allow aftermarket ignition for mec injection systems 19 34.55%
allow gasoline or methanol as fuel 10 18.18%
allow methanol only (safety) 31 56.36%
allow aftermarket injection electronic 24 43.64%
allow aftermarket injection mechanical 27 49.09%
allow bore change to meet displacement 14 25.45%
allow stroke change to meet displacement 13 23.64%
allow the use of restricted older National Midget Motors 25 45.45%
allow the use of stock smaller forced induction motors as they come on line 9 16.36%
allow M/C powerd cars to remove clutch and starter 10 18.18%
Allow 2.5L Engines 17 30.91%
I have raced in a DII class in the past 19 34.55%
I am very interested in DII Midget racing 18 32.73%
keep min weight as they are 1125>1000>910>875 7 12.73%
Change min weight of auto engine cars down to 1025 lbs. 3 5.45%
Tow your car on an open trailer 5 9.09%
weiRaise the min weight to accomodate 2014 average male weight of 196 pounds 4 7.27%
allow OEM Stock VVT 9 16.36%
VVT must be disabled if aftermarket fuel injection is used 3 5.45%
no wings 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules
10/14/15, 3:20 PM   #11
Re: New DII Engine rules
goforit14

I agree with Red70 comment. This is not going to be up to a vote on IOW as to what engine rules will be, and it shouldn't be. There is never been and never will be a engine rules that meets everyone's desire.. There is a big meeting this weekend with many of the groups and POWRI to hammer out the rules.

6 members like this post: computergeek, DAD, DaGuy, fish, hullracing, jjones752
10/14/15, 4:08 PM   #12
DAD

If someone decides to get an architect to design a house for them many times they will be presented with a survey asking what they care about and what is not so important to them. This helps the architect design a house that is more favorable to the owners. They generally do not include all of the wishes and may add things they think is necessary to make the house livable. From what I can tell the response has been pretty close to what I would have predicted.

But yea I have always said race organizations that are run by a benevolent dictator are usually always better than ones run by a committee. Most racers tend to be a little nearsighted when it comes to rules, thinking more about how will this rule affect me and to heck with everybody else.

The response about older National Midget motors kind of surprised me>>I did not realize how many of them were out there. These guys want to race and I would suspect they will race somewhere.

I am from Kentucky: Our State Motto is "United We Stand and Divided We Fall" Very true words.

Honest Dad himself

10/14/15, 4:10 PM   #13
hullracing

Once again why fix something that's not broken. As stated there is a meeting this weekend to talk about standardizing the rules to be able to run all over the country with no issues and unite everyone on a common playing ground, and for the guys with the older national motors wanting to race with the "D2" or however it will be named, there are places to run that national motor still, why restrict it to run slower? If your eyes are set to a class of this standards just sell the motor and build a motor legal to the rules. Less money and less maintenance all around. Just my 2 cents but I've also been in this and understand how things are and where they should go in the future. Any publicity about this style of racing is good, just think about how much drama it brings up starting poll's or discussing rules that make no sense most times. Keep it constructive and positive and good things will come. It's all about having a way to race an affordable midget to the little guys.

5 members like this post: DAD, DaGuy, fish, Wayne Davis, xoxide
10/14/15, 4:27 PM   #14
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullracing View Post
Once again why fix something that's not broken. As stated there is a meeting this weekend to talk about standardizing the rules to be able to run all over the country with no issues and unite everyone on a common playing ground, and for the guys with the older national motors wanting to race with the "D2" or however it will be named, there are places to run that national motor still, why restrict it to run slower? If your eyes are set to a class of this standards just sell the motor and build a motor legal to the rules. Less money and less maintenance all around. Just my 2 cents but I've also been in this and understand how things are and where they should go in the future. Any publicity about this style of racing is good, just think about how much drama it brings up starting poll's or discussing rules that make no sense most times. Keep it constructive and positive and good things will come. It's all about having a way to race an affordable midget to the little guys.

Hull

I believe that is exactly what would happen. If a guy blows up his old motor his bill to rebuild it or replace is going to be substantial. Much more than building a relatively stock type 4 valve motor (I Hope anyhow), that will out run them when they are set with moderate de-tuning to their old motor. Vintage racing is also growing more in popularity every day and these motors might be worth a lot of money to a Vintage racer trying to finish his project. When they are gone they are gone, (priced any 110 Offy Motor's lately"?? I also realize they stand a SnowBall's chance of being included in the class>>to me that is a shame.

The big thing to keep in mind is these new motors are getting more powerful every year and do not require a lot of outside pieces to make them dependable. The car makers have the ultimate equipment and knowledge to build a very fast and dependable motor we might be better to leave the internals just like they left the factory. And yes I know some racers just love to tinker!!!!

Honest Dad himself

10/14/15, 4:29 PM   #15
lightning01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Travis

I don't think they will be either "Mini" Or "Lightning" Midgets. The old guy with the concept down in Florida who has put forth a lot of time and effort furthering the concept, I would have to rate as selfless. He isn't making anything off of the deal. He is just trying to further the cause.

Me I am a very interested by stander who also like to get people thinking. At first I was a bit disturbed with the results but further study seems to prove out that racers aren't too far off the mark.

Do you think you could change your handle to DII01 or D201 ??

Seriously most of the people involved have the best interest of the class at heart. I for one don't want to see a wide open bidding war about who can spend the most money. If done right spending money won't be as big of an advantage as it is in other classes of racing, just like Mini-Sprints (I never did like the term Lightning Sprint) that is what got the Florida guy to thinking.

Honest Dad himself

I agree that most people have the best interest of everyone at heart, but there are a few that have an agenda that benefits them more than others. Selfishness isn't always about money.

1 member likes this post: DAD
10/14/15, 4:39 PM   #16
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy View Post
There is not much new in this D2 business. In 2016 the Illini Racing Series will have its 25th season of sportsman midget racing. Laverne Spenser has sheparded this deal from the start and has the scars to prove it. You may not like our tire rules but we have the motor thing pretty much under control. National motors are allowed but restricted; we have a stock internal rule but make allowances in restrictor size to account for motors that have been internally modified.
All that got "invented" in Florida or Iowa was the D2 nametag. Stock block clubs existed before WWII and proudly called themselves Class B Midgets.

Gear

I like your tire rule. I would like it even more if it was a Hoosier or American Racer very hard compound with a 10" tread and 82 to 84".

You guys are the originators no doubt. Wayne I think has spent some time in talking with you guys. He is the guy that somehow has brought you guys into the National awareness. Having read your rules 3 or 4 times and still getting confused every time I applaud your work. On dirt HP is not always your friend BUT on pavement HP is King and being able to devise a rule or plan and formula that also keeps all cars competitive on pavement is outstanding.

You guys have done your Homework!!!!!

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 10/14/15 at 4:41 PM.

10/14/15, 4:50 PM   #17
hullracing

A harder tire rule is only going to cause more cautions and guys spinning all over the place. The tracks have been hard, slick and barely rubber down so the sp2/sd38 have been a good choice. I ran a sp3 all year and had good luck with it but in the down side it seals up quick. What's in place now is a good rule IMO

3 members like this post: DaGuy, fish, xoxide
10/14/15, 4:56 PM   #18
Puppy

You cant keep the engine costs down once the "pro" engine builders get invovled. Its just the nature of having someone do something for you. Look at the cost of "stock" kart racing engines..... If you can find a way to "mandate" that the "team" built the engine, you may be on to something.....

10/14/15, 6:07 PM   #19
DAD

Quote:
A harder tire rule is only going to cause more cautions and guys spinning all over the place. The tracks have been hard, slick and barely rubber down so the sp2/sd38 have been a good choice. I ran a sp3 all year and had good luck with it but in the down side it seals up quick. What's in place now is a good rule IMO

Hull

The guys up in Illinois race on a much smaller tire and for years seem to do just fine with them both on pavement and dirt.

Honest Dad himself

10/14/15, 6:08 PM   #20
Sling'n DIRT

Quote:
Hull you are right and I like it and the florida group's tire deal...my understanding they are Hoosier dealer but you can still run whatever you want as long as it punches 40-45 somewhere like that and it's RR only...I know SP-2 is like a 42-43 and they are allowed.

1 member likes this post: DaGuy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules