IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton Named USAC Executive Director
3/10/15, 1:33 AM   #11
Re: Hamilton Named USAC Executive Director
oljonesy

one word...pavement. without such, usac is just another weekly show. usac championships used to mean versatility to tackle all types of courses,usually not less than half miles,for the sprint cars.

5 members like this post: duel, fish, LRP36, Manic Racing, tamati
3/10/15, 3:02 AM   #12
reeserx

Awesome to have a former racer actually runnin the show, now usac has listened to our complaints about some things and if davey can fix some of our complaints, let's put butts in the seats and pack the grandstands, it's one way to show appreciation. More people show up, maybe the purse goes up, who knows? Bring a friend. All it took for me to be hooked was one time. One race and I was hooked

1 member likes this post: dirt330
3/10/15, 8:06 AM   #13
Seadog

First Hillenburg and now Hamilton - all I can say is bravo USAC!

I was raised on pavement since 1955 on AAA an USAC. I'm in the minority here, I know that. But Davey, please bring back pavement racing to USAC. It's where my heart is since the '50s.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, groove grabber, tamati
3/10/15, 10:12 AM   #14
Midget 89

Where does this leave the Must See Sprints? Will there be a Florida trip to run with Tampa Bay Auto Racing Association (TBARA)?

3/10/15, 10:22 AM   #15
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
First Hillenburg and now Hamilton - all I can say is bravo USAC!

I was raised on pavement since 1955 on AAA an USAC. I'm in the minority here, I know that. But Davey, please bring back pavement racing to USAC. It's where my heart is since the '50s.
w/o wings

3/10/15, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget 89 View Post
Where does this leave the Must See Sprints? Will there be a Florida trip to run with Tampa Bay Auto Racing Association (TBARA)?

Tom Paterson

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
3/10/15, 11:30 AM   #17
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
Back in the day, 60's USAC ran a stock car division. Remember some great racing at Indiana State Fairgrounds and the road course 250 at IRP. I know its wishful thinking but would be great to see again.
Yes, their stock car division was almost on an equal level with NASCAR back then. The races at IRP were originally 300 miles and they used the entire road course. They ran clockwise then, but they shortened the race to 250 miles and started running counterclockwise in either 1965 or 1966. I know for certain they did in 1966. I remember a car driven by Herb Shannon of Peoria, IL blowing it's engine on the main straight and hitting the flagman, John Shipman, then coming into the pit area, which was near the track, hitting and scattering parts and tools over a considerable area. My parents and I were standing near the chain link fence behind Paul Goldsmith's pit, and we were certainly shaken up by the experience. John Shipman was fortunate that he received only a leg injury.
In the 1964 race, every big name driver in USAC and NASCAR was there. That was the only time I got to see Fireball Roberts race. The race was on May 3, 1964, three weeks before he was burned during the World 600 at Charlotte, leading to his death on July 2, 1964. Fred Lorenzen won the race on May 3.
I believe USAC signed a do not compete clause when they finally disbanded the stock car division, but I cannot state that with 100% certainty. USAC ran stock cars up into the eighties, but they had switched to pony cars.
Some of the best stock car races I ever saw were put on by USAC at DuQuoin and Indianapolis.
Last edited by ronmil; 3/10/15 at 12:09 PM.

3/10/15, 7:27 PM   #18
team3521

Does anyone remember this discussion in the link below?....I certainly do!

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=77359

I will be the first to be negative! I am NOT happy about the USAC sanctioning the AVSS and King of Wings races.

I don't care if it's for the sole purpose of obtaining insurance or the notoriety of the name "USAC"! The owners of the winged sprint cars are all going to pay for this.

In the past 15 years, they have done nothing but ruined pavement open wheel racing as we've known it. All 3 divisions! Why would we want them to take something that is working and "fix" it?

That's like giving a guy that has ran his business out of business, the control over his competitions business that has been doing well for years! Not a wise decision IMO!

I really hope I'm proven incorrect! I hope Davey is ready for the challenge he's facing.

Greed! The root of all evil!

I'd love to have ossuks opinion on this....Bill, you listening?
Last edited by team3521; 3/10/15 at 7:36 PM.

3/11/15, 8:19 AM   #19
racerX

This is great news for short track racing. Davey has the passion for the sport and sees all 4 corners of the square. from #1 family owning a race track in Idaho. #2 owning a series #3 being a competitor #4 owning race teams. The key is to keep it all connected. Remember Davey can't walk on water and is not going to change the state of short track racing over night. However if we all get behind him on this. If we are all passionate about the sport, and have NO negative comments on here it will be fine. Think of it this way, What about the person that has never been to a short track and people tell them all negative things about the place why would the person want to go there. So everyone if you truely love and have the passion for the sport you all will post or have positive comments.

3/11/15, 8:51 AM   #20
team3521

Posted by SP motorsports on 5/27/14 at 1:15 pm in a thread that was named "Night before the 500:

I provide the following information for fact purposes only. Not to support any particular view. It has been stated that they are a non-profit which is a realm I make my daily living in. So here is some publicly available information that may or may not support some viewpoints.

According to their IRS form 990 for the fiscal year ended 11/30/2012

Total Revenue: $5,102,264

Total Salaries: $1,393,999

Total Expenses: $4,583,733

Revenue less expenses: $518,531

Total Net Assets: $2,249624

Reportable Compensation:

Kevin Miller $434,000
Jason Smith $95,000

Two main sources of revenue: (not a comprehensive list of all revenue sources)

Race Revenue: $3,013,203
Sponsorship Revenue: $1,530,502

*****All of this information was taken from a 29 page document that is public information.

Now I have a question for all of you.
This information was before Davey was brought on.
Who do you think is going to pay for this?

3 members like this post: Great Scott, Ken Bonnema, Revolution Racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton Named USAC Executive Director