IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steve Kinser to retire at the end of the 2014 season.
12/12/13, 4:27 PM   #21
Re: Steve Kinser to retire at the end of the 2014 season.
bigq11

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmaniac View Post
MY greatest memory of watching him was at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. He was a 1/2 lap behind Sammy and didn't gain an inch the entire race. On the last lap going into 3 (hitting the cushion which you don't do there) pass Sammy for the win.
If I remember correctly, and that is a big if, Steve passed Sammy and Mark both as well as the lapped car of Ed Lynch on that last lap. Also remember Sammy crying about no lay over for Ed Lynch when he caught him with just a few laps to go. Also the display of real sportsmanship by his crew on the front stretch after the race.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, KENDALLRACING, nathans1012
12/12/13, 4:58 PM   #22
KENDALLRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
A little "shout out" to Karl Kinser might be in order as well. I'm sure he taught Steve so much and he gave Steve the best ride in the business for years. Scott Gerkin was tutored by Karl as well and helped Steve continue to win. I hope Steve, and Sammy as well, can both run up front a lot this year and race the hell out of each other a few more times----for the win.

Karl is truly worth a massive congratulations also.
I spent two days at Karls last week, What a fantastic man.
He has not changed a bit over the past 30 years.
Best wishes to Steve a great thank you to Karl.
Lyndon Kendall.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
12/12/13, 5:53 PM   #23
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Retiring to be a hornet regular in Bloomington

3 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012, ronmil
12/12/13, 6:41 PM   #24
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
If memory serves me , I think he has run it before.
He drove the number 6 V6 for Ralph one year and got beat by that famous "Tulsa Flue bug".

One thing to remember. "It ain't over until the fat lady sings"

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012
12/12/13, 7:27 PM   #25
Racer_dude35

Steve I watched your dad thought he was the best then you came along great job and have fun this last year good luck

3 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012, speed bump
12/12/13, 9:00 PM   #26
5JMOFFATTFAN!

I have a recording on DVD of them at the Indiana state fairgrounds and the one I have Steve leads and Sammy running 2nd .... Going into 3 of last lap Steve lapped Sammy

4 members like this post: jim goerge, monkeyboy, nathans1012, speed bump
12/12/13, 9:05 PM   #27
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigq11 View Post
If I remember correctly, and that is a big if, Steve passed Sammy and Mark both as well as the lapped car of Ed Lynch on that last lap. Also remember Sammy crying about no lay over for Ed Lynch when he caught him with just a few laps to go. Also the display of real sportsmanship by his crew on the front stretch after the race.
. That's the way I remember it also. If I remember correctly Sammy thought it was Lynch that passed him and he pulled into victory lane thinking he had won. Yeah Sammy is a REAL clASS act !!!!

3 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012, Onlydirt
12/12/13, 9:55 PM   #28
FrankR63

Who’s gonna fill their shoes?”

I have been lucky to live at a time when some of the all time greats raced across this country.

Opperman, Bettenhousen, Ponho, Hewitt, Haudy, Doug, Sammy, and the undisputed KING, Steve Kinser. I have spend so many quality hours with my family and friends watching these and many, many more greats race that I consider Sprint Car racing more of a blessing than anything else.

Back in the day when Steve was unstoppable I could just not wait until he hit lapped traffic, the man was one with the machine. I have seen him cut across the back of a car so close at 120+MPH that it took my breath away. Even seen MR Kinser race when he is pissed? That is worth the 500 mile drive in itself.

We have all wondered when this day would come and we have all dreaded it. No one has had the career and longevity that MR Kinser has. You go to see the WoO, you go to see MR Kinser. When was the last time he wasn’t there? The NASCAR stint, the few “strikes” , but year in and year out the WoO & Steve Kinser were one.
I try not to be one of the “ good ole days” types, but my god how do I not do that in this case? How strange, and frankly disappointing will it be when the # 11 is not on the bill?
I will always be a sprint Car fan, but after MR Kinser hangs it up it will never be the same.
I have often wondered how it will be for him when he steps back. He has been on the road racing for so long it will be quite a change. I wish him the best & I thank him for all the pure joy and excitement he has brought to me and hundreds of thousands if not millions of people he has performed in front of.
LONG LIVE THE KING!

12/13/13, 12:59 AM   #29
Flatrightrear

Can you even imagine how many t-shirts Kinser will sell along with all the other stuff they'll have for sale next year. He might need two trailors at the races.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012
12/13/13, 8:40 AM   #30
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
Can you even imagine how many t-shirts Kinser will sell along with all the other stuff they'll have for sale next year. He might need two trailors at the races.
That's what I've been thinking... the King farewell tour t-shirts? Going to sell a ton of them

3 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012, racing2bwithu2
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Steve Kinser to retire at the end of the 2014 season.