IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Schroeder steering box blow-up
7/17/17, 2:46 PM   #21
Re: Schroeder steering box blow-up
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Not to hijack the thread (I know, I just did), but I wonder how much new-old Schroeder Steering stock is out there at Hench, Hyper or other dealers? Hench had just developed an add-on electric power steering unit for Schroeder steering that looked really promising to me; I wonder if Hench/EMI/Speedway or someone else has inquired to PAC about acquiring the steering gear line (casting patterns, drawings, etc.) from them. Or for that matter, if that product line was even part of the PAC buyout...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 7/17/17 at 2:48 PM.

1 member likes this post: Jalopiejoe
7/17/17, 5:11 PM   #22
TQ29m

Well, if Gary has quit, and he didn't buy out Norden, I guess that would mean that the parts left, just went up a bunch, I reckon if I would build a new car, I'd have to look for a r&p, which would make it steer easier anyway, unless just for mastalgia reasons, I'd be happy. That's what I'd do. Bob

2 members like this post: AsPhEit, Jalopiejoe
7/17/17, 7:53 PM   #23
badcoupe

We just tried to buy a new one earlier this year and there's no such thing. The machine that cuts the gears is inop and Gary said he was trying to get speedway motors to buy the rights etc.

2 members like this post: Jalopiejoe, jjones752
7/17/17, 8:26 PM   #24
TQ29m

Norden wanted him to buy them out years ago, and he told me it was a family deal, and what they had and what they wanted for it was light years apart. Bob

7/17/17, 9:02 PM   #25
Jalopiejoe

I just talked to Gary last week!
I asked him for a link to his parts or diagrams and was no help at all!
His new number is very similar to his old number and you will get a woman's voice on voice mail. I left my info and Gary did call me back a couple days later! His new number...
Gary Schroeder 1-818-565-3311
Joe

7/17/17, 9:19 PM   #26
TQ29m

Thanks, Joe. Unless you have a great need for that type of steering, I'd be looking at a rack and pinion, you could get rid of the reduction gear, and have a better street handling car, jmho. Bob

7/17/17, 9:51 PM   #27
Jalopiejoe

Bob, The car was built 10 years ago with the Schroeder steering and only has now 650 miles on it so it's going to stay! But, if I were building this car now I would go with a rack and pinion setup!
I would like to post a photo of the car but I can't get anything to upload!
Thanks!
Joe
Last edited by Jalopiejoe; 7/17/17 at 11:56 PM.

7/18/17, 5:40 PM   #28
Re: Schroeder steering box blow-up
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
We just tried to buy a new one earlier this year and there's no such thing. The machine that cuts the gears is inop and Gary said he was trying to get speedway motors to buy the rights etc.
So, is the one on page 179 of the Speedway Motors Open Wheel catalog #603 not available? I just assumed Speedway had bought the rights to manufacture.

Tim Simmons

7/18/17, 6:44 PM   #29
badcoupe

Back in march we called around every place we called said they were out didn't know when they'd have one. We were wanting to replace a old Norden that's worn out. Called Schroeder directly and he said the machine was broken and he wasn't planning on fixing, was trying to get speedway to buy it.

7/18/17, 7:36 PM   #30
Jalopiejoe

I talked to Sales at Speedway Motors recently and was told they no longer have them available!
So I'd say they didn't purchase Schroeder. (Be nice if they would!)
Like I said in my previous post, I did talk to Gary recently and their voice mail answers "Schroeder Racing Products" and Gary did return my call a couple days later!
Joe
Last edited by Jalopiejoe; 7/18/17 at 7:38 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Schroeder steering box blow-up