IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kickapoo/Daugherty Midgets
5/10/18, 7:40 PM   #11
Avon Open Wheel fan

Just one day away from the 1st race. This is open to all midgets D2 or National. The purse is also guaranteed and solid from top to bottom with additional purse money if we reach 20 cars. Even have tow money for anyone who doesnt start the feature. No entry fees or membership and open tire rules so hope to see a great turnout for both races this weekend.

www.illinimidgets.com

5/11/18, 9:38 AM   #12
Re: Kickapoo/Daugherty Midgets
Avon Open Wheel fan

It is race day at Daugherty Speedway and weather is looking great for tonight and tomorrow night at Kickapoo Speedway.

www.illinimidgets.com

5/12/18, 7:46 AM   #13
Crankin

Ok, so why in the world would you schedule the race in Danville tonight?
Talk about a bad first impression to a promoter willing to try Midgets (assuming avon open wheel fan has a hand in this).

First off, I don’t know of a lot of cars to draw from in the east central Illinois/west central Indiana area? With that said, you might look for an open date to attract some cars from elsewhere.

But. You pick a night to run against the worst possible track to schedule against, Montpelier, which takes up the usual national cars AND USAC MTM.
Even if your schedule came out first, that’s a bad move and should have been changed.
Then add in the fact that POWRi is just 90 miles away at Macon. MMSA is at North Vernon. BADGER is at Sycamore. USAC/IMRA at Spoon River, and the last remaining Midgets on the planet will be putting on a super exciting 6 car feature at South Bend (also courtesy of avon open wheel fan).
Last edited by Crankin; 5/12/18 at 8:57 AM.

1 member likes this post: Wallsracing
5/12/18, 10:01 AM   #14
leftrear

A little harsh don't you think...

I don't understand why there are never any results to be found. All links I have searched are dead ends...how about some results from last night ?

5/12/18, 10:13 AM   #15
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

7 midgets
Last edited by Wallsracing; 5/12/18 at 11:00 AM.

5/12/18, 10:33 AM   #16
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

I hate to pile on to this thread, but I see Crankin's point. Looks like Kickapoo is bound and determined to race on Saturday nights. This Saturday just has so many races running against it. They probably would have had better luck trying to establish a Sunday night schedule, when only one track races, Kokomo.

I don't wish any track bad luck, but here were the car count at Kickapoo from Sat, April 28th. I saw this on the 4M message board:

From looking at the points on the track website for the 1st week of racing there
Kickapoo car count:

7 - UMP Modifieds
7 - UMP Pro Late Models
4 - Pro Stock Cars
2 - 6 Cyl. Scrappers
2 - Mini Wedge
22 - Totals cars among 5 classes

Sad for the fans, and for that matter, the racers. How can a track survive when you have no cars entered to race. I wish them well.

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
5/12/18, 2:33 PM   #17
racinc1

There were 7 midgets last night. But the quality of the racing was surprisingly good. In the heat race Gage Walker and a black 33 last name of Jones ran the side by side the whole heat trading sliders every corner. The 33 prevailed in the end. In the feature Walker claimed the win with the black 33 on full bonzai trying to get to him. Got up to his bumper a few times then lost ground trying different lines. The Irwin racing 7k ran third.
I expect a better car count tonight with Montpelier cancelling early today.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
5/12/18, 2:40 PM   #18
racinc1

I think as long as the promoter is patient this battle at the border midget series will take off. If memory serves Montpelier's car counts weren't that great when they started there midget series.

5/12/18, 5:59 PM   #19
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

I believe they had to redo their dates bc most conflicted with montpelier. It took a while for peliers to take off, but the cars you got over there would have been at montpelier tonight. I hope it takes off for them.

Tk

5/13/18, 12:11 PM   #20
Avon Open Wheel fan

We picked up a few cars at Kickapoo had 11 it was some great racing again. The purse is guaranteed so where else can a D2 car for this kind of payout. In fact we had a D2 car finish 3rd. Payout $350 dollars for third had two Lightning sprints join us they finished towards the back due to some mechanical issues but they each collected around $140 dollars each that's still a very decent payday. We raced the midgets first they was paid cash just minutes after the feature was over. Not too many tracks would risk this so hopefully we continue to pick up a few cars each at each race. The crowd was also way bigger than what we have had this season so overall things went well. Like to thank all the teams, drivers and fans who supported us at Daugherty and Kickapoo this past weekend

www.illinimidgets.com

4 members like this post: Cobra 14, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, Steve Wendel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kickapoo/Daugherty Midgets