IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night Before The 500
5/28/14, 1:28 PM   #71
Re: Night Before The 500
Pat O'Connor Fan

Brad Kuhn's post (#68) ranks among the top 3 or 4 I have ever seen on this site. And that goes back to the old days of USACfans.com (I know some of the "experts" on here don't even know about that site and the a-hole way it had a forced name change).

It is truly refreshing to hear the real nitty-gritty from one of the been there, done that people.

5/28/14, 2:35 PM   #72
used to be

Wow , what a read this has been. Was planning a trip to midget week in June but now I'm wondering will there be enough cars to make the trip from Texas worth it.

5/28/14, 2:51 PM   #73
kstudley57

Don't miss midget week "used to be", there will be plenty of cars (30+) and it's also a chance to get to see a local sprint car show each night because during midget week the tracks run their weekly sprint programs. Bang for the buck, it's almost better than sprint week for someone who likes midgets and open wheel racing in general.

5/28/14, 3:01 PM   #74
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by used to be View Post
Wow , what a read this has been. Was planning a trip to midget week in June but now I'm wondering will there be enough cars to make the trip from Texas worth it.
I woudn't worry about Midget Week, Its backed up by IL midget week and some other races. Average has been about 35 with over 40 a few times and over 50 a couple.

Come on up, the water is fine for that "For now"

1 member likes this post: rockstar5
5/28/14, 6:51 PM   #75
streetglider

Shamrock makes some valid points & some interesting questions in post # 60.... I too am interested in seeing responses from people/racers in the know. It seems that weekly shows are doing just fine in this wonderful state. If the promoters stuck together I don't know why they couldn't pull off Sprint Week without USAC sanctioning. therefore avoiding the sanction fees associated with USAC. Maybe they could even add the money savings into the purse. Just food for thought..........

1 member likes this post: team3521
5/28/14, 7:09 PM   #76
Midget4

If you were at IRP and were impressed with what the 41 of Austin Prock showed, or Like the talent of Kyle O'Gara, This weekend the STARS series opens up, and those two are exciting to watch at Grundy

3 members like this post: GasIt4, sprintcar39, Task Force
5/28/14, 7:32 PM   #77
Charles Nungester

Indiana Sprint week is far better off With USAC than it was without it. The purses are double or more than what most shows were and third on down paid squat. So much so that many racers just quit running it.

USAC's deal isn't a bad deal and promoters know the cost going in Think the sanction fee and purse is something like 27 grand. You get three thou in the gate and theres 48grand for the track over purse and sanction. Even if you only get 2000 fans you've almost doubled the cost of the class on the front gate.

Compare that to a regular show pulling 1000 fans paying 13 bucks is only 13 grand add the back gate and its barely breaking even

I for one do not wish to see Sprint week without USAC again. I would however like to see a couple of higher to win purses on a couple nights, Expecially the final night where only a couple are there to win the sprint week championship. It would draw more for the Win. 7500-10g?

Heres a page on IOW about the history of ISW.
https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/indianasprintweek.php

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
5/28/14, 7:46 PM   #78
streetglider

Charles I respectfully disagree. I firmly believe the attendance would be sustained with or without the USAC sanction. Indiana Sprint Week draws fans from many surrounding states to see good ole fashioned wheel to wheel racing , NOT because of the sanctioning organization. Kokomo gets many OUT of STATE fans on a weekly basis & they are even running on Sunday nights. Imagine that 27k fee, which the promoter would be saving, being added to the purse. Granted this would probably only work if USAC didn't schedule against it for the week. Also we might see some west coast guys that were fed up with USAC start coming back like they did years ago

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Dblchkrs, mowerman, rockstar5, team3521
5/28/14, 7:55 PM   #79
monkeyboy

7500 10grand? That's a big payout? Usac doesn't even have a "crown jewel" paying race. To borrow a late model term. Look at what other "national"series pay.

1 member likes this post: dirtyd6305
5/28/14, 8:00 PM   #80
Charles Nungester

Like I said, It ran for ten years before usac and I can tell you now the crowds are triple what they were without. Car Counts went insane when USAC came on but there was some TV and they had True Value and loctite fast timer awardsthat came with plaques of the driver and car etc.

Only one track has run Sprint Week every year. Terre Haute wasn't ever involved before USAC and several years only had three tracks participate. Its been very solid since USAC came on with 7 races in nine nights with only a couple tracks coming and going mainly due to a promoter who punched a official.

Car counts have remained pretty high. Attendance has tripled. Some of us have been going since the beginning. Listened to Hewitt one night after finishing third at Twin Cities saying it didn't pay him to drive down there He was going on and on $350 thats it and I split that?.

The Kiss Series is a promoter deal. Its never really grown and never carried more than about 8 guys that run the whole thing. Some shows get decent car counts but thats because usually it counts for track points and many locals at that track feel they have a shot to win a slightly increased purse.

I don't know why you'd like to get rid of USAC? To get back at Kevin Miller? Its a good thing for the tracks. Don't ruin a good thing.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/28/14 at 8:05 PM.

1 member likes this post: Kellen Conover
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Night Before The 500