IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
revjimk (Offline)
  #21 4/18/17 12:12 PM
I like the idea of Indy cars on dirt, but why would a car owner risk their zillion dollar ride on a dirt track, without a huge purse?
DAD (Offline)
  #22 4/18/17 7:26 PM
2 Likes: mc/rider, tirespinner
DAD (Offline)
  #23 4/18/17 7:42 PM
STILL DON'T KNOW HOW i DID IT>>>>>>>>>>>>>
2 Likes: mc/rider, tirespinner
ChanceDHolley (Offline)
  #24 4/18/17 8:00 PM
Originally Posted by :

Furthermore, stock cars are tube frame cars and they are running high speeds on big tracks.

As are Funny Cars and Fuel Dragsters, Drivers have survived 300 MPH incidents in those.
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #25 4/19/17 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Just my opinion but hell no unless you like to see people dying. A Chrome Moly Tubed car has no buisness on anything more than a 1.5 mile course and speeds under 150. Sorry, there is a reason the tech went to honeycomb and cars designed to shred and scrub off speed and impact force. A stiff tube does nothing but bend or break.

That being said, I used to be against Crown Cars at Burg but watching Moffatt hotlap and only being a tick off andretti in the sprinter. I would like to see it once.
Fair enough and your technical answer is a good point. No, I don't like to see people dying, but I do prefer a roadster/sprint style to a mid-engine. Thanks for your input. How did you arrive at your specs? I mean cup cars and the like are tubular construction and run over 150MPH, a lot... Food for thought.
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #26 4/19/17 12:17 AM
Had the same idea while at the Freedom 100 two years ago. Silver Crown 100 on Saturday would be perfect. It could pay big money so drivers would be standing in line for the opportunity to run there. Today's cars with full containment seats and Hans are safe enough. They can set them up to handle the track. It would be the most prestigious race of the year for USAC and its driver's. Make it happen.
2 Likes: Aces&Eights, koolaid89
cmakin (Offline)
  #27 4/19/17 5:14 AM
I can say that there was a rumor, or should I say MORE than a rumor about the Silver Crown at the Speedway a couple of years ago. It did not materialize, however and I never asked about it. . . .

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #28 4/19/17 7:00 AM
Just for giggles and grins. It would be interesting to get Jack Hewitt's input on this.

He has run IMS and was one of the drivers who ran a champ dirt car at Pocono years ago.
2 Likes: davidm, tirespinner
Wizard 05 (Offline)
  #29 4/19/17 8:08 AM
I'll call him today,get his input and then try and post his answer..Hopefully I wont have to edit much.
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #30 4/19/17 9:21 AM
Originally Posted by Wizard 05:
I'll call him today,get his input and then try and post his answer..Hopefully I wont have to edit much.
I loved his book, a great read for sure. "Hewitt's Law"
2 Likes: chrismattlin, Wizard 05