IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DAVE BOOS (Offline)
  #1 3/11/14 6:45 PM
What are you guys using for a throttle cable connecting to 08 R1 with guhl injection down to the pedal? Any particular part # that will do the trick? Thanks Dave
DAD (Offline)
  #2 3/11/14 9:08 PM
Dave

Go out and find a nice independent cycle parts shop. They will have drawers and drawers of cables for all kind of cycles and handlebar configurations. Find one that matches your injectors and make the peddle end fit the other end. If I were you I would also consider a bell crank so you can adjust your throttle travel, the longer the travel the better driver you will be. While you are at it buy a spare and look for clutch cables also This guy should become your friend. I have even gotten some good deals on chain from my guy.

You might try my buds over at SpeedPartz also. They are good guys.

Honest Dad himself
jjones752 (Offline)
  #3 3/11/14 9:33 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Dave

Go out and find a nice independent cycle parts shop. They will have drawers and drawers of cables for all kind of cycles and handlebar configurations. Find one that matches your injectors and make the peddle end fit the other end. If I were you I would also consider a bell crank so you can adjust your throttle travel, the longer the travel the better driver you will be. While you are at it buy a spare and look for clutch cables also This guy should become your friend. I have even gotten some good deals on chain from my guy.

You might try my buds over at SpeedPartz also. They are good guys.

Honest Dad himself
Larry Faas at Speedpartz doesn't carry cables but his Throttle Jockey is the trick setup for connecting everything together; multiple holes in the crank arms for fine-tuning the ratio as Dad suggested. I got my cable at a cycle salvage place here in Indy, but beware - the mountains of parts bins can be overwhelming and you may run into some "characters" that could be trying out for an episode of American Pickers...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
racer8432955 (Offline)
  #4 3/13/14 10:34 PM
Dave,
I have the same motor (except its got a giant hole in the crankcase...) and I used a generic throttle cable from BMI Kart Supply. I think its off one of those dune buggy type karts. The part number is 03185 (48" Throttle / brake cable). it had the correct barrel to fit stock Yamaha F.I. unit.
At the pedal end I made a aluminum swivel block with a set screw to hold the cable. I also backed it up with another cable-thru clamp thing. I never had a problem with it. I had to cut about 3" off the end of the cable jacket (I use a dremel like its a pipe cutter, go slowly around) and attach the yamaha threaded body with nuts fitting to whatever mount you have (say on the upper part of the motor plate).
You can also buy whatever cable parts your heart desires from Flanders Cycle cable supply (http://www.flandersco.com/FlanCableSearch.html). They have everything including tool to make them. I once had a talented guy (not me) zap a barrel end on with a tig welder for a custom bike creation. You just got to get creative. I think Motion Pro will also make you a custom cable, but last time I checked on a bike creation I had going they were very pricey...

Also, to keep the end of the cable from fraying, you can buy those metal ends that always fall off, or put on a latex / nitrile disposable glove, put some good superglue inbetween your thumb and index finger, and wet down / stroke the last 1/2" of the cable until the glue just starts to set. This always keeps cables from fraying for me.

What Dad said about finding a good independent (not Yamaha big box store) is spot on. That should get most if not all the way their as well.
DAVE BOOS (Offline)
  #5 3/13/14 11:47 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I did end up finding a bike wrecking yard that also makes custom cables so I gave them all my dimensions and what ends I wanted on it and they built me one that works perfect. (STEELES BIKE SALVAGE) also it was pretty cheap at $25.00. Thanks again for help. Dave