IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > slide jobs at the burg
6/15/14, 6:34 PM   #1
slide jobs at the burg
johnnythunderhead
Banned

thanks to a fast and racey track and the many excellent pilots on hand, there were many a breathtaking slide job to behold last nite at the burg in both midgets and sprintcars, I was afraid the lady sitting beside me was going into cardiac arrest several times when the rockets came within inches of each other. in most instances the slidejobee would lift and come under and allow the slidejobber to complete his slidejob and then proceed to cross under and re-take the lead. I can only think of 2 of them that went really arwy, the first of which was performed by landon simon who threw a wild one trying to over take a couple of spots in one felled swoop between turns 1 and 2, he ended up sliding directly into the yellow car (I'm thinking it was arron farney) the second one was the one rico threw at and directly into alex bright. in both cases there was nothing much the slidejobee could have done to avoid contact. for some reason I did not feel the one bright threw at pickens was all that wrong. but at any rate its all part of good hard racing and in some cases getting carried away in the spur of a moment, it happens to the best of em some times!
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 6/15/14 at 9:32 PM.

6/15/14, 7:26 PM   #2
wideopen24

My "slide job" was an attemp to re gain positions after being pushed to the wall by the pole sitter at the start that in any other case would have been called back. I lifted, lost positions but saved a crash. The 25 and 26 car did not enter the corner the same way twice...I choose to slide the 26 car & coming out of 2 in the blinding sun I was clear as far as I could tell...(hind sight is 20/20). You can't follow cars just because the race track has one racing groove. No matter how you view the situation sprintcars have 2 pedals and a steering wheel... Justin Owen could have crossed me up but he didn't... RR to LF was the result. Just a lap later the "People's Champ" RR'ed my nerf bar in the same corner... No harm... No foul. If you watched the feature you saw dozens of huge sliders, many of which would have resulted much worse but better driving prevailed and cross overs where made.

With that said...

I offered Justin Owen a front axle and componets last night to fix his hurt racecar. I am a 24 year old owner/driver... I know how this sport works and I know the struggle to keep your head above water in this lossing game.

-Landon
Last edited by wideopen24; 6/15/14 at 9:53 PM.

6/15/14, 9:30 PM   #3
Re: slide jobs at the burg
johnnythunderhead
Banned

I understand that things happen very quick out there on the track in the heat of passion and that its most certainly always a lot easier to be an armchair quarterback from the bleachers, certainly no offense intended toward you or toward rico

2 members like this post: mc/rider, Photochick
6/15/14, 9:41 PM   #4
on_the_edge

Well there ladies and gents you have proof of a class act. From the video it looked like Landon had him cleared and the guy chose not to lift and that's the result you have. The burg is known for big sliders much like eldora style and guys have to check up and cross over which will usually give them the advantage when the cushion is up on the wall. But back to what Landon did by offering the guy parts after the incident you don't find guys to do things like that often. Good move and keep running hard.

6/15/14, 10:10 PM   #5
DAD

On

The thing I have noticed in racing is, that act would be considered the "norm" as opposed to the "exception" back in the pits. No body want to beat a fellow racer because their car was broke and in the pits, they want to beat them on the race track. Darnded bunch of people I have ever ran across.

Them fights they talk about are usually started by other folks in the pits who aren't really associated with the racers. When left to the drivers, they may sometimes hold a grudge and at other times might not give as much as they would normally, but most of them know that in racing Stuff does sometimes happen.

I have often seen drivers rush up to the offended driver and offer apologies right after the race is over for a stupid brain fart. Another thing to think about most deals on the race tracks aren't thought about, race drivers don't have time to think most of those action are instinct and reaction developed with seat time>seat time>seat time.

Maybe if we played up this stuff a little more like Nascar does we might entice more of that type fan to the races that enjoy that kind of racing action, and a buck is a buck.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/15/14 at 10:13 PM.

1 member likes this post: johnnythunderhead
6/15/14, 10:40 PM   #6
wideopen24

In my opinion anything that happens on the race track should be handled by the drivers in the pits. Whatever that may entail its better to work it out or even fight it out man to man then with machines that cost a fortune. In my case I spotted Justin Owen returning a borrowed front end to Mark Hery's pit and approached him. We talked it out and because of the way Justin handled the situation I offered to fix his racecar. The Owen's are good people and like everyone else put everything they have into fielding a racecar. I respect that. Justin is coming up this week to pick up parts from my shop and fix his #26.

I appreciate those that understand these things happen. Drivers have a split second to react and sometimes it goes wrong.

For those that think otherwise... Strap in... We can all critique your B main performance

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > slide jobs at the burg