IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trey Osborne Caps 2018 Season with Championship
11/21/18, 9:49 PM   #1
Trey Osborne Caps 2018 Season with Championship
JessicaJ

Race Count This Year: 12+
Race Count Last Year: 7

Trey Osborne Caps 2018 Season with Championship
By Jessica Jenkins

When Trey Osborne embarked on 2018 he had the strength of continued improvement in the Mel Kenyon Midget Series to spur him on. With the series' Rookie of the Year under his belt in 2015 followed by fourth and third place in the standings the next two seasons, Osborne knew he was capable of accomplishing even more this year. The result was three wins and ten top five finishes in 18 starts to claim first place once the points were tallied at season's end.

Making his racing debut just nine years ago at the age of seven, the racer from Columbus, OH hasn't taken long to make his mark in the sport. Capturing this year's United States Speed Association midget championship by 310 points is a clear statement that this young driver is going places. By wheeling his orange #60 to victory lane at Anderson Speedway, Indianapolis Speedrome and Sportsdrome Speedway, Osborne now sits seventh on the series' all-time winners list with five total victories. The 10th K&M Tool and Die Mel Kenyon Midget season was held at a mix of pavement and dirt short tracks to prove their champion is adept on all types of surfaces. By leading a total of 162 laps, Osborne accomplished what had never been done before in the series by locking the title up with one race remaining on the schedule.

Alongside his full season with USSA, Osborne also ran part time in the Midwest Thunder division for speed2 midgets. A best finish of third at Lincoln Park Speedway after winning the heat race highlighted his USAC foray in Aaron Leffel Racing's #11T. The 15 year old also participated in the USAC's inaugural BC39 national midget race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Dirt Track, holding his own by gaining two spots and finishing fourth in his heat race. A shortened schedule on day two only gave him opportunity to finish tenth in the qualifier.

Thinking back on his season Osborne summarized, "I was really happy with the amount of races that I won and then obviously the championship. It just means a lot because of how equal the cars are, so I really felt like I won it. At the Speedrome I was pretty happy with how I did because I won the heat race and the feature. Thought that was pretty cool and I did it on old tires, which I hadn't been able to do before. I want to thank my Dad for driving me everywhere and my sponsors, DJ Safety Gear for making all my safety equipment, Chips' Customs & Collisions for keeping the car orange, Leigh-Osborne Realty and REO Motorsports."

Plans for 2019 are still up in the air, but you can be sure to find Osborne contending for wins wherever he goes. Follow him via Facebook at Twitter @TreyOsborne60 and visit his website at TreyOsborne.com to see what he accomplishes next.
Attached Images
2018-11 2539 477x400.jpg (175.6 KB, 17 views)

2 members like this post: Task Force, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trey Osborne Caps 2018 Season with Championship