IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AMA supercross racing plus more?
3/2/14, 1:13 PM   #1
AMA supercross racing plus more?
Quantrill

As I watch these races on most Sat. nights while its cold and before our season starts I cant help but wonder,, since all that dirt has already been brought in to these stadiums why not use that next day to run a chilli bowl style event in some of them? Surely after the Sat. nights show a crew could knock that track down and make a circle track out of it??

2 members like this post: nathans1012, racefan20
3/2/14, 1:20 PM   #2
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
As I watch these races on most Sat. nights while its cold and before our season starts I cant help but wonder,, since all that dirt has already been brought in to these stadiums why not use that next day to run a chilli bowl style event in some of them? Surely after the Sat. nights show a crew could knock that track down and make a circle track out of it??
Couldn't imagine the cost it would take to rent a facility like Lucas oil stadium way out of the budget of most short track racing series I would think.

3/2/14, 1:24 PM   #3
Re: AMA supercross racing plus more?
badcoupe

I've often wondered the same but the dust from our type cars would make for a mess all over, can't have that in a new stadium lol. I'd say with rental fees it wouldn't be feasible, maybe Tony B could shed some light on this, will we ever see open wheel racing of any sort at lucas oil?

3/2/14, 1:46 PM   #4
Jonr

Time and Money solve all issues. However, I wonder if the safety concerns would be met. When you watch the time lapse pictures of them making the Chili bowl, the first thing that they do is set up the outside walls and catch fences. Then they start working on the dirt.

3/2/14, 2:33 PM   #5
racephoto1

I've been told more than once clean up is expensive. They ran the PRI cart race once, at Conseco, or whatever it is now. The biggest complaint from them I was told , was the fume smell in the upholstery. They weren't too keen on running another one.

3/2/14, 3:35 PM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
Mark

Do a little research> Find out who is promoting the race and contact them..A few years ago We got in with a guy that did monster trucks here in louisville. He let us put on races as filler for his shows. I talked with him about cost. Freedom hall here in louisville was about $7000.00 A NIGHT. It cost about $5000.00 to haul in and put in the track. The big problem is finding a night after his show that wasn't booked already. They would have to move the dirt out and set up a basketball court or hockey rink for the next night. His big fear is that we would get over the catch fence and hit one of their million dollar roll away bleachers.

It is dooable, we got a guy in DuQuoin who wants to do it for us right now.
but if we don't show support it will evaporate right before our eyes. promoters like to turn a profit and usually a loss will send them looking for other things to promote.

Had rotator cuff operation and I am even worse with one finger.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/2/14 at 5:10 PM.

3/2/14, 3:51 PM   #7
PIT CART

Back in the day they ran amateur mx on Sunday after the super cross. I think Mike Kidd was the promoter. I never raced it but helped a guy that did, we had to pit outside and it was pretty cold.

3/2/14, 6:52 PM   #8
njtraveler

For one, I don't think the dirt that is used for SX has enough clay content and is too loamy to be utilized for our type of racing. The existing dirt could be used for the base structure and layout of banking but I think it would then have to be capped with 10-18" of a heavier clay. That would also cut any dust potential as there is virtually none at the Chili Bowl. Just one of the many barriers besides money that would prevent this dream that many of us have.

3/2/14, 8:03 PM   #9
Cadpro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Mark

Do a little research> Find out who is promoting the race and contact them..A few years ago We got in with a guy that did monster trucks here in louisville. He let us put on races as filler for his shows. I talked with him about cost. Freedom hall here in louisville was about $7000.00 A NIGHT. It cost about $5000.00 to haul in and put in the track. The big problem is finding a night after his show that wasn't booked already. They would have to move the dirt out and set up a basketball court or hockey rink for the next night. His big fear is that we would get over the catch fence and hit one of their million dollar roll away bleachers.

It is dooable, we got a guy in DuQuoin who wants to do it for us right now.
but if we don't show support it will evaporate right before our eyes. promoters like to turn a profit and usually a loss will send them looking for other things to promote.

Had rotator cuff operation and I am even worse with one finger.

Honest Dad himself

Feld Entertainment is the promoter of AMA Supercross and here's a link to the 30 page marketing plan for Monster Energy Supercross.

http://anyafrans.files.wordpress.com...eting-plan.pdf

Maybe, if someone could put together a marketing plan that made as much sense, someone at Feld might read it...

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/2/14, 9:56 PM   #10
DAD

Cad

That was a $100,000.00 research paper to secure a multi million dollar sponsorship deal. The big thing that i got out of it was that the last few years have been down for them also.

We probably need to start out a little less ambitious, at least till we land a sponsorship deal.

Did I mention that Steve Nace promotions also promotes AMA flat track races around here and down in Florida. In fact i went to his website and noticed that "The Bullring" race track is one of his sponsors. Wayne???

http://www.stevenaceracing.com/Mini%20Sprints.htm MINI-LIGHTNING SPRINTS

http://www.stevenaceracing.com/mcatv.html THE BULLRING

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/2/14 at 10:18 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AMA supercross racing plus more?