IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MMSA season preview !
2/21/14, 5:38 PM   #21
TFortune39

Schedule looks great...can't wait for the season to start

2/22/14, 11:57 AM   #22
Bear10

Dad,
Only thing I disagree is when u say a wing car is easier to drive. They both have there different styles but as far as being "easier" no! If you bobble with a wing on as competitive as these cars all five guys go by you and you have no chance in a heat race to gain it back or you have to race your butt off to get there.. Without the wing your chances of regaining your spots back after a bobble is much greater! So as far as easier and wings being a learning class I don't agree with that... But hey just oppinions and it's all fun and I'm glad there is diversity and honestly maybe just make it 50/50

2/22/14, 12:11 PM   #23
Re: MMSA season preview !
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear10 View Post
Dad,
Only thing I disagree is when u say a wing car is easier to drive. They both have there different styles but as far as being "easier" no! If you bobble with a wing on as competitive as these cars all five guys go by you and you have no chance in a heat race to gain it back or you have to race your butt off to get there.. Without the wing your chances of regaining your spots back after a bobble is much greater! So as far as easier and wings being a learning class I don't agree with that... But hey just oppinions and it's all fun and I'm glad there is diversity and honestly maybe just make it 50/50
Bear

The driver with the fewest mistakes generally wins the race and in a 10 or 20 lap race one mistake is the difference between Hero and Zero.

There is also a big difference between dirt and pavement racing. Old saying was "you can take the driver out of the dirt but you can't take the dirt out of the driver".

All racing requires different styles of driving and very seldom do we see one driver that can excel in all forms of racing.

When it's my kid out there racing that old crush proof box over his head still gives me just a little more piece of mind.

Honest Dad himself

2/22/14, 12:22 PM   #24
treecitytornado

The first Non-Wing race I ever ran was at Sullivan in a 600 Mini-Sprint in 1997. It was a lot of fun, even though we didn't have the car near tight enough. Still ran Top 5 and battled with my ole buddy, Brad Kuhn, for much of the feature.

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/22/14, 12:49 PM   #25
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
The first Non-Wing race I ever ran was at Sullivan in a 600 Mini-Sprint in 1997. It was a lot of fun, even though we didn't have the car near tight enough. Still ran Top 5 and battled with my ole buddy, Brad Kuhn, for much of the feature.
Tree

Are you saying Brad used to race mini sprints back in the day? I guess they might be a pretty good place to start after all.

Honest Dad himself

2/23/14, 8:37 PM   #26
Bradleyracing86

Working on that TBA.

2/23/14, 9:35 PM   #27
treecitytornado

You know that, Bill, lol! Yes we had a good time back then and I learned a lot! Dane Carter ran against us some, as well as Boston Reid.

2/23/14, 9:47 PM   #28
DAD

I count like 25 or 26 races so far. We will usually loose 4 or 5 races to weather. That leaves us with about 20 races for the season. The reason for a points championship in racing is to get the best turn out of racers possible for each race. With so many races penned in already would it be smart to let the racers drop their worse 1 or 2 races from counting into the points championship. I like to call the championship the perfect attendance award.

Many things happen in the summer time like weddings, vacations, graduations ect. By giving the racers a grace race or two, would that not actually help with car counts? It has always been the case that if a racer missed a race they would take the attitude what the heck ain't no sense trying to make any more races because I'm already out of the chase.

There are very few professional racers amongst us. We all have obligations that come before racing.

Do yo think that if you could be given a race or two to drop from your points chase, would that make you more or less likley to try to make more races in the chase for the points championship? I realize that we have a few races this season that are going to be a long haul for many of us, maybe they should be worth a few more points to try to get a better count for them.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/23/14 at 9:52 PM.

3 members like this post: bowbuild, cmiracingvids, Racer_dude35
2/24/14, 10:42 AM   #29
TQ29m

Good luck selling that DAD, but that's what we had to do in SIRA, finally, to keep our car count up, it was a hard sell, but when the folks finally figured it out, it became a std of the organization, we used 2/3 I think, and in the long run, it really made things flow better, people don't realize that when they get caught up in the points racing, how pressurized they get, but I tried for years to sell it to the TQ's, and had no luck at all, not all, but most, wanted every race to count, good or bad, not understanding the bad one's only counted as SSFF, a long pull for nothing, but, some don't understand, and it seems to be getting worse. Good luck! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/24/14, 10:56 AM   #30
TFortune39

I like the idea of this DAD but I think if you do too many races that you can drop it will hurt your car count on the races that are a long haul for most people. I think if you just dropped 1 race it would be beneficial. Everybody has bad nights but you can't take points away from the guys that are there every week to support the series. JMO

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MMSA season preview !