IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It might get even harder to get kids interested.
4/21/15, 9:46 AM   #1
It might get even harder to get kids interested.
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I've long felt that one of the reasons kids don't get interested in racing is that they don't maintain their own cars. For example, the cars don't need plugs and points every few thousand miles. Now, the big manufacturers want to make it impossible: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/a...s-car-repairs/

2 members like this post: jim goerge, TQ29m
4/21/15, 10:05 AM   #2
Re: It might get even harder to get kids interested.
JJMooney

Kids today don’t even want a car. This is a Fast Company article from last year:
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3027876/m...figure-out-why

"Because millennials use technology in every facet of their lives—from mobile phones to tablets and laptops—to connect with friends and family and to get work done, the tech gadget is their most prized possession, and has a much higher value to a CMC (College Millennial Consumer) than transportation or owning a car. "

2 members like this post: TQ29m, turn4
4/21/15, 12:13 PM   #3
Nate

I personally believe kids don't maintain their vehicles these days because the age of dads even knowing what their doing is dying and therefore teaching their kids how to maintain their own vehicles is out of the question.

It's just like how the percentage of people knowing how to drive a manual has greatly decreased

4 members like this post: jim goerge, kylenap, PJ Wright, TQ29m
4/21/15, 12:22 PM   #4
PJ Wright

All sadly accurate points.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Joey T, Scott Bradley
4/21/15, 12:40 PM   #5
turn4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
Kids today don’t even want a car. This is a Fast Company article from last year:
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3027876/m...figure-out-why

"Because millennials use technology in every facet of their lives—from mobile phones to tablets and laptops—to connect with friends and family and to get work done, the tech gadget is their most prized possession, and has a much higher value to a CMC (College Millennial Consumer) than transportation or owning a car. "
Albert Einstein said "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." I think we're their.

7 members like this post: CRA91, dirt330, hoscalecody, jim goerge, TQ29m, Unlucky#9, VSneader2
4/21/15, 12:46 PM   #6
tamati

I realized this a long time ago when the local school quit teaching auto and small engine mechanics. Took it upon myself and taught my son to work on his own truck and snowmobile,bikes,ridingmower and other things. At 17 years of age he can do about anything he puts his mind to. Benefits me,son please change my oil,rotate my tires etc.etc.etc.

4/21/15, 2:07 PM   #7
TQ29m

On the interweb news on Yahoo, this AM, was an article about this very thing, the Auto Companies are looking at a bill, that was written, and passed, in 1998, I think, that would prohibit anyone but a Certified ASME mechanic, from performing any repairs on any car, built by the manufacturers of today, at anywhere but the Dealers repair centers. Now comes the question, the dog caught the car, now what's he do, how will this be policed, but it is a sad state of affairs, when things like this look to be controlled by Big Brother. Food for thought! Bob

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
4/21/15, 10:05 PM   #8
xoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn4 View Post
Albert Einstein said "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." I think we're their.
*there

Case in point. hahah

7 members like this post: dirt330, fish, Peterman, reeserx, Rex W., turn4, VSneader2
4/22/15, 10:55 AM   #9
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
On the interweb news on Yahoo, this AM, was an article about this very thing, the Auto Companies are looking at a bill, that was written, and passed, in 1998, I think, that would prohibit anyone but a Certified ASME mechanic, from performing any repairs on any car, built by the manufacturers of today, at anywhere but the Dealers repair centers. Now comes the question, the dog caught the car, now what's he do, how will this be policed, but it is a sad state of affairs, when things like this look to be controlled by Big Brother. Food for thought! Bob
Follow the money. It's a pure UNION driven effort. Union's don't want the regular guy to work on his vehicle because it doesn't line their pockets.

4/22/15, 11:51 AM   #10
turn4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
*there

Case in point. hahah
I went to public schools!

2 members like this post: 1sprintcar1, Nate
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It might get even harder to get kids interested.