IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > non wing racing!
2/4/15, 1:05 PM   #21
Re: non wing racing!
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_edge View Post
Quarter midgets have to make money for USAC, they get all kinds of cars for those events, with pretty pricey entry fees, and then hand out trophies as prizes. My guess is that's a good division for them as far as the financial side of things.
I'm not saying these divisions may not be financially successful or may not draw cars. But they stretch resources and take time and effort away from the more well known divisions (Silver Crown, Sprints, etc.)

What I'm getting at is if you focus on less divisions perhaps the product would be better? Just a thought...

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FALCONEDDIE, Joey Woods
2/4/15, 3:04 PM   #22
grumpy racer

First off USAC properties is there to make money thus the quarter midgets,trucks,and anyother sanctioned division of USAC. That being said as Kevin Miller stated at the points banquet its to help sprints, midgets,silver crown. I have my own personal feelings about some of problems with sprint racing but FACT if you hire a top tear driver in NON WING sprint car USAC is the only place you can race and hope to make a fraction of the cost back. What people find hard to accept is though I feel the racing is very good nonwing racing sprint cars is a pimple on a elephants ass. USAC I feel tries very hard to schedule races all over the country but at times find it hard in wing country. We have had goood races at several tracks Burlinton Iowa 2 years ago but heat keep fans away no one in stands. Two weeks later a wing show had good turn out in better weather. Thats not racers or usac fault. Williams Gove never runs us so we sit out Friday in PA. and some go watch the wings cause you dont go against the grove. I wish we could race for bigger money and points funds but it is what it is. Till we get TV sponsors balk and ask what do I get for my money. The TV deal takes money and I dont want money taken away from purses or point funds in a hope to maybe attract a sponsor its a vicious cycle. Do any of you realize there are no major money sponsors from IN. on the top 15 usac cars. All most all are from out of state not counting family deals why is that yet this is the hub of nonwing racing go figure. We all have a stake in this so need to work together. To original post Bryan will have more opportunities in a wing car for money so good for him but I bet we will see him a time or two so GO TO THE DAM RACES people.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, gastown, jjones752, JordanBlanton, kstudley57
2/4/15, 3:55 PM   #23
dshort36

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy racer View Post
First off USAC properties is there to make money thus the quarter midgets,trucks,and anyother sanctioned division of USAC. That being said as Kevin Miller stated at the points banquet its to help sprints, midgets,silver crown. I have my own personal feelings about some of problems with sprint racing but FACT if you hire a top tear driver in NON WING sprint car USAC is the only place you can race and hope to make a fraction of the cost back. What people find hard to accept is though I feel the racing is very good nonwing racing sprint cars is a pimple on a elephants ass. USAC I feel tries very hard to schedule races all over the country but at times find it hard in wing country. We have had goood races at several tracks Burlinton Iowa 2 years ago but heat keep fans away no one in stands. Two weeks later a wing show had good turn out in better weather. Thats not racers or usac fault. Williams Gove never runs us so we sit out Friday in PA. and some go watch the wings cause you dont go against the grove. I wish we could race for bigger money and points funds but it is what it is. Till we get TV sponsors balk and ask what do I get for my money. The TV deal takes money and I dont want money taken away from purses or point funds in a hope to maybe attract a sponsor its a vicious cycle. Do any of you realize there are no major money sponsors from IN. on the top 15 usac cars. All most all are from out of state not counting family deals why is that yet this is the hub of nonwing racing go figure. We all have a stake in this so need to work together. To original post Bryan will have more opportunities in a wing car for money so good for him but I bet we will see him a time or two so GO TO THE DAM RACES people.
Grumpy i have to respectfully disagree on USAC being the only way to run non wing and get a more of your cost back.. having been there and done that with the cost of travel and lodging it is more practical and profitable to run local and hit the bigger paying races locally , including the USAC ones..that being said is probably why there are only a handfull of USAC drivers and teams running the full schedule..

2/4/15, 4:09 PM   #24
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort36 View Post
Grumpy i have to respectfully disagree on USAC being the only way to run non wing and get a more of your cost back.. having been there and done that with the cost of travel and lodging it is more practical and profitable to run local and hit the bigger paying races locally , including the USAC ones..that being said is probably why there are only a handfull of USAC drivers and teams running the full schedule..
But the problem you run into there is if you don't win the local show the payout is greatly decreased, at least with USAC you are guaranteed $500 to make the show, unless your Brady winning one out of 2 every weekend it would be hard to make money lol. It's no secret in order for most to make money non wing racing you go run USAC where it pays at least 5k to win every race, unless like I already stated you can win a couple of those local shows each month.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
2/4/15, 6:59 PM   #25
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Woods View Post
I've bit my tonge for several years now. Here's the real deal. For all u that want to fix USAC but dont want to change anything (tradition) well ur a dumbass.

Why is WOO so successful? One division. If u want ur precious USAC to be successful in modern times as so many of u seem to really really want you have to kill the other divisions. Yes I said kill the financial drains of the Silver Crown, National Midget, focus midget, whatever. If u truly want USAC to be successful take everything other than the USAC sprint car out behind the barn and shoot it.

There are far too few owners spread across too many divisions. This is exactly why USAC SUCKS. They completely compete against themselves on every level. There's not one half way smart business man in the world that would continually operate a self competive business like USAC does.

USAC could easily draw large fields of quality cars with large purses but the traditional old ducks of "traditional" sprint car racing would never allow it. The old traditional lame ducks that have to have there traditional "old days" (40 years ago) would never allow it.

If you want to fix USAC kill everything but the sprint cars or keep on keeping on in the same direction.
http://www.worldracinggroup.com/

"World Racing Group is the premier sanctioning body for dirt track racing in the United States and Canada. World Racing Group encompasses the World of Outlaws STP Sprint Car Series, World of Outlaws Late Model Series, Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds, a vast DIRTcar Racing sanctioning program of more than 5,000 races annually at 120 tracks, along with ownership of Volusia Speedway Park in Barberville, Fla., Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, Pa., and Rolling Wheels Raceway Park in Elbridge, N.Y."

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Joey Woods, PIT CART
2/4/15, 7:58 PM   #26
rockstar5

I couldn't disagree more usac treats there drivers bad as it is please no more control from usac

2/4/15, 8:56 PM   #27
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
http://www.worldracinggroup.com/

"World Racing Group is the premier sanctioning body for dirt track racing in the United States and Canada. World Racing Group encompasses the World of Outlaws STP Sprint Car Series, World of Outlaws Late Model Series, Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds, a vast DIRTcar Racing sanctioning program of more than 5,000 races annually at 120 tracks, along with ownership of Volusia Speedway Park in Barberville, Fla., Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, Pa., and Rolling Wheels Raceway Park in Elbridge, N.Y."
Yes I understand that WRG has many different "divisions". I was referring to the fact that they ony have one Sprint Car Division.

As far as the USAC Sprint program growing into a traveling series such as the WOO has its to confusing for the new or casual race fan. Too many race cars that look like a sprint car. I love them all but there is not enough market share for three very similar premier divisions if growth is in fact the goal. It's the equivalent of one person operating three restaurants all next door to each that serve basically the same food and two of which are operating at a continual loss. Which restaurant does the owner focus on? Or does the owner decide which restaurant makes the most sense to keep open.

My wife has been to numerous races and knows exactly what a wing sprint car is but struggles to identify any USAC car other than to label it as a big or little sprint car. This is a college educated person that genuinely wants to learn about racing because she enjoys going to races with me. It's really no different than me trying to identify Street Stock classes. Is it a pure stock, street stock, super stock, pro stock etcetera. Point is I'll watch the street classes but I'm not going to put forth the effort to learn the classes. Same with my wife and USAC. She'll attend races but would rather attend a WOO race simply because it's easier for her to follow.

Personally I like the idea of USAC's involvement in the 1/4's. Its brilliant! I see it as a farm league so to speak.

From a financial standpoint I love the sanctioning body aspect. Heck sanction anything that will let u sanction it. Sanction monster trucks, or even girls softball for that matter. I'm kidding of course but USAC does have a very rich history that would make it a no brainer for many racing divisions of all sorts. Who would not want to be a USAC Champion?

If I was ever given the choice of imprisonment or president of USAC I would have to choose imprisonment. I think it would be a much better life choice. Kidding aside, if I was put in charge of "fixing" the issues at hand. I would immediately shut down the national midget and Silver Crown touring divisions and direct that now available focus on developing the Sprint touring program. I would simultaneously expand the sanctioning aspect into the weekly local racing programs. First with sprint cars then move along through other forms such as the mini sprints and such all the while generating revenue and creating network of valuable resources.

Mission Impossible but much needed IMO to give the Sprint Car touring division the superiority to all other competitors series would be to somehow someway enforce strict rules geared toward cost that would require the same components that the dirt cars use with exception of tires and minimal miscellaneous in order to get the cars back on pavement so that both surfaces would be part of the chase for the championship title.

That's enough with fantasyland but just sayin...
Last edited by Joey Woods; 2/4/15 at 11:06 PM.

2 members like this post: jjones752, SWScaleChassis
2/5/15, 2:10 AM   #28
flagboy55

Joey, no offense to your wife, but I meet college educated people all the time that don't get a lot of things. That said, I don't get why a lot of folks want to throw usac under the bus. I'm not saying they don't have issues, but they have produced many of the most important and successful drivers of all time. Each class provides an important element, and if you can succeed at all of them, you pretty much prove you can get it done in anything. As I've said before, I will spend my hard earned money on a usac race before any other.

2 members like this post: dirt330, Joey Woods
2/5/15, 3:51 AM   #29
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Joey, no offense to your wife, but I meet college educated people all the time that don't get a lot of things. That said, I don't get why a lot of folks want to throw usac under the bus. I'm not saying they don't have issues, but they have produced many of the most important and successful drivers of all time. Each class provides an important element, and if you can succeed at all of them, you pretty much prove you can get it done in anything. As I've said before, I will spend my hard earned money on a usac race before any other.
I agree 100% from a race fans standpoint. Best racing for the money period. I'm just giving my opinion in response on what I feel it would have to happen in order to elevate the Sprint Car division into the same stage as WOO. It's a question that comes up frequently. For a fan that has a general knowledge of Sprint Car Racing a USAC show is truly a bargain.

I guess deep down I personally don't care if it ever grows any more in than it is currently. Of course I would like to see the non wing drivers and teams receive the credit and purses they truly deserve. But for those that are truly concerned with seeing that happen then big changes would have to happen. Very unpopular ones. But the fact is USAC is a club and in that aspect all is presumably well.
Last edited by Joey Woods; 2/5/15 at 3:57 AM.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
2/5/15, 9:14 AM   #30
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
WoO isn't one division, they have a late model division as well. However, I do feel USAC has it's hands in to many cookie jars. The whole Ignite thing, quarter midget divisions have never made sense to me.
"The hand in the cookie jar"......things that make you go hmmmm!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > non wing racing!