IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salem
8/9/15, 2:34 PM   #11
Re: Salem
FishBurger

My first James-O'Connor Memorial 100 lapper was in 1961. Parnelli Jones (Midwest USAC Sprint Champ) and A.J. Foyt (Eastern USAC Sprint Champ) were both carrying the number 1. Like Ron's post above for '67, all the "big dogs" were there on this day. McCluskey, Branson, Marshman, Hemmings, A.J. Shepherd (in the Hoffman car, I believe), Tingelstad, and more. It was a terrific race won by Parnelli to my dismay as I was rooting for Foyt. A.J. did win in it '62 I didn't think then that I would ever miss this event......now, I wouldn't walk across the street to see it. Sad...

8/9/15, 3:09 PM   #12
Nate

Must See has been hurting for cars all season. Other than the Little 500 I haven't seen them have more than 10-15 cars in any event. Even series mainstays like Jo Jo Helberg don't even run it fulltime anymore. Not one of those big pavement sprint fans but sad to see any open wheel series or track have trouble drawing cars.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, ronmil, team3521
8/9/15, 3:35 PM   #13
BrentTFunk

Can you imagine the uproar if this was a USAC race? In their defense pavement seems to be hurting and Must See hung in longer than most. Hope this slump doesn't continue too long.

8/9/15, 6:26 PM   #14

For you pavement naysayers, on July 25, AVSS had 25 cars at Kalamazoo and on August 1, MTS had 22 cars at Auto City on only their third pavement race ever (it was non-winged). The cars are out there and willing to race.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

8/9/15, 6:41 PM   #15
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
For you pavement naysayers, on July 25, AVSS had 25 cars at Kalamazoo and on August 1, MTS had 22 cars at Auto City on only their third pavement race ever (it was non-winged). The cars are out there and willing to race.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing
Could it be they don't care for the high banks? There were always some drivers who wouldn't run on "the hills". The most notable I can think of was Bill Vukovich.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/9/15, 9:27 PM   #16
Xflagman

You are right Ron.

8/9/15, 9:50 PM   #17

I can only speak for our team and I will not subject this board to my conjecture on why other teams did not participate, but our team not being there had nothing to do with the banks. Both Jim and I have run there (and Winchester) multiple times and actually Jim does very well at the high speed places.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

3 members like this post: fish, i love dirt track racing, ronmil
8/10/15, 5:55 AM   #18
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing
Wasn't trying to be a naysayer, I like pavement. It seems things go in cycles. The little 500 had a really good car count also this year.

1 member likes this post: fish
8/10/15, 9:56 AM   #19
snoopy

Personally, for me, my wife, and mechanic the unloading of everything and reloading is a deterant. It's not
A toolbox, couple tires, and a couple jerri cans on an open trailer any more.
About any other weekend we would have been there. Family matters come first.

Sam Davis

1 member likes this post: ronmil
8/10/15, 11:33 AM   #20
TQ29m

I can remember going to Salem, now this has been a while back, so far back, they were running late model convertibles, but back to the front, sprint cars, midgets, the East Coast Modifrieds, you couldn't park anywhere, cars and haulers, infield was full, stands were full, don't figure, same track, same cars, no cars or people, no interest? Don't know, generation gap I guess! Bob

1 member likes this post: ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salem