IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #1 4/26/19 6:56 AM
IndyCar has finally come forth with cockpit protection for their drivers. It is a device called the Advanced Frontal Protection (AFP). For the articles I read, this is just the first step in this direction of driver protection. The goal, obviously, is to prevent debris intrusion/head contact.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/04...eflector-debut

Advanced Frontal Protection units debut on cars at Indy test
By Mark Robinson | Published: Apr 24, 2019

INDIANAPOLIS – The NTT IndyCar Series open test Wednesday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway provided the perfect place for sanctioning body INDYCAR to unveil its latest driver safety development, the Advanced Frontal Protection debris deflector.

The small titanium piece, bolted on the Dallara chassis centerline of all cars just in front of the cockpit, is designed to push flying debris away from the driver and becomes mandatory on all entries beginning with practice for the 103rd Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge and continuing through the rest of the season.

The AFP weighs only 2.8 pounds but has passed the same load testing as the Indy car roll hoop that sits behind and above the driver. Explaining the benefits of the AFP on Wednesday morning, INDYCAR President Jay Frye called it the first of several phases that are planned to improve cockpit safety.

“If a piece (of debris) comes toward the front of the nose, toward the driver,” Frye said, “this will deflect the debris away from the driver.”

Frye added that five-time NTT IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon virtually tested an AFP on a racing simulator and had no issues with its implementation. Along with other items on team checklists, the open test served as the chance for drivers to become accustomed visually to the AFP.

“It’s something now that’s in front of them that wasn’t there before,” Frye said. “We’re excited to hear what they say. … It’s something they’ll have to get used to, but that’s part of what today is about.

“They know why we’re doing it. We’re doing it to help them.”

INDYCAR continues work behind the scenes on development of a windscreen. Dixon and Josef Newgarden tested a prototype last year in separate tests at ISM Raceway in Phoenix and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but series technical and safety officials said the windscreen requires further development before it could be implemented.

“There’s a cause and effect to everything, so we wanted to make sure we vet it out before we put anything on the car,” Frye said. “That’s kind of what happened last fall with the other piece we were working on at the end. There were some things that didn’t like at the end.

“It’s an evolving process; we work on safety every day. (The AFP) is just the next evolution of what we’re doing.”

The AFP has been on INDYCAR’s radar since 2012. Including the reinforcements built into the monocoque for support, the entire unit adds less than five pounds in weight. Frye and INDYCAR are sold on its benefits.

“We have a very thorough (development) process,” Frye said. “We wouldn’t put it on a car if we weren’t confident it would do what it’s designed to do.”

And, Frye added, there’s more to come in regard to cockpit safety … soon.

“This will be Phase 1 of our solution,” he said. “Sometime in May, we’ll announce what we’re doing next.

“This is Phase 1, it’ll do X. The other things we’re working on will be Y and Z in the process.”

A third image from another site:

I am glad IndyCar has FINALLY stepped up to the plate on this. I can't wait to see what is next in this line of driver safety. It cannot come too soon.

RIP Justin Wilson.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, nathans1012
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #2 4/26/19 8:22 AM
Good to see steps being taken to help keep the driver safer. Not to change the subject Mike, from safety to competition, but what do you know about the rumors of lock ins for the 500, and how do you feel about it?
mc/rider (Offline)
  #3 4/26/19 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
rumors of lock ins for the 500, and how do you feel about it?
JMO 1 provisional , 1 promoters choice

When in doubt Gas It
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #4 4/26/19 3:40 PM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
Good to see steps being taken to help keep the driver safer. Not to change the subject Mike, from safety to competition, but what do you know about the rumors of lock ins for the 500, and how do you feel about it?
Only that it has been put on the table by the owners.

When you look at how many cars are usually entered for the 500 these days, you may have.... what.... 3-4 possibly being bumped? Of those, why bump a high $$$ team like Hinchcliffe last year? Let the regulars in and bump the one-offs.

On the other hand, this will not get the entry list higher and higher for there is are greater odds the one-offs will be bumped. So, that side of the knife can also cut.

I'm on the fence. I hate seeing a big name miss out, for they and their teams pay heavy dues annually, but I want to see the sport grow, too.
2 Likes: fish, luckybuc97
THS (Offline)
  #5 4/26/19 5:50 PM
Pretty sure one the owners (Penske) that Is driving this "guaranteed locked in" deal, is the same one that wanted an "even playing field" when Tony Geroge tried to do the same thing in 1996. Penske and the Cart car owners took their cars to Michigan because they didn't like the IRL drivers getting a guaranteed locked in spot. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. I am a big Roger Penske fan but I see the irony in him wanting his drivers locked in, when he was totally against it after they missed the field in 1995. Sorry to hijack the original post lol **** Started new thread*****
2 Likes: chrismattlin, flagboy55
THS (Offline)
  #6 4/26/19 5:53 PM
Oh!! And don't worry about losing drivers and sponsor's. I saw 2 Arrow cars at the open test on Wednesday and pretty sure Pipa will be back this year..... Lets bump!!!! ***** Started new thread*****
2 Likes: chrismattlin, flagboy55