IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala
2/8/20, 11:57 PM   #31
flagboy55

Anyone else disappointed with car count? I completely understand there’s lot of reasons, travel expenses, vacation time and so on that needs to be considered but when you get 350 in Tulsa, you would think you could get a tenth of that at a real race, especially with no competition on this continent

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/9/20, 4:46 AM   #32
Re: Ocala
jdull99

Thankfully, it appears, there were some local teams that ran (padding the car count)..but, perhaps all is not right with the big-team business model to run a high number of races across the country...? Let's hope/assume when they get back closer to Indy there will be solid 22+ car fields...I'd have to check of any conflicts with the POWRi schedule, but I fear there could be some issues (like less than 18 cars), again this summer...maybe everyone can't afford the latest and greatest engine, shock package, carbon fiber body, etc...??? Time will tell. The season is young!

I was trying to recall the thread on this from back in like November?..Seems this concern was well discussed...? Likely not much came from it tho...(lol).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 2/9/20 at 4:48 AM.

3 members like this post: interpreter66, sprinter31, tirespinner
2/9/20, 1:15 PM   #33
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 16
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
It really was Now after I posted that I heard Klepper say they are expecting 20 tomorrow night.
Well that 20 count for Saturday missed by 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Eckel

2/9/20, 1:26 PM   #34
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinglessLovers View Post
Well that 20 count for Saturday missed by 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Eckel
Yes it did, not sure where Klepper got his info. But it was still a 33.333% increase in car count

2/9/20, 1:26 PM   #35
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Anyone else disappointed with car count? I completely understand there’s lot of reasons, travel expenses, vacation time and so on that needs to be considered but when you get 350 in Tulsa, you would think you could get a tenth of that at a real race, especially with no competition on this continent
I don't know about other parts of the Midwest, but USAC car counts seem to be so so whenever they leave Indiana. I go to Eastern Storm every year, & I wish there were enough entries to make heats more meaningful.... whats the point if everybody makes the feature, & most (all?) of them get their qualifying times back?
I know they usually have to qualify thru the heats to get their times back, but what if everybody makes the feature?

2/9/20, 10:49 PM   #36
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I thought the action was very good. That being said, I'd like to see the races moved to Southern Raceway Milton Fl just outside Pensacola. Bubba is a weird shaped track, an engine killer for midgets and not supported enough by fans or cars.

2/9/20, 11:43 PM   #37
opnwhlmnd

I was there both nights. I thought the crowd was decent for the chilly weather.
I will take the quality of cars there over car count any day. Feature friday night was worth the 1000 mile drive for me.

Stupid me went to the Outlaws at Volusia tonight. They had a lot of cars but we will just leave it at that.

2/10/20, 12:28 AM   #38
WingedFan2019

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
I was there both nights. I thought the crowd was decent for the chilly weather.
I will take the quality of cars there over car count any day. Feature friday night was worth the 1000 mile drive for me.

Stupid me went to the Outlaws at Volusia tonight. They had a lot of cars but we will just leave it at that.
I was at Ocala Friday and Saturday went to Volusia tonight, totally regret going to Ocala those 2 nights, heard from fans at Volusia past 2 nights were awesome. I wasted $25 a night to see 3 heats and a feature, meanwhile at Volusia 35 sprints and 40 mods. Next year when I come down I’m 100% skipping non wing

3 members like this post: 2rock21, PIT CART, tirespinner
2/10/20, 2:34 AM   #39
opnwhlmnd

You had me at the 40 mods. To each is own. I will take 18 midgets over 35 wings every time.

2/10/20, 2:52 AM   #40
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I thought the racing was great, but four fresh motors grenaded in two nights is bad.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala