced by the Driven 2 Save Lives movement that occurred after Bryan Clauson’s death in a dirt track racing accident in 2016. To call Dave a fan of motorsports would be an understatement. He was THE fan of motorsports. Many got to know him as “Cigar Dave”, who never knew a stranger, and always took a genuine interest in whomever he would meet. He was so much more than a passionate race fan, but to us, that is how we knew him and we looked forward to seeing him on any given night at a race track. Our hearts are heavy knowing our friend has made his final lap.

To honor Dave, we have created this Go Fund Me to provide his wife, Jen, financial support for Funeral and Medical expenses. Jen shared, “Dave was my “person”, my bestie & I don’t know how I’m going to live this life without him. I don’t want to live it without him & as reality is setting in with funeral, medical bills & loss of his income it’s overwhelming…”

We know the motorsports community is a tight knit family, and ask for your support. We also know Dave has a network of friends and family in Ohio as well that we encourage to spread awareness about the opportunity to support Jen and her sons through this difficult time.
3 Likes: Chief Wahoo, nathans1012, Stevensville Mike
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #2 7/27/21 11:28 PM
Met Dave at Hartford, MI a few years back. Good dude and diehard race fan.
Prayers to his family and friends.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #3 7/28/21 10:47 PM
Being a fan of many tracks, I have to say one could not miss Dave at the track. He brought attention to everyone in attendance when he was up talking to folks.

I am going to miss hearing "STEVENSVILLE MIKE!" at any various track up here in MI or down in IN as I was walking along through the crowd/grandstand..... or men's room.

Early on I realized avoiding him was much easier than talking to him as he spoke loudly in a Rodney Dangerfield manner. Then after awhile, I realized I was blessed to be called out by him and stand next to him as he spoke from his heart about racing, life, and Arena Football. The latter which he played a few years.

I am happy to day I ran into him back at Hartford on July 9, 2021, after a year off for me due to the COVID situation. He looked a little thinner, but my open mind told me that maybe he was just trying to get into a little better shape. People do that, you know. I asked him how he was doing and he gave me what one would usually say, something like, "Oh, okay."

We chatted, shot the sh-t, he bellowed as he usually did (much to the delight of anyone he was addressing), and in the end we shook hands. A handshake is everything to a lot of gentlemen.

I am so honored for that handshake.

I am going to miss him at the track, that is for sure. And I am not the only one. I just hope the man went peacefully.

And you know, I have a feeling Dave will not mind too much when he is laid to rest. He was a dirt track fan and probably will not mind having it thrown over him.

RIP to the #1 Race Fan of All Time. Hands down.

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, nathans1012, oppweld, tirespinner
Racing John (Offline)
  #4 7/28/21 11:23 PM
Dave was a close personal friend of mine, we have hit 100’s of races together, camped, hotel rooms with our kids, he called me 3-5 times a week, always left a message, wish I didn’t delete his messages. Every Friday I would get a call from him saying “It’s Race Day” like it was his first ever. Seen him the day before all this happened, sure going to miss my friend, and pray for healing for his wife and 2 boys.
6 Likes: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, luckybuc97, oppweld, tirespinner
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #5 7/29/21 10:07 AM
I’ve been lucky to have been friends with Dave for probably close to 20 years. Back when I was flagging I usually had a cigar in my mouth and that’s probably what our first conversation was about. His enthusiasm for everything was great, his analogies were priceless. I was fortunate to introduce him to plenty of people and I don’t think he ever met a stranger. I know I speak for plenty when I say he will be missed. I miss him already