IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Vukie (Offline)
  #1 1/25/16 3:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/kcfairgrounds/?fref=photo
3 Likes: Nate, nathans1012, racegal
Nate (Offline)
  #2 1/25/16 3:21 PM
This is interesting. I know the lakers put up a lot of fuss over the noise. Going to be interesting to see just exactly what type of track they're building and for what types of cars.

A little throwback photo.
6 Likes: C Jagger, fish, jim goerge, nathans1012, R A K, WinglessLovers
DAD (Offline)
  #3 1/25/16 4:12 PM
Now there is a name out of the past. High hopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they were calling it X PLEX and were going to have a 1/4 mile indoor track>>>then the bottom fell out>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
2 Likes: nathans1012, PIT CART
kingmod5 (Offline)
  #4 1/25/16 4:50 PM
Based on the comments it looks be starting with 600 micros but that is only step one. Would be awesome to see big cars running there again. Doubt lake residents would let that happen though.
Nate (Offline)
  #5 1/25/16 5:34 PM
The locals were part of the reason that track died in the first place, along with other aspects. Can remember the track from my younger years. Use to have a lot of big names come in there.
Vukie (Offline)
  #6 1/25/16 6:33 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Now there is a name out of the past. High hopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they were calling it X PLEX and were going to have a 1/4 mile indoor track>>>then the bottom fell out>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Different track, this in Warsaw Indiana.

http://www.angelfire.com/in3/warsaws...y/history.html
midget31 (Offline)
  #7 1/25/16 7:18 PM
Looks like a great place for a race honoring Tony Elliott?
6 Likes: DIZZLE, interpreter66, Isaac Chapple Racing, KENDALLRACING, nedra_bahler_835@com, PIT CART
R A K (Offline)
  #8 1/25/16 9:39 PM
More recently ...
Attachments:
image.jpg (127.6 KB)

DIZZLE (Offline)
  #9 1/26/16 6:17 PM
This is my home track..its step in the wright direction
short track scott (Offline)
  #10 1/27/16 2:05 PM
In July 2015, the fair board opened the racing doors again on the grounds of the Kosciusko County Fairgrounds. The track was shuttered August 11, 1990 in a preemptive effort to stave off a lawsuit from 9 local homeowners who lived around Winona Lake, along which the fairgrounds and quarter mile speedway also resided.

The fair week 600cc minisprint event for both wing and nonwing cars as well as junior sprints was a resounding success. Fans from all over the area as well as many fairgoers came to see the action on what was a very small and quickly assembled surface. The feedback was highly encouraging and the plan to lay in a much more permanent surface of a one eighth mile track was developed.

In the months since then, the fair board has undertaken relocation of some power lines and equipment, upgrades to the facility and secured a large deposit of quality clay to provide a good racing surface. Because the fairgrounds will use continue to use the area for tractor/truck pulls, demolition derbies as well as concerts, the name has been updates to a 'motorsports complex'.

Rest assured, that when the flag goes into the air, the word "SPEEDWAY" will be in the air as well, if only for those racing events.

Currently program plans are to run wing and nonwing open 600s, as well as junior sprints. There is a desire to expand the program and the schedule in the future, however, at this time the main goal is to run a quality show for all involved and respect the noise and time curfew criteria that are in place.

Please feel free to stop by the Kosciusko county fairgrounds facebook page and let them know you support people who support bringing racing back to life!!

The 2016 event dates:
Friday May 6 test n tune
Friday May 20
Friday June 17
Wednesday July 13
Friday August 12
11 Likes: BrentTFunk, DirtHawk92, EBookerFan, i love dirt track racing, interpreter66, KENDALLRACING, microsprint15, Nate, nathans1012, spicoli, Vukie