IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Question
12/15/14, 2:15 PM   #1
Chili Bowl Question
SprintcarZF

Hello I'm new to the whole chili bowl thing and was planning on making a trip for the last two nights of it. I don't have any general admission or seat tickets purchased. But just planned on buying a pit pass at the window. Will I have anywhere to sit to watch the races or is a reserved seat necessary.

12/15/14, 2:26 PM   #2
Re: Chili Bowl Question
kstudley57

It is all reserved seating, otherwise you can buy a pit pass and watch it in the pits on one of two jumbotrons. There are always scalpers selling tickets around the expo but come Fri and Sat it becomes pretty tricky to get a seat so shop early in the day on each day then upgrade your ticket to include a pit pass. It's cheap and the pits are worth the price of admission to see all the cars up close.

12/15/14, 2:46 PM   #3
SWScaleChassis

Isn't the seating on the backstretch open for pitpass buyers? I've only been once, and that's the way it was explained to me. Could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time!

-Justin

2 members like this post: badgerfan, John P Huss
12/15/14, 2:55 PM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWScaleChassis View Post
Isn't the seating on the backstretch open for pitpass buyers? I've only been once, and that's the way it was explained to me. Could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time!

-Justin
They are, but they're first-come, first-serve, seems like seat saving is frowned upon (understandably), and they're tucked between the building span supports so they're partly obstructed views...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

12/15/14, 3:12 PM   #5
kasey2020

The seating on the backstretch is not reserved, but isn't easy to get either. For Friday and Saturday, you will have to get there early and basically stay in your seat for the most part. Usually, your neighbor can save it for you if you need to go to the restroom or something like that, but that's about it. I've seen people try and do the blanket routine for Saturday and their blankets usually end up on the ground, under the bleachers, and their seats are gone. I highly recommend trying to purchase some reserved tickets somehow. It's just easier. Hope that helps...it's such a great experience!!

12/15/14, 3:17 PM   #6
kstudley57

the Backstretch seating is only from the end of the straight to where the pitramp is, it's small and you can't see much, plus it's one of the few seats in the house where you can get pounded with dirt when the guys bend it in during hots and the heats. Each competitor gets two tickets for these grandstands in their entry packet, although it's not enforced very much, it could be so I wouldn't bank on getting a seat unless a driver has given you a ticket out of their packet. My advice, pinch a few pennies from somewhere else in your trip and get a seat where you can watch the action and enjoy the show.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
12/15/14, 5:41 PM   #7
SprintcarZF

thanks for the info guys. I guess now its time for me to try to find a couple tickets for seats for the final two days

1/9/15, 6:52 AM   #8
Ratso

I am also a first timer to the Chili Bowl with a few a question.
1. Is the track on the east or west side of the Expo Center.
2. Is it hard to get a parking place?
3. I am seating in section DD row 35. Will the dust and fumes be bad up there? Also at the top do you freeze or burn up? Just wondering if I will need a jacket in there.

1/9/15, 11:36 AM   #9
dkc42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
I am also a first timer to the Chili Bowl with a few a question.
1. Is the track on the east or west side of the Expo Center.
2. Is it hard to get a parking place?
3. I am seating in section DD row 35. Will the dust and fumes be bad up there? Also at the top do you freeze or burn up? Just wondering if I will need a jacket in there.
The track is in the east end. However, I believe you have to come to the main front door in the west end or through the west end of the building to get to the stands.

Plenty of parking. Just might walk a ways.

Sitting on the top row as you are I would expect the fumes to be somewhat bad. They usually have free masks that they hand out at the entrance. I normally try to tough it out getting in and only wear a t-shirt. A t-shirt with a light jacket should be all you need most of the time. Some times when the west doors are opened to relieve fumes you will get a cool breeze through the end stands.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Question