IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nick Hamilton ready for redemption in Alex Pruett Memorial
9/23/15, 10:30 PM   #1
Nick Hamilton ready for redemption in Alex Pruett Memorial
Task Force

NICK HAMILTON READY FOR REDEMPTION IN THE ALEX PRUETT MEMORIAL
By Zach Tasker

This Saturday night September 26 sees the season finale for the D’Arcy GMC STARS National Midgets at the Grundy County Speedway in Morris, Illinois. A driver who will be making his return to the 1/3 mile paved oval in Northern Illinois is the 2014 Short Track Auto Racing Series National Midget rookie of the year, Nick Hamilton.

The Danville, Indiana native has seen a mixed limited schedule of sprint car, midget and micro sprint racing this year and is trying to make the most of every opportunity on track. His last outing in a midget was at the Tony Stewart Midget Classic at the Indianapolis Speedrome on July 25. As his older brother Kyle was celebrating on the front straight as the winner of the biggest pavement midget race of 2015, Nick was relegated to a 23rd place finish after coasting to a halt only 2 laps into the 100 lap affair with a mechanical problem.

The recent Danville Community High School graduate is focused on putting the bad taste of that night behind him knowing if the car holds together he has a shot at victory lane. This Saturdays Alex Pruett Memorial presented by 3 Wide Life will have a little twist for the younger Hamilton, though. Instead of piloting his normal black #32, he will be behind the wheel of the Day-Glo orange #33, usually driven by older brother Kyle.

Kyle, who is tied for 1st on the all-time career win list in STARS competition with Jimmy Anderson, will be serving as the crew chief for the evening. Nick understandably is happy with the arrangement. “I'm really excited to get back in the car. I hope my time off doesn't throw me off my game at all and we can be where we want right away. I don't think it will take very much adjusting. The Speedrome race left an extremely bad taste in my mouth and I think it will keep me eager to be up front. The confidence will be there, but it will take a few laps to get back adjusted just because of lack of seat time. I would really like to put it on the podium. A win would be much needed with all the bad luck I have had lately.”

For the driver nicknamed as the Professor, stepping out of the car to help mentor his younger brother is a transition the Purdue University graduate is looking forward to “I'm perfectly comfortable having Nick race my car. I love my brother and he has done so much for me in my career. I would do anything to give him some of the opportunities that I have had. The 33 car is one fast piece and has been very good to me over the years. I'm really excited for Nick to have the opportunity to drive it. I can really embrace the crew chief role. I have taken a significant step back from racing over the last 2 years for various reasons so helping my brother is no big deal for me. I look forward to getting Nick more consistent behind the wheel. He has shown lots of speed at various points over the past 2 years including some strong points in the Little 500 in a sprint car. My goal is to get him to the point where he can put together an entire race of good, hard laps. Part of that will be in driver coaching and part of it will be in chassis setup.”

The #33 Curtis Motor Sales Special/Advanced Racing Suspensions Spike/Esslinger will be a car to watch out for like usual at the Grundy County Speedway during the 50 lap feature this Saturday night. “Nick and I work together well and I think we can combine those two worlds to give him a chance to run up front and contend for a victory. It will be weird seeing the 33 on the track from an outsider’s perspective, but I wouldn't have anyone else besides Nick behind the wheel.”

Pit gates open at 2 pm Saturday with practice at 4:20 pm. Spectator
gates will open at 4:30 pm followed by qualifying at 5 pm and racing getting underway at 6 pm, for live updates on Saturday and throughout the entire racing season like Kyle Hamilton Racing on Facebook.
Attached Images
nick orange 33.jpg (96.4 KB, 29 views)

2 members like this post: JessicaJ, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nick Hamilton ready for redemption in Alex Pruett Memorial