IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SOD has no rules in 2016
9/5/15, 11:04 PM   #11
Motormasher

The absolute BEST way to make ever one equal is to have a 1 3/4 header rule. Don't matter what size engine you have it can't flow with that little header.
Easy to tech and cheap.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, spicoli
9/6/15, 11:32 AM   #12
staggerman

I think some of you are missing the point. With 13" RR and a 11" LR you can have all the power in the world but if you can't get it to the ground with the narrow tires it will level the field if you have a 410 or 360. Plus look at how many 12 headed 410's out there you can buy for under $10,000 compared to buying a high dollar 360 motor.

The only thing I would have liked to see is a weight rule but if you look at the current cars in MI imagine no one is close to the current weight rule.

Plus with new tires there are not different sizes so everyone will be close to same amount of stagger.

1 member likes this post: fish
9/6/15, 11:56 AM   #13
Re: SOD has no rules in 2016
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
I think some of you are missing the point. With 13" RR and a 11" LR you can have all the power in the world but if you can't get it to the ground with the narrow tires it will level the field if you have a 410 or 360. Plus look at how many 12 headed 410's out there you can buy for under $10,000 compared to buying a high dollar 360 motor.

The only thing I would have liked to see is a weight rule but if you look at the current cars in MI imagine no one is close to the current weight rule.

Plus with new tires there are not different sizes so everyone will be close to same amount of stagger.
I think John Naida was hitting on that very subject in the drivers meeting at Hartford when he presented this new formula for next season. He made references to Rick Ferkel running drag racing tires in the old days, being able to get the power down down the straights, and basically start dominating. So a lot of other drivers went to drag tires and sprint car racing for this application was changing drastically and going away from the racing we all know - siding through corners. At least that is what I THINK he was trying to present. I am just a fan, you know.

But in this day and age with so many series running spec, I fully thought SOD was going to announce spec engines, chassis, tires, body panels, etc. I even wondered if they were going to go to a partially spec track, like running Crystal Motor Speedway every other race. They did almost a complete 180.

And yes, I too am wondering like chop - with "no engine rules" will this allow nitrous oxide, doctoring of fuels, and traction control? I will give SOD credit in this area where traction control is illegal in pretty much every series but so many guys use it, the sanctioning bodies just turn a blind eye to it.

This will be extremely interesting to follow next season. But like I said, I will give SOD, Naida, and the Irwins credit for being pioneers and charting a new course and a new direction.

Of course, purse $$$ will overcome any obstacle. I tam sure this is where the Hoosier spec tire deal starts the kick in.

9/6/15, 12:33 PM   #14
chop

I understand the narrow (hard compound?) tire move. But is it a higher cost for less amount of tire? Are they going to limit the amount of tires used in a night? Will this turn in to a tire soaking-grinding party? Will the racer have to spend tons of money on shocks-bars to get that little bit more out of the new tire? So any sprint car in the world can now run with SOD. Last year Rico showed up on a off night. Will they want to buy new (can't use any other place) rims and tires? I would think more likely would pick an other club to race. Don't get me wrong, I really hope it does work, more cars, good side by side, two groove racing.

9/6/15, 1:22 PM   #15
MIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
"No engine rules." So yes, you can run that motor. I totally get this move from the organization's perspective. Make every car in the world legal, and maybe every car in the world will join. $$$ If there are no rules, you don't need anyone to enforce them. $$$ If there is no weight rule, you don't need anyone to weigh them. $$$ Make spec tires, and sell them to the racers at any price you want. $$$ I have heard no mention of payout increasing, but I'm willing to bet there's zero chance of that. $$$ Those who race will be spending huge $$$ to try to be competitive. I can promise there will be no saving the racers any money.
This kind of reminds me of what Butler did a couple years ago with their sportsman class. They had a good group of guys who ran sportsman. They decided to open up the rules to include late models not exclude them. The only difference was a smaller tire. The result? A few late models came. They also dominated. The sportsman/pro stocks who were running out there could not be competitive so they sold or went else where. They are now left with about 5-10 cars running for what I assume is the last season. They tried to get late models to come race for a sportsman purse. It didn't work. Is SOD going to try to get 410s to buy a new tire for a 360 purse? If the purse does not increase top to bottom the cars will not come. That's just my opinion.

9/6/15, 2:40 PM   #16
fish

-- Is it cheaper to field a 410 AND 360?
-- This is the same "rules package" as Butler (minus tires). Doesn't this put SOD, Butler & MTS on the same playing field?
-- Anyone remember when SOD was a 410 series?
-- Butler sportsman? Don't get me started. I could go on for hours.

9/6/15, 5:15 PM   #17
sprintracer82

Mts has an open hoosier right rear tire rule. Other three corners are open. They also have a sensible weight rule but haven't rolled a car across scales in years. I'm all for opening up rules, but sod had a great thing going and had a fair amount of cars. On par with mts and the other local sprints. This rule change just isolated them once again. It's bad enough that mother nature has us surrounded with huge lakes and we are blessed with sand in our clay, now wing teams have to buy special wheels and tires to run the wing series. I know I'm not a wing guy, but I do have the stuff now to go wing racing once I build a new car, but with these rule changes it isn't going to happen. Cutting down on the tires will only make shocks and bars that much more important.

1 member likes this post: fish
9/6/15, 11:17 PM   #18
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
There is a reason that WoO introduced the 410ci limit rule in the early 80's when teams were getting out of control with massive big blocks and crazy light cars.

Maybe Hartford should just race 360's next year Semi-weekly. Looks like 20+ cars may have just became available....
I was lucky enough to see the big blocks scream down the long straightaways at Williams Grove during that time. You're right, the WoO had to make the change.

More than anything, my thoughts on the reason Butler has had an open engine rule is simply because they don't want to do the tech! But I can't say I've witnessed any exotic engines in the pits.

There was a time when Butler & SOD went by the same engine rules and to me that was some of the best times in Michigan sprint car racing. Some years there were 5 or 6 SOD shows at the track and they were sort of like a Posse-Outlaw showdown.

It would be really beneficial for sprint car racing in the state of Michigan to have all the series and tracks, including Hartford & I-96 on the same page. (Heck, I would go for Racesaver 305s if they all agreed to it!)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SOD has no rules in 2016