IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tulsa Shootout Rules 1200cc's
11/22/13, 3:02 PM   #1
Tulsa Shootout Rules 1200cc's
cws9

I found a couple of the rules interesting.

1200 cc Mini Sprints
Drivers must be a minimum of 13 years of age.
Roll Cage/Chassis:

Roll Cage minimum size 1 ¼”, .095 4130 Chromoly Tubing. The front section of the cage shall be no further back than the steering wheel. Roll cage shall have sufficient fore and aft bracing, and strength to support the weight of the car and driver in case of an upset. Cage shall have gussets at the intersecting bars to the uprights. Bends must have at least 3 inch radius. No square or pointed corners allowed. Roll cage must be a minimum of 3 in. above the driver’s helmet.

Wheelbase shall be 64” to 74”.

Must be Chain Drive.

Chain guards mandatory. It must shield Driver from chain.

Must have sprint car style hood, tail and have the appearance of an open wheeled dirt sprint car. No modified styles or radical offsets.

Motor not to be offset more than 6” from chassis centerline. (No sidewinders)

All cars to be equipped with either a steering gear or rack and pinion.

A firewall between engine and driver is required.

Tires/Wheels:

Tire Rule: Right rear must be a Hoosier RD15, D15, SP2, SP3 or Ecotech.

13” wheels only.

Engine:

Only reciprocating piston engines allowed. No Turbo charging, supercharging or rotary engines allowed. Approved Lighting Sprint car engine is described as a production engine of which at least 100 engines of identical design and assembly have been manufactured and made available for sale.

1205cc maximum displacement. No downsizing.

Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) crankshaft only, must be stock stroke.

No aftermarket cylinders.

No traction control allowed. If part of factory ECU, it must be disabled.

Aftermarket use and or modification of ignition, exhaust, carburation, and mechanical or electronic fuel injection allowed.

Transmission - must be operable in all gears.

Oil Pan and pickup modifications allowed.

Dry sump oil system allowed.

Must have operable on-board battery, starter and clutch.

Must have stock (working) charging system. No cut out allowed.

Methanol or Gas. No Nitrated fuels.

Mufflers mandatory. Tulsa Fairgrounds requires each vehicle’s noise level be below 95DB.

Minimum Weight:

(Post race with driver)

Stock Bore & Stroke 1000cc or less engines 925 lbs.

Up to 1205cc engines 1000 lbs.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/22/13, 3:20 PM   #2
Re: Tulsa Shootout Rules 1200cc's
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

You printed the whole list: is this a test to see if we can guess which rules are the interesting ones? What do we win?

Seriously, the only one that catches my eye is the alternator rule (must have stock charging system). What else strikes you as odd?
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 11/22/13 at 3:21 PM.

11/22/13, 4:33 PM   #3
cws9

Sorry. Guess I could have mentioned what I was thinking. These might be normal rules out east...I didn't research it, just what I found interesting.

Wheelbase shall be 64” to 74”. I always thought 72" was a standard max? When did it go to 74"?

Approved Lighting Sprint car engine is described as a production engine of which at least 100 engines of identical design and assembly have been manufactured and made available for sale. So this means the BMW is legal? Does any group specifically outlaw BMW's?

No traction control allowed. If part of factory ECU, it must be disabled. First time I've seen this rule. How do they disable it and be able to check it is disabled?

Aftermarket use and or modification of ignition, exhaust, carburation, and mechanical or electronic fuel injection allowed. Included this just because of all the talk about the Engler injection. Guess it is starting to catch on?

Dry sump oil system allowed. Hate to see this get started.

Methanol or Gas. No Nitrated fuels. In years past....you had to buy fuel at the Shootout.?

1 member likes this post: STUMPS88
11/22/13, 4:55 PM   #4
DAD

CW

Sounds pretty good to me, we could live by them. Probably composed by a guy that knows something about putting a racing class together.

I think that 74 is for midget chassis WB now. The longer you make them the easier it is to stay on top of them. That is what is wrong with sidewinders.

What is wrong with "BMW Motors" something an old wife told you. We put or TC switch under the hood, all it is is an ign. retard system up to a certain rpm.

If you ever took an oil bath from an old zx10r you would know what I am talking about when favoring a dry sump.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/22/13 at 5:01 PM.

11/22/13, 5:27 PM   #5
Cadpro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws9 View Post
Sorry. Guess I could have mentioned what I was thinking. These might be normal rules out east...I didn't research it, just what I found interesting.

Wheelbase shall be 64” to 74”. I always thought 72" was a standard max? When did it go to 74"?

Dry sump oil system allowed. Hate to see this get started.
WIMS is 74" to more easily accommodate Henchcrafts and the numerous midget-based cars in the group

What's the problem with drysumps? Improved engine reliability and no on-track performance advantage. If anything, the extra weight is a disadvantage. Wetsump- lighter and faster, drysump- heavier, but more reliable. Don't want a drysump, don't buy one... buy motors more often instead.

2 members like this post: DAD, whiteracing27
11/22/13, 6:17 PM   #6
Quantrill

Hey Dad how is that dry sump working out for YOUR motor longevity this year

11/22/13, 6:48 PM   #7
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
Hey Dad how is that dry sump working out for YOUR motor longevity this year
Mark

Thanks for your concern. We are working on it and I am sure we can get things figured out if we keep at it long enough. The good thing is we are still having fun racing, and that is what matters isn't it.

Good luck on your rule book.

Have a nice day

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
11/22/13, 7:58 PM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I think, and mind you this is just my opinion, the rules are written as generally as practical in order to encourage participation from a broad base of potential entries. Given that the Shootout is a non-wing affair for the 1200's I think Dad would agree that the setup and the driver make the difference. Which is how it should be. So, the displacement is set at the "old standard" of 1200cc. Specific motors (eg BMW) aren't excluded. Specific induction systems likewise. My 22-year-old old oil-cooled GSXR 1127 came to me with Hilborn injection, so it certainly isn't something that was invented by Engler within the last few years (what's the big fuss about Engler injection anyway? Are they that much better than Hilborn or Kinsler to be singled out? But I digress). Dry sump is allowed because apparently some clubs let them run. The more the merrier. Disable traction control if you can because it takes driver finesse out of the equation. Like a wing. All sounds good to me. Once I get a season at Montpelier under my belt I may have to give it a shot next year. If I can figure out how to cope with that alternator rule. It's always something...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 11/22/13 at 7:59 PM.

11/22/13, 9:54 PM   #9
SteveB31

I think that is a good rule book. Simple rules. All fit in one page. Easy to tech. Make that the national lightning sprint rule book.

2 members like this post: Cadpro18, DAD
11/23/13, 10:44 AM   #10
Quantrill

Quote:
Good luck on your rule book.
You are giving me to much credit. At the regional lightning sprint meeting we had 4 Lightning sprint groups, two track promoters and two engine builders on site, plus one more lightning sprint group participating live via streaming video. I believe I can speak for everyone that attended in saying it exceeded all of our expectations on cooperation in trying to promote lightning sprints.

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tulsa Shootout Rules 1200cc's