IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Quarter Midget starter car
8/5/14, 5:57 PM   #1
Quarter Midget starter car
Johnhunt

Race Count Last Year: 22

We're looking for a starter car for our daughter. I'm pretty well clueless on QM stuff, but since she's pretty tiny I'm guessing we need a smaller car. I've found a 76" American GT with a Honda 120. Does anyone have any insight to whether this is a decent chassis. By decent, I don't mean so much competitive as are parts available, etc. Thanks!

8/5/14, 10:41 PM   #2
smcpherson

My suggestion is go to the local track and find out who the local dealer reps are.
Where are you located?
Start with a used quarter midget, someone at the local track usually has a car they are looking to sell, and that way you make sure you child enjoys it before spending the big money.
Going with a car from someone who has a rep at the track is very helpful, especially when you need parts and have setup questions.

8/5/14, 10:57 PM   #3
TQ97

If you're in Indy, contact me at Mini_Indy_President@Yahoo.com

8/6/14, 10:17 AM   #4
Phylo82

Take my advice....don't buy anything until you go to the track you plan on running regularly and see what others are using there. There is nothing worse than being new to quarter midget racing and not being able to get help because no one at the track has any experience setting up the type of chassis you have.

Go to the track a couple of weekends.....see who has the fast cars and what they are, then make a decision.

FYI, we loved our Stanley cars, easy to set up and very fast!
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

8/6/14, 10:35 AM   #5
Johnhunt

Race Count Last Year: 22

Thanks, very helpful as I really hadn't thought about paying attention to what people run at a given track. We're pretty well right between Kokomo and Mini-Indy. We've been to Kokomo and will probably go check it out again this weekend. Definitely will buy a used no frills car to start with, knowing that she may only be interested for a year, or month!!

8/6/14, 11:00 AM   #6
Melmo

I'll have 2 cars for sale at end of season and will also be at Kokomo this weekend just look for Starla. We'll be there thursday running a few laps to get ready!!!

8/6/14, 2:09 PM   #7
JarrettFarms73

Ruts,

Have you taken her to one of the local clubs "Arrive and Drive" events?

I know Kokomo and Mini Indy both host them. It's a great tool to gauge interest/ fear w/ out buying into a car and all the pre-outing set up time. Hopefully you have and it led to this step.

Have fun and good luck wherever you run!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Quarter Midget starter car