IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > side bars
2/17/14, 8:41 PM   #11
buck2

Mark the hole accurately then touch the spot you are drilling with a grinder. This will cut through the surface hardening that occurs when the nerfs/bumpers are polished. Any good bit will work. I discovered this trick once I figured out that the second hole, drilled from the inside of the tube was much easier than the first

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/17/14, 9:05 PM   #12
Spindler31

Pilot point, DeWalt 3/16 cobalt works extremely well on stainless nerf bars. Pilot point is the key.

2/17/14, 11:16 PM   #13
Re: side bars
Bad Dad 54

My son told me about an oil like wax, as you drill the wax melts & lubes the bit

2/19/14, 11:01 AM   #14
Re: side bars
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
My son told me about an oil like wax, as you drill the wax melts & lubes the bit
Spindler

I left out my most important tool the "Drill Doctor". In my younger days when my eyes would focus I could sharpen a drill bit by hand and get good results. Now I would be lost without the old "Drill Doctor". I went to the DeWalt add and it said up to 3/8" they simply use a split point drill, which can be ground on the "Drill Doctor". This type point more or less makes the drill act like a pilot drill. The larger bits actually have a pilot drill ground on the tip of the bit and would work great until you needed to sharpen it, then you would be SOL.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/19/14 at 12:22 PM.

1 member likes this post: Lewis1585
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > side bars