IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Christopher Bell
10/22/17, 10:01 PM   #11
Re: Christopher Bell
smith19

jones said "that was a dirt track move". i'm thinking SO WHAT!!!

10/23/17, 8:18 AM   #12
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

Jones is picking up some of his KBM leaders crying when things don't go his way.. When he ran up here in Michigan he did the same thing.. It is great to see C Bell continue to climb the ladder.. Remember working with he and Rick back when people would say Christopher WHO? Talk with Rick often and he too is very proud of the young man.. Keep it up and we can have a Bell/Larson dirt track special on a mile and a half.. That will wake up the NASCAR world.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jdull99, racenut69
10/23/17, 7:53 PM   #13
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Absolutely! Was great that Bell got his first win. Funny as heck to hear Jones whine about it. He said Christopher didn't clear him while he his gun squarely on the rear bumper.

I’m thinking Jones is going to be a professional whiner the rest of his racing career. He will inevitably end up whining about 42 as well if he hasn’t already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 member likes this post: jdull99
10/24/17, 4:38 PM   #14
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

IMO...it is the success of wheel men on the dirt ovals and later on the national scene like Jeff Gordon, Stevie Reeves, JJ, Kasey, Jason Leffler, Kenny Irwin, Mike Bliss, Smoke, BC, Billy Boat, Vogler, to name but a few is what laid the groundwork for wheel men like Larson, Bell, Briscoe et al to have their own chances on the national scene as well. Not a new trend.

10/25/17, 12:02 AM   #15
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I'm sure I'll take some fire for this, but I think the non-wing stuff better prepares a driver than a wing car. Sure a wing car has higher terminal speed, but nothing else in the world drives like a winged car, except maybe an F1 car. With a non-wing(Sprint, Midget) you get high HP and low traction which forces you to better feel the car under you without aide of down-force. Throttle control and seat of the pants feel pay big dividends in all professional ranks. Having more HP than you can ever fully use along with mind numbing acceleration and I'm sure an asphalt CUP/XFINITY car feels a bit like its running in slow motion. JMO
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 10/25/17 at 1:05 PM.

10/25/17, 11:41 AM   #16
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I'm sure I'll take some fire for this, but I think the non-wing stuff better prepares a driver than a wing car. Sure a wing car has higher terminal speed, but nothing else in the world drives like a winged car. With a non-wing(Sprint, Midget) you get high HP and low traction which forces you to better feel the car under you without aide of downforce. Throttle control and seat of the pants feel pay big dividends in all professional ranks. JMO
No fire from me, and I'm normally one who doesn't like it when someone is promoting non wing over wing just because I often don't see a point to it. However, here you made a claim and substantiated it in a civil manner, so right on for that.

One thing I wanted to know, and this isn't to counter your claim, just curiosity, but does Bell have much of a background in non wing sprints? He has obviously raced a lot of midget races, but I wasn't sure how often he's been in a non wing sprint? I know we won't see it at all now that he's moving up through the NASCAR ranks as the wingless sprints appear to be off limits once you get to that level.

I know Larson has ran a decent amount of wingless sprint races. I wasn't paying too much attention to sprint cars at the time, but I've seen videos of him running around Indiana around the 2010, 2011 time. And he's obviously got one of, in my opinion, the greatest accomplishments of open wheel dirt racing in sweeping the four crown. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he'd raced there before that night? That's what I've always heard and haven't seen any results from the Big E prior to that night with his name in it.

Anyway, great to see the dirt guys reaching these heights, especially after Smoke left. It's almost as if he passed the torch to Larson with Yung Money's breakout season being the first one without Tony. Bell will be up there with him soon enough, and Chase Briscoe impressed in his first truck season.

1 member likes this post: Kydehart
10/25/17, 11:50 AM   #17
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I'm pretty sure Kyle ran a lot more non-wing than wing sprints coming up, although he started in Winged Outlaw Karts. And you're right, he won 3 out of 4 in the 4-Crown his first ever trip to Eldora; I don't think he even realized Hewitt had swept the 4-Crown until after he was done, if I recall he was being interviewed and said something like "Shoot, I wish I had tried to get a Modified ride"...
On the other hand I think C Bell has more seat time in wing Sprints than non, but has a ton of experience in the Midgets, of course. He's only done one or two Silver Crown shows too, which is where they say these guys get the most direct experience that transfers to fender racing, so a lot of his success seems to be just sheer talent.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, GYATK94, Kydehart
10/25/17, 12:09 PM   #18
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard 05 View Post
Jones is picking up some of his KBM leaders crying when things don't go his way.. When he ran up here in Michigan he did the same thing.. It is great to see C Bell continue to climb the ladder.. Remember working with he and Rick back when people would say Christopher WHO? Talk with Rick often and he too is very proud of the young man.. Keep it up and we can have a Bell/Larson dirt track special on a mile and a half.. That will wake up the NASCAR world.
Ferkel?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

10/25/17, 12:15 PM   #19
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I'm pretty sure Kyle ran a lot more non-wing than wing sprints coming up, although he started in Winged Outlaw Karts. And you're right, he won 3 out of 4 in the 4-Crown his first ever trip to Eldora; I don't think he even realized Hewitt had swept the 4-Crown until after he was done, if I recall he was being interviewed and said something like "Shoot, I wish I had tried to get a Modified ride"...
On the other hand I think C Bell has more seat time in wing Sprints than non, but has a ton of experience in the Midgets, of course. He's only done one or two Silver Crown shows too, which is where they say these guys get the most direct experience that transfers to fender racing, so a lot of his success seems to be just sheer talent.
C Bell has talent in spades, no doubt. I can see where Silver crown would provide the best training for full fender racing. SC gives you the NO down force seat of pants feel with a longer wheelbase and slower reacting car, perfect.

1 member likes this post: Kydehart
10/25/17, 12:28 PM   #20
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
He's only done one or two Silver Crown shows too, which is where they say these guys get the most direct experience that transfers to fender racing.
One of Christopher Bell's few Silver Crown starts was driving the #99 RPM/Gormly car at Eldora in the 2014 Four Crown Nationals at Eldora. That was the team car to the eventual winning car, which was the #98 driven by JCJ. Bell followed Jack Hewitt for the first 15 laps of the SC finale' until Jack dropped out with a bad vibration in the driveline. Something failed on the #99 car about 10 laps later and that was that. He ended up being shown as 14th, I think.
Last edited by ISF; 10/25/17 at 1:43 PM.

2 members like this post: Kansasdirtfan, Kydehart
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Christopher Bell