IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
jjones752 (Offline)
  #21 6/5/18 8:44 AM
Wasn't there a plan to upgrade the stands at G.C. by the previous ownership that was shot down by the city? Don't understand the logic, but logic and ******** rarely coexist. Hopefully that discussion can be revisited, seems like Mr. Gappens is enthusiastic about revitalizing the place; maybe his enthusiasm will rub off on the powers-that-be...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
5 Likes: jim goerge, Nate, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART
nodramazone20 (Offline)
  #22 6/5/18 9:37 AM
I have no issue with Plymouth getting a date. Of course, USAC handled this entire thing poorly but whats new... standard procedure for those folks. What gets me is now many feel Gas City was screwed and have come to their defense. All of the sudden, GC is the greatest race track in the world....Gone are the complaints about the stands, poor concessions and terrible camping if they get any rain at all. And all of the sudden the location is PERFECT. 1 year ago, these were all excuses I heard for NOT supporting Gas City on the Monday rain out. I say get out and support Plymouth on July 20 and support GC whenever you can the rest of the year.
5 Likes: flagboy55, Jim Gardner, racer-x, The Old Coyote, wildman92
btg1963 (Offline)
  #23 6/5/18 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by david mitchell:
Flagboy is correct here.ISW and the logistics needed to host it have outgrown Gas City.I love Gas City,but do not enjoy being jammed in to a grandstand that is not only too small,but very uncomfortable.Destroy the grandstand and build a larger and newer one.Perhaps like Kokomo has done.Maybe two of these.I realize the expense of this,but I don’t think there is an alternative.Even temporary bleachers would be better than current grandstand.North Vernon,Brownstown,Kamp,Paragon,etc have lost their date because of various reasons,Gas City is sadly another victim of the success of ISW.
Just curious.... what caused Brownstown to lose their date in ISW? They host the largest purse of any dirt race in the entire state of Indiana...
RedRacer07 (Offline)
  #24 6/5/18 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by btg1963:
Just curious.... what caused Brownstown to lose their date in ISW? They host the largest purse of any dirt race in the entire state of Indiana...
I think a water truck called to the backstretch as a heat race took the green, last time ISW was there.
3 Likes: billw, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #25 6/5/18 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by btg1963:
They threw the green on a heat race and a water truck came barreling out in front of the field in turn two. Don't know for a fact that that was the reason, but it wasn't cool and downright scary.

You Tube Video

Charles Nungester
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #26 6/5/18 11:27 AM
It is a bummer for Gas City to lose that race, but if I was in their shoes I sure as hell wouldn’t take that night off from racing. The American Ethanol Late Model Series is off that night. They brought 33 cars to Montpelier and had a great crowd just a month ago. The World of Outlaws Late Model Series is also off that night. If they want to run sprints, the BOSS series is off that night. Maybe give them a call. Give the program that night some kind of name like #SupportGasCity Night. It might create some additional tension with USAC to run a sprint show against the opening night of sprint week.
2 Likes: PIT CART, racefan20
TCR57 (Offline)
  #27 6/5/18 11:43 AM
Why compete with Plymouth on Friday night? So GC didn't get a sprint week date. Ok. Turn the page. How about... They run their own show on one of the open nights (Monday / Tuesday) to take advantage of the fans and teams following the week. Win / win? From a business perspective I wouldn't want to see someone try to compete against a marquee event for the sake of spite. No one wins, and it likely wouldn't help for future relationships / opportunities. Call it "Monday Madness" or "Midweek Hangover" or something catchy that creates a positive spin on the opportunity. Hell... then get Montpelier in on the other open night. Would the teams or at least 20 of them give it a go or are those off nights critical for maintenance and prep?

And... let's consider another aspect from a business perspective. You run an "open" show vs. an ISW sprint week show you've got a better opportunity for profit margin (assuming you've got a decent revenue structure with fans, pit gate, support class, etc.) Take advantage of the situation.

Value all of the opinions and energy around the discussion. Just trying to consider a different approach / perspective...
4 Likes: AussieMitch, chrismattlin, speed bump, tmac39
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #28 6/5/18 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by TCR57:
Why compete with Plymouth on Friday night? So GC didn't get a sprint week date. Ok. Turn the page. How about... They run their own show on one of the open nights (Monday / Tuesday) to take advantage of the fans and teams following the week. Win / win? From a business perspective I wouldn't want to see someone try to compete against a marquee event for the sake of spite. No one wins, and it likely wouldn't help for future relationships / opportunities. Call it "Monday Madness" or "Midweek Hangover" or something catchy that creates a positive spin on the opportunity. Hell... then get Montpelier in on the other open night. Would the teams or at least 20 of them give it a go or are those off nights critical for maintenance and prep?

And... let's consider another aspect from a business perspective. You run an "open" show vs. an ISW sprint week show you've got a better opportunity for profit margin (assuming you've got a decent revenue structure with fans, pit gate, support class, etc.) Take advantage of the situation.

Value all of the opinions and energy around the discussion. Just trying to consider a different approach / perspective...
Twin Cities tried that several years ago... once. There’s probably a reason why they didn’t do it twice.
4 Likes: chrismattlin, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, racefan20
nodramazone20 (Offline)
  #29 6/5/18 11:55 AM
Was there talk about running the IMW rain outs on the open dates during Sprint Week??......GC Monday, Bloomington tuesday??
spankytoo (Offline)
  #30 6/5/18 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by TCR57:
Why compete with Plymouth on Friday night?
What about all the teams that don't want to run sprint week? There's 130 sprint car teams out there when BOSS, Waynesfield, LPS, Burg, Paragon, Bloomington, Gas City, and USAC are all running. Sprint week pulls 35-40. I bet Gas city could still pull a good crowd of cars.

Also, what's USAC's average car count this year? (Spoiler, it's 23.3 cars). They've had B-mains twice this year with 28 cars. Lots of cars supporting local tracks this year.

Also side note after some research, at this time last year USAC's average car count was 28.6. Four races had over 30 cars.

Back on topic.

Looking at Gas City's top 20 in points, I could see 13 of them going to GC and not the USAC show.

http://www.gascityi69speedway.com/po...-wing-sprints/

If you look in your mirror and see a line of cars behind you, be kind and pull over.