IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets and Wings?
2/24/17, 9:41 AM   #11
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
My guess would be mini sprints have fuller fields, D2 not so much.
Just FYI Fish,
In it's very first organized year, the D2 cars averaged 22 at Lincoln and 20 at Jacksonville. The high count being 29 at Lincoln, and the low of 12 also at Lincoln.
To put some perspective on that: Lincoln's average Modified count was 16, and their Pro Late Model count was 15.
I don't know IMRA's totals other than they always drew well at Spoon River, enough in fact for Spoon River to bump up the D2 purse for this year.... I think their highest car count was 31??

Now in Indiana it's been a bit slower, but looks like it will pick up some this year. With that said, D2 cars at Montpelier consistently were half, and sometimes more than half of the field.
In response to the initial post, i think most (read that most, not all.... NEMA), that get into Midget racing, are not into running a wing. If they were, there are plenty of other options out there to do so.

The Waynesfield group allows D2 when they run non wing, and I hope that MMSA in Indiana would someday do the same. Andy's group (MMSA) is very strong as it is, but I doubt promoters would be horribly upset with the spike in car count at the non wing shows.

2 members like this post: dirt40, fish
2/24/17, 11:20 PM   #12
Bear10

To be very blunt here I don't understand this d2 stuff. I mean it's like trying to come up with a way that people can run a low budget car .. isn't that what local tracks are for ... if you can't run usac or power I just hit the local tracks and run.. if you can't afford to run a midget and I do mean real midget! Than run a real lightning sprint! That's the only two classes there should be midgets and lightning sprints ... period and niether should run with or against one another period! I know this will get a lot of arguing but I'm sorry if you can't Affford a real midget than get a lightning sprint and honestly non wing sprint cars are cheaper to run than a midget is anyway so go do that. ruining the sport by separating the cars ...

2/25/17, 10:58 AM   #13
Re: D2 Midgets and Wings?
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear10 View Post
To be very blunt here I don't understand this d2 stuff. I mean it's like trying to come up with a way that people can run a low budget car .. isn't that what local tracks are for ... if you can't run usac or power I just hit the local tracks and run.. if you can't afford to run a midget and I do mean real midget! Than run a real lightning sprint! That's the only two classes there should be midgets and lightning sprints ... period and niether should run with or against one another period! I know this will get a lot of arguing but I'm sorry if you can't Affford a real midget than get a lightning sprint and honestly non wing sprint cars are cheaper to run than a midget is anyway so go do that. ruining the sport by separating the cars ...

With just a minimal change to the National Midget Rule book, Many of the newer 4 valve Automotive Engines have the potential designed into them to be very competitive with the very expensive purpose built Midget Motors. I know of one individual out west that claims his Hayabusa chain drive Midget was so competitive with the national motors that they outlawed him.

2/25/17, 12:54 PM   #14
kendirt

Not that a stock Hayabusa is 30% over the D2 displacement limit or anything.

My old man always says never let facts get in the way of a good story.

2 members like this post: DAD, fish
2/25/17, 5:33 PM   #15
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
Not that a stock Hayabusa is 30% over the D2 displacement limit or anything.

My old man always says never let facts get in the way of a good story.
The Big Zuk was in the discussions the first rules meetings and would have made a very competitive engine for the class even if it had to pull 200 pounds more weight. Point being that motor with a good car and driver could give the National Midgets a run for the money, and is be a lot cheaper to race. The D2 rules chose to promote a motor no longer in production forcing racers to rebuild (Expensive) high mileage motors thus raising the cost of racing. Now at Montpelier the Zuke is legal a much better idea in my way of thinking.

2 members like this post: Backitin, TQ29m
2/25/17, 11:51 PM   #16
dirtrack

Would a ZX14 be legal at Montpelier?

2/26/17, 12:57 AM   #17
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack View Post
Would a ZX14 be legal at Montpelier?
yep should be no problem there.

1 member likes this post: dirtrack
2/26/17, 1:52 AM   #18
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC77 View Post
Because wings belong on airplanes not race cars

2/26/17, 2:58 AM   #19
LJC77

Exactly puppy dog, if I wanted to watch slot cars go around the track is pull out my AFX set. Pull the tin foil off n learn some throttle control.

2/26/17, 8:25 AM   #20
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear10 View Post
Not very hard to understand, people are trying to up car counts by trying to get some cars out of the garage and onto the track.
I see in no way how any of this hurts the sport.

2 members like this post: Tom23, trannyman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets and Wings?