IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Top 10 Must Visit Sprint Car Tracks in America
2/16/16, 1:14 PM   #41
Re: Top 10 Must Visit Sprint Car Tracks in America
Backitin

If the outside wall isnt caked in clay they got the track wrong, don't care where you are.
One of the best ways to bake a track to dust is run high horsepower and wings.
Its funny that a insurer would rather have guys racing on a dusty, vision imparing track. Maybe theres another way to slow down, take off the wings so you have to back it in.
Your looking for dirt in your beer not dust.

1 member likes this post: captrat
2/16/16, 1:30 PM   #42
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
If the outside wall isnt caked in clay they got the track wrong, don't care where you are.
One of the best ways to bake a track to dust is run high horsepower and wings.
Its funny that a insurer would rather have guys racing on a dusty, vision imparing track. Maybe theres another way to slow down, take off the wings so you have to back it in.
Your looking for dirt in your beer not dust.
I can somewhat agree with this statement drawing on Eldora experience from 20 years ago until now. We've always sat in the first set of bleachers in 4 closest to the main grandstands or brought our own seats and reserved a little piece of concrete real estate. Years ago during the big shows (King's Royal, World 100, Dream, 4-Crown) they would be out scraping the walls, you'd get pelted non-stop.

Now the walls are white all night and having to dodge clay is a thing of the past. Hope they can get it figured out. Seen some epic shows there through the years.

One question I do have. Is the prep they do for the NASCAR trucks affecting that service in the long term at all? I feel like after the race the surface isn't as good for the rest of the year.
Last edited by Nate; 2/16/16 at 3:54 PM.

2/16/16, 3:21 PM   #43
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Not sure why there is a ton of hate being aimed at Eldora. It's the track I visit most frequently, and I don't really notice too terrible of a dust issue.

Also not sure about this "catfish" winner thing. Only person I saw win on the bottom last year, wing or non wing, was Greg Wilson. Ballou won a USAC and BOSS show on top. Clauson would've won the four crown sprint show on top had he not had a tire issue, but he used the top and some big sliders to go from the back to fourth. Shane Stewart is a rocket on top, 12th to the win in the King's Royal with a few hefty slide jobs. Grant's win in May was on top I believe.

I still enjoy the racing here, and the speed will always be phenomenal. You can sure bet on me being there taking in the best of both worlds for the WoO/USAC sprint shows in early May!

1 member likes this post: dlhewitt
2/16/16, 6:13 PM   #44
Backitin

Probley a ton of hate because they see what Kokomo and a couple others are like.
Hate is a bit strong of a word here, better racing is better racing.
Isnt the owner of Eldora some big time racer ? Maybe people think he could produce a better track surface.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
2/16/16, 8:18 PM   #45
racefan20

Eldora has never been the same since Doty got hurt. After that Earl decided to slow it down and sheepsfooted it into pavement. Even just putting new dirt over the top of it doesnt do any good. I'd like to see them dig the whole thing up down past the old rubbered up dirt and bring in some good clay. That being said it would piss off every other organization that runs there because they all want the hard slick surface that has been the norm for the last 25 years. I'm not at all saying there has been no good non-wing races since then but I think they happen less frequently that they used to and much less frequently than tracks like Kokomo and Haubstadt.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Last edited by racefan20; 2/16/16 at 8:20 PM.

6 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, mowerman, RichH, sc17x, Will Shunk
2/16/16, 8:36 PM   #46
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
Probley a ton of hate because they see what Kokomo and a couple others are like.
Hate is a bit strong of a word here, better racing is better racing.
Isnt the owner of Eldora some big time racer ? Maybe people think he could produce a better track surface.
Tony Stewart, you might say that! Bob

2/17/16, 5:24 PM   #47
jim goerge

Little story about me sitting on a white golf cart at LPS with our leader Bill. Bill asked me what my favorite track was, I told him that I had a couple , he smiled at me and told me, My favorite is whatever track I'm at that night. You know what Bill was right that night and he"s still right If your favorite track isn"t on this list, Make your own list.

3 members like this post: DirtHawk92, i love dirt track racing, mc/rider
2/17/16, 9:03 PM   #48
Slidejob

Calistoga speedway is absolutely, without a doubt, the greatest track on the planet of earth. Straight out of Jack haudenshields mouth, "nonwing at Calistoga is the scariest place I've ever run"

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
2/23/16, 8:47 PM   #49
JDFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
9 out of 10. Never been to Tulare. I'll need to fix that someday.

I've even been to Double X once. I went there right after an Indy car race at Gateway. I arrived late and sat behind some locals, including a group of Mennonites. I had just sat down when the announcer came over the PA saying that "anyone who traveled the farthest to the track tonight would receive a free Pepsi. Just show your driver's license at the concession stand". I must've stood out for some reason. I swear 20 people turned around and looked at me. I will agree their hamburgers were amazing...and cheap. Everything was cheap. Even the cost to get in was like 8 bucks. It was like I had stepped into a time warp. And yes, I got that free Pepsi!
I've been to 7 of the tracks.

of those 7, tulare is my favorite (but all tracks can be if they have a great night of racing).

guessing kokomo always has a great night of racing. Same can be said most nights at Tulare, especially the Trophy Cup, but I really like the WOO/KOW and USAC 360 combo races. If u are a big non wing fan, maybe Tulare is not the best non wing track, for some reason, the wing cars put on a better show, although last year the wing fans got off their butts and gave a standing ovation to the winning driver of the non wing 360 winner.

Also Ventura should be on every race fans bucket list (as well as chilli bowl). Nothing like having built in air conditioning during the hot summer months of racing Tulare could be near 100 (but dry heat) yet you still will want to bring jackets to Ventura.

My bucket list of tracks to attend, include chilli bowl, Williams Grove, Ocean Speedway (nor cal version of ventura from what I hear, Chico Gold Cup and Calistoga (and most of the norcal tracks, seen more tracks in Indiana than I have in NorCal, flight is probably less time than driving up the state.

but my favorite race to look forward to every year, is the trophy cup (winged 360 ) at tulare with 80 plus sprint cars, with a fully inverted main event, makes for a wild 3 nights of racing and if I could afford it more often, ISW (but dang u guys have hot summers, my t shirt from brownstown is permanently sweet stained brown dirt, but one of the best races I have ever seen, 6 cars 3 by 3 racing for the lead, with I believe Brady Short (could be wrong) using his off track line and winning, with thunder and lightning hitting track within minutes of finish

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, mowerman
2/23/16, 10:51 PM   #50
tdt636

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFAST View Post
I've been to 7 of the tracks.

of those 7, tulare is my favorite (but all tracks can be if they have a great night of racing).

guessing kokomo always has a great night of racing. Same can be said most nights at Tulare, especially the Trophy Cup, but I really like the WOO/KOW and USAC 360 combo races. If u are a big non wing fan, maybe Tulare is not the best non wing track, for some reason, the wing cars put on a better show, although last year the wing fans got off their butts and gave a standing ovation to the winning driver of the non wing 360 winner.

Also Ventura should be on every race fans bucket list (as well as chilli bowl). Nothing like having built in air conditioning during the hot summer months of racing Tulare could be near 100 (but dry heat) yet you still will want to bring jackets to Ventura.

My bucket list of tracks to attend, include chilli bowl, Williams Grove, Ocean Speedway (nor cal version of ventura from what I hear, Chico Gold Cup and Calistoga (and most of the norcal tracks, seen more tracks in Indiana than I have in NorCal, flight is probably less time than driving up the state.

but my favorite race to look forward to every year, is the trophy cup (winged 360 ) at tulare with 80 plus sprint cars, with a fully inverted main event, makes for a wild 3 nights of racing and if I could afford it more often, ISW (but dang u guys have hot summers, my t shirt from brownstown is permanently sweet stained brown dirt, but one of the best races I have ever seen, 6 cars 3 by 3 racing for the lead, with I believe Brady Short (could be wrong) using his off track line and winning, with thunder and lightning hitting track within minutes of finish
Wouldn't be Indiana Sprint Week without 90° heat and 70% himidity!!!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Top 10 Must Visit Sprint Car Tracks in America