IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ARDC Board of govenors positioned the club for 2016 and beyo
3/30/16, 6:22 PM   #11
Re: ARDC Board of govenors positioned the club for 2016 and
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
No I didn't !
I wonder who really does, its the first I heard of it. It's a great idea and I hope it works out. If they run this season, I'll make the trip over to check it out a couple times. I've never been on facebook but maybe someone should let him know that getting the word out on IOW would be a good idea. IOW is big everwhere.
Northwest of Poughkeepsie, near the Catskills
http://www.accordspeedway.com/contact-us.html

3/30/16, 6:43 PM   #12
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlesher View Post
In my opinion we do not need another class of race car especially in the Northeast
Everyone tries to focus on cost of racing
I have said it a million times you're racing will cost exactly what your budget will allow you to spend
Convincing people to buy a race car that they will be stuck with when the class does not make it doesn't make a lot of sense
New Egypt has been trying to get this class off the ground for a few years and the only way that they have been even remotely successful is by essentially giving cars away

What we have embraced in the ardc is creating an atmosphere that people want to participate in and will be justly rewarded for their participation

If you take a look at just about any spec class division it never grows and it mires in mediocrity

This of course is my opinion for what that is worth :-)
The northeast needs a lot less classes that much I'll give you.
It would be nice to do away with the crap and only have a few classes, too bad in your opinion theres no room for the best class of all, nonwinged sprints.
I mean midgets are cool, but they aint no sprintcar, so as far as the fans go were still lacking.
Back before there were so many classes the racing wasn't as complicated or spread thin. There were a ton of cars with no rules, now theres a ton of rules with hardly no cars. Go figure.
If you really get into todays rule books pretty much all racing is a spec class anymore, theres not a whole lot of choices and ingenuity is pretty much a thing of the past. Pretty boring.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
3/30/16, 7:28 PM   #13
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
The northeast needs a lot less classes that much I'll give you.
It would be nice to do away with the crap and only have a few classes, too bad in your opinion theres no room for the best class of all, nonwinged sprints.
I mean midgets are cool, but they aint no sprintcar, so as far as the fans go were still lacking.
Back before there were so many classes the racing wasn't as complicated or spread thin. There were a ton of cars with no rules, now theres a ton of rules with hardly no cars. Go figure.
If you really get into todays rule books pretty much all racing is a spec class anymore, theres not a whole lot of choices and ingenuity is pretty much a thing of the past. Pretty boring.
I miss "run whatcha brung" full inversion myself.....
That's what got me started back in the early 1960s, Smokey Stover running modifieds (hotrod coupes!) at Eastside Speedway, Waynesboro Va. He started in the back damn near every race (full inversion by points) & won 22 out of 24 races in 1962!

3/31/16, 12:12 AM   #14
DICK DRAGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Did you know about this? Nonwing, crate engine (with starters!) low buck racing in NY State. I was curious & thinking of going last summer but never made it... worth a look see
https://www.facebook.com/NorthEastWi...432363630806:0
Yes, I knew about this. Gary Palmer & Accord Speedway have been working on this for a year or two now. The track is perfect for Midget racing, as they have hosted ARDC in the past. Mr. Palmer is a Midget fan, he sponsors a lap at the Chili Bowl every year.

3/31/16, 12:41 AM   #15
jdull99

Props to a respected midget sanctioning body making some logistic & business type changes to keep things headed in a good direction...rather than just getting drunk on the "2.4 Kool-Aid" and banning equipment that many have in their shops! I look forward to reading of more positive things out that way!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: wlesher
3/31/16, 9:38 AM   #16
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I miss "run whatcha brung" full inversion myself.....
That's what got me started back in the early 1960s, Smokey Stover running modifieds (hotrod coupes!) at Eastside Speedway, Waynesboro Va. He started in the back damn near every race (full inversion by points) & won 22 out of 24 races in 1962!
Run what you brung was during what I consider the golden days of small guy racing.
The variety was unreal and if you really wanted to race pretty much anyone could afford it.
At Flemington the four or so fastest guys always started at the rear and always put on a show getting to the front. Nobody grumbled about being inverted, today if you put the fast guys back they act like your insulting them or ripping them off.
The racing went downhill and tracks closed with the invent of the factory modifieds, especially Grant King mods and Weld cars, cars for wealthy owners and drivers. Besides that the eastern modified owners had to compete with a influx of cocaine money into the sport. I know of two big time cutting edge builders that pretty much helped destroy the sport by having huge pockets of dirty money (both eventually went to jail) but the ball was rolling. Cookie cutters, especially the over priced over engineered cars did nothing but price many guys like me out of the sport and onto motorcycles as we did or maybe finding a different hobby all together. About the same time in the name of outright speed everybody had to go winged, more horsepower needed, more speed equals more money always has.
Anytime I hear a interview of a driver of a dirt car and he says he was keeping the car hooked up and as straight as possible, I know the racing sucked.

1 member likes this post: wlesher
3/31/16, 2:24 PM   #17
c47

NES is pushing hard but the track owner is the motor and wheel dealer. they are suppose to be sealed spec engines but.....since the track owner sells the motors and owns a car, and can have his own stuff sealed...well, you can take it from there. ps....his modified failed tech at least once. form your own opinion.
as far as accord and their series, i didnt check results every week but the times i did, i didnt see any results for this class. accord is a great track run by a dictator that would rather run 4 classes of 6-8 fender cars as a filler (support classes) so he can get the back gate money rather then fill the stands when ardc runs there.

3/31/16, 2:26 PM   #18
c47

if mr. palmer is a midget fan, perhaps he should show it by having a race or two. the track is awesome for midgets, which has been proven a few times.

3/31/16, 2:28 PM   #19
c47

we have run brewerton and fulton and would really enjoy coming back. 2 races back to back with a car wash right down the street and a holiday inn express with trailer parking.....not a bad deal.

3/31/16, 2:44 PM   #20
Backitin

Anyhow all being said I like the ardc and I wish them well.
If there is a next race vehicle in the garage it has to be a nonwing sprint or there is no way I'd be happy with anything else, obviously a personal decision.
We'll be at accord opening night to check it out, it wouldn't matter to us wether there were 6 cars or 26 at least we'd have somewhere to go.
I wish someone would approach PennCan speedway in Susquehanna PA about running a few nonwing shows, its a nice 1/4mi track and the sprints would be great on it. I'd run a car for sure if they had nonwing sprints. As it is I try to go watch the mudbus modifieds every few years but I cant stand it.
If the guys are interested in running there someone could pm me and I'd drive over the hill to talk to the promoter to see if theres interest. He's been running a couple winged shows and also just started having the nonwing 600's competing a couple times a year.
The hillbilly's around here would go nuts for nonwinged sprints. I use hillbilly in a complementary way, were proud of it. My sons speedway racing knickname is the "Hillbilly Hotrod".

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ARDC Board of govenors positioned the club for 2016 and beyo