IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > announcers
7/1/14, 9:42 AM   #31
Re: announcers
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I had the advantage of growing up hearing the two best short track announcers I've ever heard: Ken Squire and Chris Economaki. They talked (yelled?) during the races just to provide a background of excitement, knowing full well that their words weren't very intelligible (if at all).

For those of us with touring shows, sometimes it's hard to get the lineups announced before the engines start because the track's home announcer has so many "commercials" to get through, he doesn't give us the the mic until it's too late.

Since the midgets usually visited each track only once or twice a year, I always tried to give a good description of exactly what is a midget. At the Midget/Sprint Week races, I'd like to hear a short description of each of the other classes. I have no idea what are those other cars we see. And, there are probably non-regulars who would like to know what is a midget or sprint. It sure would be better than some of the silly stuff we hear. The worst at that stuff, by far, are those guys who do the Chili Bowl. After five nights, we all are really tired of them.

7/1/14, 12:48 PM   #32
captrat

I probably fall somewhere in the center on this, but I would like the following: 1. a good PA system, PAS has the best 2. Knowledgeable announcers who give driver background, etc. (although I feel far too much time is spent by some squeezing in all the detail about chassis, engine for each car/driver, particularly as they go out to time trial-seems much too rushed to get it all in: what I really want is driver name and time.) 3. If the PA can handle it some play by play is fun and can add excitement. Years ago Economaki at the K'ville Nationals was a master at this, later Jack Miller also did a great job. Good announcers need a decent PA, knowledge, and timing. I for one do not want total silence during a race and I think in particular we need announcers who add excitement and info for the casual/new fan. Far too often we as long time fans base our opinions on our expectations forgetting the person next to us may be a first timer. They should leave feeling excited, informed and entertained by the racing so hopefully they will return with another newbie.

7/1/14, 1:10 PM   #33
gtownplowboy

Pat Sullivan also writes a great column in Sprint Car and Midget magazine. Definitely knows his history of our sport..

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Midget 89
7/1/14, 1:17 PM   #34
Rpracing1

Johnny Gibson with the Outlaws one of the best announcers out there right now.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
7/1/14, 2:06 PM   #35
fourteen fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Johnny Gibson with the Outlaws one of the best announcers out there right now.
Yes he is.

Now if he would only turn down the music.

7/1/14, 2:12 PM   #36
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Honestly as an announcer, I dont think we should bombard the fans with constant talking. During an intermission, I usually go over our sponsor list again, and then let the fans have some much needed quiet time. I usually do giveaways in between races, and then a few more during intermission. During the races, at Brownstown, im blessed with a pretty good sound system, so the fans can actually hear the play by play. An announcer shouldnt be quiet while racing is going on. People have headsets that tune into the FM transmitter, and some fans (not all) do actually like to hear the play by play. Incase they are watching the lead battle, and then I announce something that happened back in the back, and they can turn their attention to it. I know my announcing style isnt everyones cup of tea, but thats just my inside look at my style and why I do what I do.

7/1/14, 3:28 PM   #37
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th turn fan View Post
Brad ???? He also announces @ Bloomington on Fridays...Very interesting to listen to...
He think remembers facts & tidbits from EVERY race he has attended.
He does know when to talk & when not to...
I've always been impressed his silence during red flag situations until news of driver is confirmed.
I believe Brad is the best at what he does. No nonsense or silliness (Attn: USAC/TSS). No frenetic blathering. A strong and clear voice Takes advantage of quiet time on the track to tell fans what they need/want to know and can also make himself heard when the cars are running. Very good at getting the team's sponsor names out to the fans. Having a good PA is essential and both LPS and B'town seem to have decent equipment.

7/1/14, 6:18 PM   #38
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
...i think in particular we need announcers who add excitement and info for the casual/new fan. Far too often we as long time fans base our opinions on our expectations forgetting the person next to us may be a first timer. They should leave feeling excited, informed and entertained by the racing so hopefully they will return with another newbie.

7/1/14, 7:37 PM   #39
short track scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Honestly as an announcer, I dont think we should bombard the fans with constant talking. During an intermission, I usually go over our sponsor list again, and then let the fans have some much needed quiet time. I usually do giveaways in between races, and then a few more during intermission. During the races, at Brownstown, im blessed with a pretty good sound system, so the fans can actually hear the play by play. An announcer shouldnt be quiet while racing is going on. People have headsets that tune into the FM transmitter, and some fans (not all) do actually like to hear the play by play. Incase they are watching the lead battle, and then I announce something that happened back in the back, and they can turn their attention to it. I know my announcing style isnt everyones cup of tea, but thats just my inside look at my style and why I do what I do.
Chris has a lot of good points.
It's hard to please everyone. One of the announcer's top priorities is to keep the promoter happy. The guy putting the cash (or check, or bag of popcorn) in my hand has my attention because the paying fan has his attention. If the promoter wants to hear traffic on the PA you're going to hear traffic on the PA. The good announcer has the ability to keep the fan engaged in the event despite any of many delays.

I remember in the 90s being at the Speedrome and first hearing Kevin (Stiles?) recap heat race action. I thought that was pretty cool. Of course I had just seen it, but hearing how everyone got their finishing positions was neat.

1 member likes this post: Task Force
7/2/14, 8:58 AM   #40
Deansnuts

Someone we left out Is Bobby Gerold.I think he is rite upthere with the best......

1 member likes this post: Bobv
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > announcers