IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Off Topic.. R.I.P. Bobby Unser
5/3/21, 12:29 PM   #1
Off Topic.. R.I.P. Bobby Unser
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

OFF TOPIC

R.I.P. Bobby Unser.
Prayers to the Unser family.

From IMS website

http://https://www.indianapolismotor...WRGUjzsJT5tvhI

5/3/21, 12:55 PM   #2
Re: Off Topic.. R.I.P. Bobby Unser
Rick Eaton

If you can find Bobby's interviews (I think that there were two) on the Continental Tires Dinner with Racers Podcast you won't be sorry. Some amazing stories!

5/3/21, 1:15 PM   #3
Therealether

Not off topic at all. A true legend of motorsport has left us.

5/3/21, 4:19 PM   #4
Rapid Rick

Bobby's passing makes me feel sad and old. Seems like not so long ago that the great lion was young and hungry. Sincere condolences to the Unser family.

5/3/21, 5:10 PM   #5
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Arguably the best ever at getting the maximum out of a car in qualifications at Indianapolis!
Rest In Peace, Bobby Unser!

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, tirespinner
5/3/21, 5:37 PM   #6
Dougherty20

Bobby was my favorite Indy Car driver growing up. One of the greatest of all time, who retired on top of his game.

RIP

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ken Bonnema, Puppy, sw1911, tirespinner
5/3/21, 6:35 PM   #7
HDbill

I was given a motivational book ghost written with Bobby. It was a fabulous book that I enjoyed immensely. I gave it to him at the Midget Hall of Fame luncheon in Tulsa and asked him to autograph it for the person that gave me the book. We talked like he knew me for years. And we both had a laugh because we had a very strange thing in common. We both won significant races with re-cap tires with ground up walnut shell in the tires. His were made by a friend of his fathers in New Mexico and mine were made in the north east Neither one of us had enough money for the good stuff. Winning is winning it doesn't matter how you get there. Bobby won Pikes Peak multiple times with those recaps until a race sponsor tried to get them banned. Free tires is the only thing that got him to take the recaps off. Anyone lucky enough to get to talk with him is lucky enough.

5/3/21, 8:54 PM   #8
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Came up through the tough times, Successfully. Died of old age RIP Airman

5/4/21, 9:13 AM   #9
jonboat15

Sad news. He was a great racer and quite a character from what I've heard. I used to love listening to him do Indy Car broadcasts on TV, until the politically correct wave happened. The man told it like it was. RIP

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, mc/rider
5/4/21, 3:06 PM   #10
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDbill View Post
I was given a motivational book ghost written with Bobby. It was a fabulous book that I enjoyed immensely. I gave it to him at the Midget Hall of Fame luncheon in Tulsa and asked him to autograph it for the person that gave me the book. We talked like he knew me for years. And we both had a laugh because we had a very strange thing in common. We both won significant races with re-cap tires with ground up walnut shell in the tires. His were made by a friend of his fathers in New Mexico and mine were made in the north east Neither one of us had enough money for the good stuff. Winning is winning it doesn't matter how you get there. Bobby won Pikes Peak multiple times with those recaps until a race sponsor tried to get them banned. Free tires is the only thing that got him to take the recaps off. Anyone lucky enough to get to talk with him is lucky enough.
I remember reading about the walnut-laced tires, oh..... 30+ years ago in the book "The Unbelievable Unsers". A good read, by the way. Innovation of the sort is rare in today's motorsports wherein so many things are spec.

There is also a good part in there where their personal garage in Albuquerque was rushed by upset rival drivers from an earlier race that night. Bobby was brandishing a rifle defending their home turf and if I remember correctly, Al pointed out that he was ready to use it.

R.I.P.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Off Topic.. R.I.P. Bobby Unser