IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #11 8/18/16 1:55 PM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
No reason for anybody to get "butthurt" Charles; you nailed it. The facilities and concessions may be nothing to write home about (except the Pork Chops) but that doesn't seem to matter when you can witness sprinters 3 and 4 wide all the way around the track swapping sliders and crossovers at both ends and simultaneous wheelstanding drag races on the front and back straights. In hotlaps. Then come the Heats, the B and the Feature, when things really get serious.
I didn't know how people would take what I see as the truth. I like all the tracks for various reasons but have seen as good as I've ever seen on all of them at some point. Kokomo is consistent seat of the pants racing, Wheelies, biking, bouncing off the wall are common place. and uncommon lines seem to be the norm.

Charles Nungester
5 Likes: Al Pierce, Backitin, Jbaldwin, jim goerge, jjones752
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #12 8/18/16 1:58 PM
I'm offended. I prefer the cheeseburger. LOL

Charles, good call about Reece and the teams track prep. It's an understood thing for me but an oversight in my post. Also, for a track that gets criticized often for no outside food or drink, they sure don't do a very good job keeping people late to make their money on concessions!
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, jjones752
Backitin (Offline)
  #13 8/18/16 3:30 PM
I've never been there although I believe it's racing heaven. I do know that when I finally make it there I'm going to get the same feeling as when I was at my beloved Flemington fairgrounds speedway as a kid and young adult. I've never felt anything like it before or since but I have a feeling Kokomo will do it.
Nonwing 410's are the ultimate dirt ride and most believe Kokomo is the ultimate dirt track. If a track like Kokomo doesn't take you back in time when sprints were king nothing will.
DICNJAN (Offline)
  #14 8/18/16 4:50 PM
we are so lucky..live have been to about every race in the last 50 some years
every race is a smack down ...racing heaven..the O,conners have done a great job
only going to get better
jeffc5227 (Offline)
  #15 8/18/16 10:52 PM
I've never had the opportunity to run Kokomo, or even see it in person but I will take the advice from the most versatile and the most talented driver of my lifetime. It will always be special in my heart. Regardless
Tumey's 55 (Offline)
  #16 8/18/16 11:06 PM
- owners who created a truly special event like Smackdown
- typically the only track in the state running on Sunday night, often many USAC drivers are in attendance, not the largest car count but quality
- track set up to provide racing on the bottom, top and in-between
- wisdom to not always rework the track, often perfect at feature time with minimal rework
- BC'S FAVORITE TRACK, NUFF SAID
3 Likes: jeffc5227, jim goerge, nathans1012
oljonesy (Offline)
  #17 8/18/16 11:23 PM
because sprints no longer run winchester?
gtownplowboy (Offline)
  #18 8/19/16 7:30 AM
I have been going to kokomo since 1967.I usually make 40/50 races a year to all the tracks in Indiana.that being said kokomo consistently puts on the best show on dirt.the track prep is second to none, it is well lit, and run as effiecently as any track that I have ever been too.yes the amenities are not the best in the state, but I go for the racing.a usual show with 25/30 Sprint cars starts at 6pm and I am usually on the road by nine.as stated before there are usually more passes in the first two heats than all night at other tracks.the track is just made for Sprint cars and midgets.3,4,5 wide makes it all the better.ask about any car owner and they will tell you, making the show at kokomo is like making a USAC feature.the racing is that good.
3 Likes: Backitin, mc/rider, WinglessLovers
i love dirt track racing (Offline)
  #19 8/19/16 4:55 PM
Kokomo speedway is a great place to meet all the great racing fans and the racing is absolutely great. Our racing families love to going early to Kokomo and have lunch at Halfmoon And head to the track and talk to all the great racing families. It's a great racing environment and you will see that at every event at kokomo. Great racing families together and getting ready to see some great racing events. You will definitely see that at kokomo. Have fun and enjoy this year's smackdown it's going to be a great racing events. Thanks.
revjimk (Offline)
  #20 8/19/16 6:37 PM
Originally Posted by Backitin:
I've never been there although I believe it's racing heaven. I do know that when I finally make it there I'm going to get the same feeling as when I was at my beloved Flemington fairgrounds speedway as a kid and young adult. I've never felt anything like it before or since but I have a feeling Kokomo will do it.
Nonwing 410's are the ultimate dirt ride and most believe Kokomo is the ultimate dirt track. If a track like Kokomo doesn't take you back in time when sprints were king nothing will.
I live pretty far away myself & thoroughly enjoyed both Smackdowns I've attended. I can only tell you one thing, & its not the least bit original: Get Your ass to Kokomo!