IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #31 6/5/18 12:29 PM
i think it’s possible to be extremely disappointed for GC and be hopeful for Plymouth at the same time.

kinda like having two high school buddies share their news on the same day. first buddy says he’s getting married for the first time after all these years. second buddy tells you that his marriage of 20+ years ended and the divorce is almost final. You’re happy for the one but gutwrenched for the other.

I have plenty of thoughts on how everything was handled; some emotional, some rational. at this time, i honestly wish PS good luck on the endeavor.
4 Likes: flagboy55, PJ Wright, racer-x, wildman92
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #32 6/5/18 2:45 PM
Originally Posted by TCR57:
Why compete with Plymouth on Friday night? So GC didn't get a sprint week date. Ok. Turn the page. How about... They run their own show on one of the open nights (Monday / Tuesday) to take advantage of the fans and teams following the week. Win / win? From a business perspective I wouldn't want to see someone try to compete against a marquee event for the sake of spite. No one wins, and it likely wouldn't help for future relationships / opportunities. Call it "Monday Madness" or "Midweek Hangover" or something catchy that creates a positive spin on the opportunity. Hell... then get Montpelier in on the other open night. Would the teams or at least 20 of them give it a go or are those off nights critical for maintenance and prep?

And... let's consider another aspect from a business perspective. You run an "open" show vs. an ISW sprint week show you've got a better opportunity for profit margin (assuming you've got a decent revenue structure with fans, pit gate, support class, etc.) Take advantage of the situation.

Value all of the opinions and energy around the discussion. Just trying to consider a different approach / perspective...
I agree, turn the page. Do not get in a pissing match over one step backward. Big picture, Jerry has already made great progress using a "fun" approach to attending GC. Continue to make baby steps weekly in comfort, concessions, payout, and quality of racing to draw cars, stars, and loyal fans. Then USAC and others must take note. There already is an option for those Indiana nw sprinters on July 20 & 21 just 55 miles east of the Indiana state line in Lima and Waynesfield, OH respectively. Wherever you choose to attend, you will be greeted by large car counts, side by side, dirt slinging, balls to the walls, entertaining sprint car racing. See you at the track.
3 Likes: chrismattlin, dirt330, TCR57
quicktime3 (Offline)
  #33 6/5/18 3:52 PM
It seems like there’s a mindset here of never wanting to support bigger events. We need options for everyone who doesn’t want to support a bigger event. I see other regions building up their big winged sprint car events and not racing against them. No wonder we never see big events around here take off or get any better.
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, captrat
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #34 6/5/18 4:42 PM
Originally Posted by btg1963:
Just curious.... what caused Brownstown to lose their date in ISW? They host the largest purse of any dirt race in the entire state of Indiana...
There date went to Putnamville. Smackdown pays a much larger purse with $1000 to start.
2 Likes: jim goerge, PIT CART
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #35 6/5/18 5:48 PM

Charles Nungester
FEATHERDUSTER (Offline)
  #36 6/5/18 6:37 PM
It's about time the Northern part of the state gets a fair share of Sprint Week,other than Boswell from years ago there has been nothing up in these parts.
Speaking of sub par tracks Boswell was one of them during Sprint Week.
I really enjoy Kokomo and this is so great to have 2 Sprint Week races close to home.
Gas City has got to prove itself to me that it's here to stay before I will return.
Congratulation Plymouth Speeway!
4 Likes: EBookerFan, flagboy55, scottyCbus, speed bump
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #37 6/5/18 7:10 PM
Why compete with Plymouth on Friday night? So GC didn't get a sprint week date. Ok. Turn the page.
Originally Posted by Will Shunk:
I agree, turn the page. Do not get in a pissing match over one step backward.
I don’t see running their own show on the same night USAC is at Plymouth being a pissing match. Gas City is a race track. They run on Friday nights. USAC is running somewhere else, but why is that any reason to shut down? They should run their own show and put on a damn good one. I know it is blasphemy here to talk about late models, but that would seem to be a great night to bring them back to Gas City. Why would anyone at USAC have any gripe with them over racing that night? They had their opportunity to race at Gas City. They chose to go elsewhere, so what does it matter to them what Gas City does on July 20th? If they are going to hold a grudge over that, some of their brass lurking here would need to take some lessons on professionalism. That’s just what this sport doesn’t need, sanctioning bodies being petty and trying to harm race tracks. Before anyone says it, I am not implying that anyone at USAC is or has done that. #SupportGasCity Night.

The idea of running on one of the off nights for sprintweek with a nonsanctioned show is doomed to be an absolute failure. How many teams are going to put another night of racing on their equipment in the middle of sprintweek? Not many, no matter what the purse is. Even if they would, does USAC have any restrictions for their teams running a nonsanctioned show within a certain amount of time of their next race? How many of the teams that aren’t running sprintweek would be able to run a weeknight show? How many fans attending sprintweek will have the extra money to drive back up north to Gas City and pay to get into another show or the pits? How many local fans would come out to a weeknight show? I believe the answer to those questions explains why it does not make sense to do it.
2 Likes: fish, oppweld
AussieMitch (Offline)
  #38 6/5/18 7:15 PM
Why compete with Plymouth on Friday night? So GC didn't get a sprint week date. Ok. Turn the page. How about... They run their own show on one of the open nights (Monday / Tuesday) to take advantage of the fans and teams following the week. Win / win? From a business perspective I wouldn't want to see someone try to compete against a marquee event for the sake of spite. No one wins, and it likely wouldn't help for future relationships / opportunities. Call it "Monday Madness" or "Midweek Hangover" or something catchy that creates a positive spin on the opportunity. Hell... then get Montpelier in on the other open night. Would the teams or at least 20 of them give it a go or are those off nights critical for maintenance and prep?

And... let's consider another aspect from a business perspective. You run an "open" show vs. an ISW sprint week show you've got a better opportunity for profit margin (assuming you've got a decent revenue structure with fans, pit gate, support class, etc.) Take advantage of the situation.

Value all of the opinions and energy around the discussion. Just trying to consider a different approach / perspective...
It would be fantastic if Gas City put a show on the Monday or Tuesday night and surely would get a big crowd. I’m coming over for my first full sprint week and another race night mid week would be great. USAC leaving the decsion so late sucked pretty bad, i’m already locked into accommodation in Indy so will be a 2hr drive to Plymouth. Looks like a great facility though so will be well worth it i’m sure. Off topic but is any other track within a couple of hours of Indy running the Monday or Tuesday night, any division?
captrat (Offline)
  #39 6/5/18 7:18 PM
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan:
It is a bummer for Gas City to lose that race, but if I was in their shoes I sure as hell wouldn’t take that night off from racing. The American Ethanol Late Model Series is off that night. They brought 33 cars to Montpelier and had a great crowd just a month ago. The World of Outlaws Late Model Series is also off that night. If they want to run sprints, the BOSS series is off that night. Maybe give them a call. Give the program that night some kind of name like #SupportGasCity Night. It might create some additional tension with USAC to run a sprint show against the opening night of sprint week.
Part of the problem, not part of the answer. We already too many tracks competing against one another dividing the spectator and fan base into provincial slivers.
3 Likes: flagboy55, Jbaldwin, Sandy Lowe
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #40 6/6/18 1:37 AM
I think you could run late model's at every track in the world against ISW, and it wouldn't bother 99 percent of the folks on IOW
3 Likes: jim goerge, oppweld, The Old Coyote