IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
TSN Motorsports (Offline)
  #1 1/31/14 1:28 PM
Just looking for everyone's opinions on the Impact Necksgen and the Impact Rev head and neck restraints. Thinking of choosing between the two. Pro's and Con's of each. Will be for running a dirt mod.

Or is there something better out there for both front and side impact.

Thanks

RBJ
KRJoyce1 (Offline)
  #2 1/31/14 1:53 PM
RBJ,
If you do a search on you tube for the Necksgen Rev Test, you will see a video showing their own test's done at CAPE labs in Indy. Notice the head location and movement during the video. If you also search Hans Device Test you will see another test done at the Cape Labs during the IMIS show in Indy in Dec. 2012. Note the head movement in that video.

I will let you and others make a choice based on each of the test videos. However, I will say that ALL 38.1 Head and Neck restraints are rated for frontal and up to 45 deg angles. Anything beyond that is not covered by any of them. For REAL side protection you need a full containment head suround seat. This along with a 38.1 Head and Neck Restraint is your best option.
fasster23 (Offline)
  #3 1/31/14 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by KRJoyce1:
RBJ,
If you do a search on you tube for the Necksgen Rev Test, you will see a video showing their own test's done at CAPE labs in Indy. Notice the head location and movement during the video. If you also search Hans Device Test you will see another test done at the Cape Labs during the IMIS show in Indy in Dec. 2012. Note the head movement in that video.

I will let you and others make a choice based on each of the test videos. However, I will say that ALL 38.1 Head and Neck restraints are rated for frontal and up to 45 deg angles. Anything beyond that is not covered by any of them. For REAL side protection you need a full containment head suround seat. This along with a 38.1 Head and Neck Restraint is your best option.
Well stated good honest info. I don't know the finer details of the different head restraint devices but I hear how some talk about certain devices being better than the Hans and others in side impacts but as you stated anything beyond 45 degrees does not factor into the rating. I would be interested in how the systems with sliding tethers like an option on the Hans is effected differently than fixed tethers in impacts not straight on.
KRJoyce1 (Offline)
  #4 1/31/14 10:28 PM
Good Question. The sliding tethers have shown that they equalize and provide lower rotation loads than the old fixed style tethers used originally. With the old fixed tether if your head was turned during an impact one tether would be tight while the other side had slack. With the slider both sides will see tension and then will center the head more gradually.
coondog (Offline)
  #5 2/2/14 9:23 AM
I have been wearing a Necksgen for a year now and love it. I have not raced with a Rev but had 4 guys at Chili Bowl try one on in the car, one raced with it. They all liked it very much. Yes. I work for Impact so my opinion is probably biased. Lol. But I've also worn both in race cars. I even said 5 or 6 years ago that I didn't feel the Hans is what we as dirt racers should be wearing but it was the best alternative at that time. I am friends with Ken and have the upmost respect for him and what he does in the safety industry. So I am not here to get into a debate or disagree with anything he says. I can tell you that the tethering system on the Rev is patented and is the reason it does not need the yoke on the chest. There are safety advantages to the collarbone and chest area with this. The side impact test results far exceeds that of a Hans. The devices were designed with side impact protection in mind as much as frontal protection. I would agree that a full containment seat is optimum for side protection but not everyone has a full containment seat. If you have any specific questions about them, feel free to e mail me at jcoons@impactraceproducts.com
coondog (Offline)
  #6 2/2/14 9:42 AM
Also wanted to add that I watched the videos. I find it interesting how far the helmet is away from the Hans and that there is no slack in the tethers before impact. I have not been to a test so I don't know what this means but just an observation.
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #7 2/2/14 6:37 PM
Why doesn't any one turn the sled 90 degree's from straight & test side impacts ?
Adams44 (Offline)
  #8 2/5/14 11:42 AM
Can you even buy the impact Necksgen anymore? If so is it still SFI approved?