IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #1 3/17/17 5:01 PM
I was reading over on 4m.net that "The Belleville Highbanks" track is having trouble getting series's to schedule events because several drivers don't want to go there. I've never been, but I'm familiar with that tracks reputation as being uh, "unforgiving". I'm also aware that BC had his fatal crash there last year. What makes Belleville so daunting and is it something that can be fixed? Not looking to step on toes, just to understand is all.
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #2 3/17/17 5:08 PM
Just saw "Too Fast" thread on same topic. My bad.
Jonr (Offline)
  #3 3/18/17 1:38 PM
To understand Belleville the best, look it up on Google Earth. It is a huge track and it is more of an circle than an oval. They have numbered the corners to help the drivers keep track of where they are at. The speeds that the cars can hit on that track are awesome. Unfortunately, when they crash, they are all bad crashes. The midget nationals are one of my favorite races. The speeds they maintain at that track is unreal. I would definitely put it on your bucket list.

Back to your original question, changing Belleville would be like changing Wrigley field. It could be done, but it would never be the same nor would it probably survive.

The fair board has been fairly aggressive in trying different ideas to keep the weekend moving forward.
Kansasdirtfan (Offline)
  #4 3/19/17 11:08 AM
They cut the banking down several years ago in an effort to reduce the speeds, and I assume to expose more of the Armco to keep cars from exiting the track in the event of a crash.

Bob Nikkel
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, rachasin
jeffc5227 (Offline)
  #5 3/19/17 1:20 PM
Here's a couple photos from last August at Belleville.
chase2raudman (Offline)
  #6 3/20/17 3:15 AM
I know of a few drivers, not going to name any names but they've said that they don't want to go back after last year.
trannyman (Offline)
  #7 3/20/17 9:37 AM
Originally Posted by chase2raudman:
I know of a few drivers, not going to name any names but they've said that they don't want to go back after last year.
I guess the question is...is because of the track itself,or because of the loss of a friend,there?
racenut69 (Offline)
  #8 3/20/17 4:47 PM
Just a hint,stay off 4m.......It's all about ********,anymore....JMO...

There is always room for one more in the corner! I'm disguised as a responsible adult!...
Michael Carter....
chase2raudman (Offline)
  #9 3/20/17 5:00 PM
Originally Posted by trannyman:
I guess the question is...is because of the track itself,or because of the loss of a friend,there?
Combo of both they were already worried about the speeds they were hitting and then the accident sealed the deal that they don't want to go back.