IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
WingedFan2019 (Offline)
  #1 6/10/19 12:40 PM
Big fan of Dave Darland have been for years. But rumors are surfacing that at the end of the 2019 season he’s hanging up the helmet. No idea if this is true or not so I thought I’d ask her
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #2 6/10/19 3:22 PM
We'll just have to see what happens, I know Dave still loves to race and still is capable of winning. But the rumor has been out there a couple years. Seemed serious last year and they went and bought a bigger T shirt trailer

Hurts not to have a solid deal in the sprints and then have their own sprint foul a motor.

We'll see what happens, whatever it is, I wish them the best. The whole family is Genuine.

Charles Nungester
13 Likes: Bilbee17, Bostonian, chrismattlin, davidm, EZ04, LUCKYONE, mc/rider, oppweld, PJ Wright, racegal, scottyCbus, superstock30, wallbanger II
EZ04 (Offline)
  #3 6/10/19 4:09 PM
It's kinda sad having to see him ride jumping and as already mentioned issues with his personal team. But I've seen Dave do this before over the years and still have success. He's a wheelman thats for sure. Whatever happens I wish him the best of luck and he'll forever be the peoples champ.
17 Likes: Big Mike 7, Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, interpreter66, luckybuc97, LUCKYONE, mc/rider, openwheelfan1, oppweld, PJ Wright, racegal, Rapid Rick, scottyCbus, superstock30, tirespinner, TNRustler, WinglessLovers
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #4 6/10/19 5:42 PM
Originally Posted by EZ04:
It's kinda sad having to see him ride jumping and as already mentioned issues with his personal team. But I've seen Dave do this before over the years and still have success. He's a wheelman thats for sure. Whatever happens I wish him the best of luck and he'll forever be the peoples champ.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't totally agree with that. I was just thinking the other day, after the MSCS race at LPS, that there's something cool about getting to see the great Dave Darland at a local track, driving the piss out of a family-owned car in the twilight of his career. By the time these races are over, ending up ahead of some drivers that are in more expensive equipment than him. Kind of like when he started. Even after all these years, you could still put the guy in about any car and he will make it competitive.

And it's not like there's anything else left for him to achieve. He's already in the Hall of Fame. He's won national championships in all 3 USAC divisions. And he's won every major race. Most multiple times.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
20 Likes: bighd0522, bigq11, Bostonian, Chief Wahoo, chrismattlin, Clydesdale, davidm, dirt330, dwhitney1169, Ken Bonnema, LUCKYONE, oppweld, PIT CART, racegal, rachasin, RadRacer, Rapid Rick, rmcar, ronmil, TNRustler
revjimk (Online)
  #5 6/10/19 5:52 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
We'll just have to see what happens, I know Dave still loves to race and still is capable of winning. But the rumor has been out there a couple years. Seemed serious last year and they went and bought a bigger T shirt trailer

Hurts not to have a solid deal in the sprints and then have their own sprint foul a motor.

We'll see what happens, whatever it is, I wish them the best. The whole family is Genuine.
& their T-shirts have the best graphics. I already have too many, but hard to resist...
5 Likes: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, davidm, racegal, tirespinner
chrismattlin (Offline)
  #6 6/10/19 6:49 PM
Dave's not gonna retire. I could see him scaling back (eventually), but when you can beat the best the sport has to offer... well, what's the point? Dave's problem is the same as the sport as a whole, there's not many car owners any more. Heck, how many car owners are there in USAC anymore which aren't innately connected to the guy wheeling it? We've lost a bunch in recent years and no one is replacing them.

Worst case scenario, DD might have to go find a full time job which would force him to "retire" as a full time USAC driver, but as long as he's as good as he is, he'll still be banging cushions on Indiana dirt.
5 Likes: captrat, Eatin Dirt, oppweld, racegal, tirespinner
Non wing lover (Offline)
  #7 6/11/19 8:51 AM
Before he retires I want see him win the chili bowl just once idk has ever got a win at haustadt? If he hasn't I want get these two before he hangs it up
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #8 6/11/19 8:59 AM
Originally Posted by Non wing lover:
Before he retires I want see him win the chili bowl just once idk has ever got a win at haustadt? If he hasn't I want get these two before he hangs it up

Won last years Sprint Week at Haubstadt.

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: Adolph, BrentTFunk, racegal
Non wing lover (Offline)
  #9 6/11/19 12:27 PM
Ok Charles now he needs a golden driller at chili bowl on his resume
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, racegal, racenut69
brsteg (Offline)
  #10 6/11/19 1:49 PM
Originally Posted by Non wing lover:
Ok Charles now he needs a golden driller at chili bowl on his resume
Maybe IOW should crowd fund and sponsor him into a KKM midget...
4 Likes: bigq11, PIT CART, racenut69, Speedwrench