Mother Nature must hate THAT!

3 members like this post: dctracy79, Simon_says17, tirespinner
7/12/17, 8:07 PM   #42
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydehart View Post
Good to meet you two! Nice to put faces to the names. Too bad we got rained out but I'm sure I'll see you guys around
Good to meet you as well! I'm still struggling to fathom such a high level of misfortune with the weather. Left the house around 1 and saw no more than a 5% chance of rain at anytime during the evening. Get there around 3 and still very little chance. Yet, here I am eating dinner still in Terre Haute watching it continue to rain after beginning over an hour ago. Hopefully I can make it back in September or October.

Also, hope Chapple is okay, caught the end of that flip and it was nasty.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart, tirespinner
7/12/17, 8:39 PM   #43
Kydehart

Now do I change my race count to 7 and a tenth or something like that? Damn rain

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Simon_says17
7/12/17, 11:24 PM   #44
Re: Terre Haute forecast
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Just got home, May dry out by saturday.
Come to Terre Haute they said, Zero percent chance of rain they said, We'll see some racin' they said.

SKALOOSH! Momma Nature said.

Hope Isaac Chappel is ok.

Hope everyone at the fairground was ok. I hung out on the east side of the rest rooms. watched a hundred limbs come out of the trees and one tree break off up top over the fairground office. But it stayed up there just layed over.

Next time tell me it's 100% chance of rain, I'll come so I can see some racin

I thought it might just graze us as the clearing off to the west was winning early in the storm. Then it just kinda swallowed everything. Had some winds had to have hit 70plus mph. Anyway, I left my cooler and fold up seat in the bleachers. Went back to find my seet still clipped. My cooler lid was behind my seat. My cooler was minus goods, two sections down. And the handle to the cooler was under the bleachers six rows back.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/12/17 at 11:32 PM.

3 members like this post: fish, flagboy55, Kydehart
7/12/17, 11:47 PM   #45
Jerry Shaw

According to Duke Energy's website there are still 11,900 customers without power. Most of this has to be because of trees and tree limbs falling into power lines. There are storm damaged trees all over town. I know I saw my share of tree limbs flying through the air, before I left the fairgrounds. Even though so many streets in town were flooded, the high velocity winds were the worst part of this storm.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

6 members like this post: Al Pierce, Charles Nungester, flagboy55, Kydehart, ronmil, rpmracin
7/13/17, 12:07 AM   #46
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well if anyone else heard the loud bangs. It was limbs hitting lines in the fairground and the transformers blowing out. The restroom lights and many other lights in the grounds were out. I think the rides and stuff operate on generators. It was pretty whack. It started just looking like a storm to the north of the highway that was blowing to the east. Then the mothership wall cloud appeared and started heading our was during first hot laps. Second hotlaps got underway. with Chapple getting the wall in turns 3/4 almost dead center. When they finally got the ambulance too him and the annoucer said he was gingerly walking to the ambulance. Everyone started clearing the stands. I held out a couple more minutes but Im not going to be struck by lightning so I bailled as did the rest up there. Unless you got up under the main stands or in the restroom. you didn't stay dry unless you somehow had made it to your car.

Like I said, Just hope everyone is ok. Relief on the way fri, sat, sun

4 members like this post: fish, flagboy55, Kydehart, Sprints fan 11
7/13/17, 12:14 AM   #47
Lincoln Chapple

Isaac will be fine. He is a tough kid.
Although he should have never been allowed to walk to the ambulance once it did finally arrive.

Staying overnight for observation and more testing in the morning.

He is resting now with pain meds. and oxygen, but will recover quickly.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Brian Cripe, AJ Brookmeyer and Lee Gettys all stepped up to the plate to look after Isaac's best interests again tonight.

Joe Devin's craftsmanship and outright care and concern for the racers showed tonight in more ways than one. Hopefully he was heard.

A bunch of people running this place were lucky I was 4 hours away, or there may have been the need for more emergency responders. Not sure how far they would have needed to come from, but maybe they would have arrived quicker than they arrived at the crash, and more prepared. Negative maybe, but trying to make a point before it is life or death.

Thank you to all the competitors that pitched in to assist the team with load up, and good luck the remainder of the week. You guys are the bravest badasses I know.
Last edited by Lincoln Chapple; 7/13/17 at 12:21 AM.

7/13/17, 2:58 AM   #48
Topless77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post
Room topic was weather for those of us traveling in. Try not to turn it into a dating site.
Didn't know getting together at a track was code for a dating site. I'll remember that in the future. Thanks

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart
7/13/17, 2:00 PM   #49
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Well, that is twice that major storms have hit THAT when a zero percent of precipitation was predicted. I did not witness Isaac Chapple's crash and I don't believe anyone else sitting near me did either. Perhaps we were focused on the incoming weather. Wishing him a speedy recovery. I believe this was a much worse storm than the previous one I experienced when there was no chance of rain forecast. As Jerry Shaw said, the wind was much worse. I was on the top row of Section F and rain started to come in the back from the roof, but just moving down one row took care of that issue.
It is unbelievable what bad luck Bob Sargent is having with the weather this year. I certainly hope he can get good crowds for the remaining dates. My friend Jim Hall joined me on the top row and we both opined that we had gotten our money's worth with just the hot laps, even if nothing else occurred. It is really fun watching the drivers throw the cars into turn one.
Also I want to express my appreciation to Jim for the assistance he provided me leaving the grandstand and getting to my car. With my recent knee issues, the wet and slippery conditions were an additional obstacle.
It was very helpful that the track personnel opened the gates and allowed traffic to exit from the front gate. I started my car and drove right out with no delay. I have never had much luck getting out the back gate, and it appeared that the traffic going out that way was at a standstill.
Once on the road the torrential rain lasted until somewhere around Sullivan before I drove out of it. It was smooth sailing from there on until I arrived in a much hotter and drier Evansville.
Hope every one in the Terre Haute area gets their powered restored soon. I haven't heard of any storm related injuries, and I pray that there were none.
Hope to see everyone at THAT in Sept. and Oct.!

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dirt330, FishBurger, flagboy55, Kydehart
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute forecast