IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom
11/21/20, 8:46 AM   #61
Re: Windom
racenut69

Quote:
Originally Posted by proz1x View Post
there’s a long story to that and danica patrick has the answer!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/21/20, 9:19 AM   #62
Josh Spencer

You couldn’t hold Steve Butler’s driving bag. He had more talent in his pinky than most. Just look up his results and the short amount of time he raced and see if your comment makes sense?!?

Josh Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
. Butler was a squirrel that you couldn’t race side by side with. One of the best victory lane interviews I’ve ever heard was Ron Shuman after the Hoosier Hundred when Butler almost took himself, Shuman and Jeff Swindell out on the last lap. Shuman said “ I’ve always heard Steve Butler was the dumbest SOB in racing now I know why “.
Last edited by Josh Spencer; 11/21/20 at 10:32 AM.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Jbaldwin, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, PIT CART
11/21/20, 10:23 AM   #63
Longtime sprinter

That’s exactly what I was thinking about. Also wanted to add, a lot of it may be because of the pressure on these guys to win. It’s not a family sport anymore, it’s a high buck business. These young men are competing for the race, but also for a possible opportunity to drive for a high dollar team, and a possible move up the racing ladder, ala Chase Briscoe, Tony Stewart, etc.

1 member likes this post: dirt330
11/21/20, 11:28 AM   #64
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Spencer View Post
You couldn’t hold Steve Butler’s driving bag. He had more talent in his pinky than most. Just look up his results and the short amount of time he raced and see if your comment makes sense?!?

Josh Spencer
I was there when he was racing we ran against him all the time. I didn’t say he didn’t have a lot of talent. He did have a lot of talent but a lot of times he would just slam into you and take you out rather than pass you clean. He always had the same excuse “ I didn’t see you “.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Fox.53, Speedmax3
11/21/20, 4:23 PM   #65
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
If I remember right, nasty slide job on Bill Rose, with Rose going out of the ball park between 3 and 4 at Terra Haute. I really think that had Hewitt not put Butler on his 4 wheeler and got him away from that crowd, they would have beaten him badly. That was not the first bad slider Steve had tried.
Jim, I was at Terre Haute when that occurred. The number 25 car that Steve Butler was driving was vandalized by that crowd.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld, sc17x
11/21/20, 5:37 PM   #66
erich45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
I was there when he was racing we ran against him all the time. I didn’t say he didn’t have a lot of talent. He did have a lot of talent but a lot of times he would just slam into you and take you out rather than pass you clean. He always had the same excuse “ I didn’t see you “.
Well, he did wear some pretty thick glasses.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, jim goerge
11/21/20, 9:22 PM   #67
rockstar5

Is anyone really surprised? Windom hasn't earned s**t! One of these days he'll do it to the wrong person....

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/21/20, 11:12 PM   #68
jim goerge

We all know the old saying What goes around comes back to bite ya in the a$$

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, rockstar5
11/23/20, 2:03 PM   #69
TBarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
You are a driver it's the last lap and you may have only this one chance in your career to join the USAC Triple Crown list of course you are going to do whatever you have to do to get there. I would say most in the field would do the same thing in that situation.

People may not like it but one thing history will say is Chris Windom USAC Triple Crown winner.
I bet Tim wouldn't have done that.

11/23/20, 3:27 PM   #70
ISF

The record will show that Windom won championships in all 3 National touring divisions during his career. If he's comfortable and secure winning it this way and the guy he had to dump to make it happen is okay with it then I reckon it is what it is. But, to many of us who will always remember how this came down it will never hold the same prestige and honor than if he'd have won it without the last lap desperation cheap shot. None of that may mean a damn thing to Windom but to some of us it does.

4 members like this post: bighd0522, jim goerge, luckybuc97, WinglessLovers
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom