IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Comments on Stewart/Ward Tragedy
8/11/14, 12:19 AM   #21
Re: Comments on Stewart/Ward Tragedy
BeerCloud

Trying to spin this to be Kevin Ward jr's fault is a severe lack of taste.
There is no excuse to what happened.

God Bless Kevin's family and God Speed Kevin Ward jr

2 members like this post: Osborn, SGreen
8/11/14, 2:11 AM   #22
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
People are saying Tony gunned the throttle that's the reason the car got sideways. But fellow sprintcar fans we all know what happens when you hit the brake on a sprintcar. Of course, it pitches sideways. Prayers to all involved and may the investigators have the wisdom to find the truth, good or bad.
Hitting the brake on a sprintcar pitches it sideways? Maybe so, but what about the sound we all heard of throttle increase before the impact?

8/11/14, 3:40 AM   #23
Blitzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
Hitting the brake on a sprintcar pitches it sideways? Maybe so, but what about the sound we all heard of throttle increase before the impact?
How does anyone know that was Stewarts engine rev? Could've been someone else's car between the camara & accident.. Just a thought..

2 members like this post: Midget 89, rdzsprint
8/11/14, 4:39 AM   #24
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
You may be right but how can you be sure? The camera and the fan filming was in the stands on the front stretch. The incident was across the infield coming out of turn 2 on a half mile race track with 20 race cars. How can anyone tell which car hit the throttle. As anyone who as any experience at a sprintcar race knows a lot of racers hit the throttle and gun the motor while running under yellow.
Last edited by Indy; 8/11/14 at 4:41 AM.

1 member likes this post: rdzsprint
8/11/14, 5:37 AM   #25
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Hitting a 160 lb object with the right side of a 1300 lb car will probably cause it to turn right and quite possibily upset the drivers arms and/or legs during that unexpected moment

2 members like this post: Drtchsr, schwarzracen27
8/11/14, 6:00 AM   #26
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I don't see anyone "blaming" Kevin Ward Jr., merely stating an obvious fact; if he had stayed in his car this wouldn't have happened. Speculating on whose engine revved or what Tony did or didn't do in the cockpit by people who were hundreds of miles away is likely to send this post down the same road as the first. Hopefully, in due time the only person who knows the truth will make the facts known. Until then, all of the conjecture is pointless.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

5 members like this post: bowbuild, captrat, Midget 89, Phylo82, rdzsprint
8/11/14, 6:34 AM   #27
Melmo

Well not trying to start anything but I've flagged several races in my life and been hit twice. The drivers that hit me was not trying to hit me at all it was just an accident!!! The deal was after throwing the yellow I jumped on the track to reroute them around the car that was dead on the track. When I asked the drivers what happened they said I just caught them off guard while they were looking at someone else or adjusting something in their car.
Thoughts and Prayers for Stewart and the Ward family!!!

8/11/14, 8:19 AM   #28
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I am in NO WAY TAKING SIDES . When I opened my business this morning my employees couldn't wait to talk sprint cars. None of 6 of them have ever even seen a sprint car race. They only know what they r because of me( pictures , toys things in my office). Their overwhelming consensus now that this is on their TV..... What was that guy doing running around on the track?

8/11/14, 8:28 AM   #29
oldfan49

How many times have we all seen the start of something just like this only to have a track worker or safety crew worker save a racer, a crew member, or a fan from their emotions often putting themselves in harms way and at times recieving a push or swing for their efforts?
Just another reason to thank the safety workers and track workers next time you are at the track.

2 members like this post: DAD, suade82
8/11/14, 8:35 AM   #30
DAD

Doing what Kevin did, jumping out of his car and looking for a confrontation with the driver of a race car still running around the race track under Yellow flag conditions (Probably 60-65 miles per hour) is a kin to standing on the side of I-65 and waving down cars and trucks as they go by.) Had he ever done anything like this before? Standing on a banked race track on the high side it would be very easy to miss judge your distance and step into a race car.Race drivers have ingrained into their brain to turn toward the obstruction and gas it to get around the obstruction. They do not have time to think but depend on their instincts when strapped into a race car. The accident appeared to have Kevin hitting the nurf bar and then Tony turned and goosed it to clear him.

This was a terrible accident that could have been avoided with just a little forethought. The accident between the two cars was a racing deal, The driver is supposed to drive for the car in front of him his concerns should not be with those behind him because they are supposed to allow him racing room. Had Tony had a mirror or a spotter one might blame him, I don't think he had either so in that case Kevin should have given him racing room, about 6 inches would have been enough.

Had the track had a rule in place about leaving your car and threatening another driver like they do for working on your car under yellow or leaving the track during the race this might also have never happened.

I woke up to hear Fox News accusing Tony of being responsible for the accident and then bring up the IOW to read the same thing, from most of the subscribers.

It was an accident!!!!! A terrible accident!!!! Now is not the time to bestow blame now is the time to pray. Isn't Tony the guy that somehow shows up to help other racers in need? Isn't Tony the guy that goes to race tracks to get back to his roots and at the same time help attendance at the race track he is racing at?

Tony races hard, would he be the same if he did not?

Honest Dad himself

6 members like this post: bowbuild, champcar50, jjones752, Lillyweld, Phylo82, racer65
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Comments on Stewart/Ward Tragedy