IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Midget sanctions agree on 3-year rpm limit rules
4/27/16, 11:32 PM   #11
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC II View Post
Are you kidding Jason? Magneto failure was the biggest cause of midget DNF's for years. 4 cylinder vibrations killed them. You had to have three units, one on the engine, one in the trailer and one at the repair shop. They were not cheap and neither was the repairs.

Mike Devin
Yeah, but their Battery wasn't dead! Lol

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/28/16, 12:51 AM   #12
LocalYokel

And now the biggest cause of DNF's is MSD boxes going bad.
Shoot in NASCAR they have two mounted in the car because they fail so often.

Limiting th RPM's was one of the biggest screw ups USAC implimented in a long time. Made so many engines underpreform, and thus made them obsolete.
Last edited by LocalYokel; 4/28/16 at 12:54 AM.

2 members like this post: KMS2683, kundog
4/28/16, 1:14 AM   #13
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
It's nice there is a still a market for those that had engines from that time frame....There are PLENTY of places to run "modern day" 2.4s & 1000s in series deemed as "midget" classes...
My point is not eliminating or not allowing current engines, but to have less rules in hopez that inspires innovation and growth in midget racing. My underlying point is midget racing is essentially trying to survive on rules and platforms that are decades old, and as such are near extinction. Nobody has wanted to except change and now look where we are. Innovation creates more efficiency and lower costs, whereas stubborness, refusal to accept new ideas creates higher costs because the resources become limited do to less availability. Everyone in the midget arena can complain about costs but they have no ine to blame but themselves.

4/28/16, 9:28 AM   #14
Re: Usac: Midget sanctions agree on 3-year rpm limit rules
Daddyz

Did anyone else notice that the newly revised POWRi rules that include the RPM limits also added the Honda K24 at 2533cc to match USAC? I honestly thought this was the bigger news. As the rules are currently written, you have a couple of 'outlaw 2.4' (for lack of a better term) options in POWRi now.

Maybe, just maybe when the Honda/USAC deal finally collapses under it's own weight (how long will Honda pay to watch Toyota park it week in and week out?) then we will see a wide-open 2.4/2.5 or so production based OEM block and head rule.

This is the only path to sanity imo. Yes it will still be expensive, but putting together an oem block and head has to be cheaper than cutting one out of billet.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Midget sanctions agree on 3-year rpm limit rules