IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Speedracer (Offline)
  #11 4/3/16 1:09 PM
I showed my father the clip and asked if it was Tony Ploughe. He said he thought Tony went over in turn 1 not 2.

Vertigo (Offline)
  #12 4/3/16 4:24 PM
It is clearer on the first gen video that a white car starts flipping in turn one, hits the fence throwing off sparks, and at some point went over. How many cars ever went over the fence at Kokomo? If Tony Ploughe did it in the late 80's I bet it was him.
Gw275 (Offline)
  #13 4/3/16 4:55 PM
I believe John Mapes is the one that flipped over the fence and hit the building. I was there that night that you are questioning but i cant recall who it was. Thanks for bring up some good memories.
Josh Spencer (Offline)
  #14 4/3/16 7:00 PM
Yes John Mapes is one of them that went out of the ballpark in 3 and 4. He was driving for grandpa at the time Chuck Spencer. Went over and landed on a car and that car took off, but then landed in the grainery breaking the doors. My grandpa was sent the bill to pay those doors!

Josh Spencer
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #15 4/3/16 7:31 PM
My inside source (my brother, Lance) believes the car in question was Tom Bipes in Gene Davis's 99 car.
2 Likes: racerx5579, tirespinner
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #16 4/3/16 11:08 PM
I am pretty sure when Tony Ploughe went over the fence in turn 1 it was with a wing in a SOD race. The first person I ever saw go over was Steve Kinser pre WoO. He went out in turn 3. I asked Bob about it years later and he told me it was one of the first 4 or 5 races Steve ever ran. The old guys sitting behind us said Steve was just riding on Dad's name and was never gonna make it as a driver. I would say they missed that one.
3 Likes: bigq11, fish, on_the_hammer